USA Today

USA Today Reviews

Updated Jun 26, 2014

USA Today President Larry Kramer

Larry Kramer

Pros
  • Good Work/Life Balance, nice cafeteria, decent job security(in 6 reviews)

• I think it is a great place to work(in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Little to no interaction with fellow interns(in 3 reviews)

• Upper management needs to be more connected with the organization(in 3 reviews)

Count on a reorg every couple years

Senior Account Executive (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsBig brand, (used to be at least) widely respected for stability and service within ad industry. Today, strong competitive salaries (but wasn't always the case)

ConsStressed revenue from industry challenge means every couple of years, management will swoop in with a structural change - often blindly back to where they were a few years earlier. Long term, there isn't much future beyond the flash and sizzle of some short term gains on marketing side.

Advice to Senior ManagementDetermine what "Usa Today" really is and stick with it, and stop changing / adding new pieces to keep up with the joneses.

Great place to work.

Reporter (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsNice people; good work environment. Editors easy to talk to and welcome to new ideas. Would work there again.

ConsGot laid off when they decided to cut part-time workers. Had always gotten good reviews so really no basis to fire me. But they did it in person, rather than over the phone even though editor was long distance. I appreciated that.

Temporary Employee Experience

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsI was a temporary employee at the McLean location and felt like I had a good experience. Based on my experience at other employers, USA Today treats their temporary employees very fairly in terms of pay.

ConsI did not like the fact that you were forced to take an hour lunch; a half hour is more than enough for me so that felt like wasted time in my day.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Eh.

Reporter (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsAccess to just about everyone.

ConsBully environment. Very unkind. Not at all helpful.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe organized. Be communicative. Don't be bullies. Editors there aren't very kind or helpful.

It's a great brand but has management issues

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Proslots of opportunity to work on many projects
    constantly changing
    great campus

Consat some point there is no place to move up
    benefits besides the onsite gym aren't competitive
    Very little respect for employees

Advice to Senior ManagementPay attention to your employees they are what makes you successful. Treat them poorly and it reflects on you.

A company transitioning during my time of employment

National Accounts Director (Former Employee) McLean, VA

ProsDuring the year I was employed at USA TODAY, Larry Kramer became President and Publisher. I thought he had a great direction for the company, and he seemed genuinely dedicated to making the brand relevant in a digital age. Some of the people there were wonderful to work with, so depending on your team or department, it could be a great place to work.

ConsThere are some great innovative and collaborative people that work there, but innovation and collaboration weren't encouraged in my department. My department was print-focused despite Larry Kramer's external communications about USA TODAY focusing on a digital future. Within my department, people did not seem to move up or move on, so it seemed maintaining "status quo" was the priority. We were encouraged to report on one another, so I felt there was little to no trust or support within the team.

Advice to Senior ManagementFrom what I understand, some restructuring continued after I left. I believe that probably addressed some of the "cons" I described above. I hope they are making an effort to identify staff that are dedicated to Larry Kramer's vision for USA TODAY, and are finding ways to keep and utilize them better. Before, the various departments at USA TODAY didn't seem to work together often (at least mine didn't), and I feel that might have helped as well.

Graphic Designer in Marketing Department

Graphic Designer (Former Employee) McLean, VA

ProsThe Marketing Department had a friendly atmosphere which allowed for collaboration. The actual work was somewhat dull but very high profile since it was either published in the paper or on the website. There was a large cafeteria, gym (although membership fees were taken from your paycheck) and a free parking garage.

ConsIt's located in the worst place in the DMV area - across from Tyson's Corner Mall. The traffic is unbearable coming from any direction 9 months out of the year. The departments within the company are very segregated and do not see eye-to-eye. This made is very hard to collaborate with other creatives in a different department. There were several layers of management that needed to sign off on creative which prevented several great ideas from being fully realized.

Advice to Senior ManagementAllow your team to have more creative control and stop micromanaging every aspect of the department. Consider working more closely with the other creative teams in Gannett Digital and within USA Today. Give employees who do not work on the newspaper the day after Thanksgiving off.

Great place to work

Newsroom Intern (Former Employee) McLean, VA

ProsThe employees at Gannett and USA TODAY are committed to innovation and improving skills. There were a variety of workshops held while working there to boost skills, and the welcoming and exciting environment always made it a pleasure to go to work every day.

ConsThe only negative to this job is working odd hours, which isn't really a critique of Gannett or USA TODAY, but rather a drawback of working in the field of journalism. Regardless of the odd hours worked, the time always went by quickly because the job was exciting.

Great experience, but declining industry

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGood co-workers, my dept had good team environment, autonomy, nice work/life balance, it was great to work on a well known brand

ConsDeclining industry, tough economy for newspapers, strategy kept changing, very numbers driven, work/team experience varies widely depending on what dept. you work in.

Advice to Senior ManagementValue your dedicated employees.

Positive but could use improvement

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Pros-Friendly staff
    -editors were open to my story pitches
    -stories promoted heavily on social media

Cons-Not a lot of feedback on stories
    -Editing errors were not corrected in a timely manner
    -Little to no interaction with fellow interns

Worked for USA Today? Contribute to the Community!