USA Today Reviews

Employment Status

Reset

"Politics..."

I worked at USA Today full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great facility and interesting work. There are still people there that value ethics in journalism.

Cons

Politics, politics, politics. Departments and employees seem to be pitted against each other or doing the same work and everyone seems to do things differently.

Advice to Management

learn to work together

2. Great place to start off your career.

Current Employee - Designer In the Marketing Department in McLean, VA
    Current Employee - Designer In the Marketing Department in McLean, VA

I have been working at USA Today full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people are great! Very easy to get along with, helpful and great teachers. Hours are not too crazy as long as you get your work done. Great place to focus on yourself since the work is not brutal like ad agencies. Plus they have a gym, a nice "campus," decent food, and other perks. It's a great, fresh brand to work with for a company being located in the DC area.

Cons

There's never any budget to do anything cool with USA TODAY's marketing. You really have to rely on stock photography or your own photography. The company's future is uncertain since it has made a couple of bold moves lately.

Advice to Management

Everything pertaining to the creative should be handled by the Creative Director, not by the other higher ups. The other higher ups should be more focused on the strategy and making sure the campaign is on the right direction.

3. Think carefully before accepting an offer

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in McLean, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in McLean, VA

I worked at USA Today full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great for gaining experience to take with you to another employer in a different industry.

Cons

Toxic work environment. Think before accepting a position.

Advice to Management

Damage to corporate culture is extensive and it would be very difficult to turn around.

Sad and Difficult Place

Former Employee - Marketing and Sales in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Marketing and Sales in New York, NY

I worked at USA Today full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Work life balance was great in that most days allowed me to leave the office at 5pm and work from home during inclement weather when needed. My biggest pro was the fact that I did not have great leadership there- it made me very aware of what not to do as a leader and it actually made me a much stronger and better leader myself.

Cons

The office environment was toxic. There was not a germ of positive energy in the room, ever! Turnover was extremely high in ad sales and in marketing. Many of the teams across the NY office felt very junior level, even though title and years of experience noted otherwise. People who recognized this and were looking for more collaboration, an opportunity to learn and advance their skill sets, and less baby sitting of others, often left the company within a year or two at the most. The marketing teams spends majority of the time learning how to write basic powerpoint presentations, even though majority of the team is comprised of manager level individuals and above. Sadly, this team has been positioned as order takers, and not respected by it's marketing management, which in turn creates the same sentiments from other groups in the organization. Yet still, much onus is placed on this team to carry sales since many members of the sales teams are not able to articulate the brand, it's products and ideas for pitches with clients. Many account executives didn't even know how to use their iPads for presentations. Marketing would also spend agonizing hours writing notes for sales to use verbatim during client meetings. Sales planners were left out of many conversations and seemed to tune out what was happening around them. Many times, they had no idea how to build media plans or where to look for things. Majority of work load falls into print, even though they promote that the roles are cross platform. Teams often worked in silo's and had no visibility into each others businesses or initiatives. The goal may be to be a digital leader, but all the work is really just to maintain what is there, not go above or beyond to create digital innovations. In addition to the professional issues noted, it's important to note that benefits and compensation were below par as well. HR was more of a fly on the wall than an adviser. If you try to call your benefits helpline, much luck. It's a game of phone tag where you are transferred around to a dozen people who can't provide you with a straight answer. Benefits themselves are subpar, there is a high out of pocket cost, my medicine was not covered on many occasions, and time off is less than industry average. Also, the company doesn't provide certain holidays that many organizations are used to having (i.e. President's Day, MLK, etc). There is a huge disparity between work life balance in the NY office and in the VA office. VA appears more balanced and reasonable. I've never worked at an organization that was more challenged in organization, strategy and prioritizing it's employees.

Advice to Management

Management is a mixed bag of unprofessional and emotional individuals who take out their frustrations on their teams (and hire all their friends)- from crying to yelling (adding to the poisonous environment.) The CMO is condescending and provides little value to conversations around real world client scenarios. They also are a less than stellar role model for the entire marketing and sales teams. It's obvious and clear that management has no appreciation of employees or makes an effort to prioritize them and their needs.

6. Count on a reorg every couple years

Former Employee - Senior Account Executive in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Senior Account Executive in New York, NY

I worked at USA Today full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Big brand, (used to be at least) widely respected for stability and service within ad industry. Today, strong competitive salaries (but wasn't always the case)

Cons

Stressed revenue from industry challenge means every couple of years, management will swoop in with a structural change - often blindly back to where they were a few years earlier. Long term, there isn't much future beyond the flash and sizzle of some short term gains on marketing side.

Advice to Management

Determine what "Usa Today" really is and stick with it, and stop changing / adding new pieces to keep up with the joneses.

7. Great place to work.

Former Employee - Reporter in New York, NY

I worked at USA Today part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Nice people; good work environment. Editors easy to talk to and welcome to new ideas. Would work there again.

Cons

Got laid off when they decided to cut part-time workers. Had always gotten good reviews so really no basis to fire me. But they did it in person, rather than over the phone even though editor was long distance. I appreciated that.

8. Eh.

Former Employee - Reporter in New York, NY

I worked at USA Today full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Access to just about everyone.

Cons

Bully environment. Very unkind. Not at all helpful.

Advice to Management

Be organized. Be communicative. Don't be bullies. Editors there aren't very kind or helpful.

9. It's a great brand but has management issues

I worked at USA Today full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

lots of opportunity to work on many projects constantly changing great campus

Cons

at some point there is no place to move up benefits besides the onsite gym aren't competitive Very little respect for employees

Advice to Management

Pay attention to your employees they are what makes you successful. Treat them poorly and it reflects on you.

10. A company transitioning during my time of employment

Former Employee - National Accounts Director in McLean, VA
    Former Employee - National Accounts Director in McLean, VA

I worked at USA Today full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

During the year I was employed at USA TODAY, Larry Kramer became President and Publisher. I thought he had a great direction for the company, and he seemed genuinely dedicated to making the brand relevant in a digital age. Some of the people there were wonderful to work with, so depending on your team or department, it could be a great place to work.

Cons

There are some great innovative and collaborative people that work there, but innovation and collaboration weren't encouraged in my department. My department was print-focused despite Larry Kramer's external communications about USA TODAY focusing on a digital future. Within my department, people did not seem to move up or move on, so it seemed maintaining "status quo" was the priority. We were encouraged to report on one another, so I felt there was little to no trust or support within the team.

Advice to Management

From what I understand, some restructuring continued after I left. I believe that probably addressed some of the "cons" I described above. I hope they are making an effort to identify staff that are dedicated to Larry Kramer's vision for USA TODAY, and are finding ways to keep and utilize them better. Before, the various departments at USA TODAY didn't seem to work together often (at least mine didn't), and I feel that might have helped as well.

Graphic Designer in Marketing Department

Former Employee - Graphic Designer in McLean, VA
    Former Employee - Graphic Designer in McLean, VA

I worked at USA Today full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The Marketing Department had a friendly atmosphere which allowed for collaboration. The actual work was somewhat dull but very high profile since it was either published in the paper or on the website. There was a large cafeteria, gym (although membership fees were taken from your paycheck) and a free parking garage.

Cons

It's located in the worst place in the DMV area - across from Tyson's Corner Mall. The traffic is unbearable coming from any direction 9 months out of the year. The departments within the company are very segregated and do not see eye-to-eye. This made is very hard to collaborate with other creatives in a different department. There were several layers of management that needed to sign off on creative which prevented several great ideas from being fully realized.

Advice to Management

Allow your team to have more creative control and stop micromanaging every aspect of the department. Consider working more closely with the other creative teams in Gannett Digital and within USA Today. Give employees who do not work on the newspaper the day after Thanksgiving off.

RSS Feed </> Embed