USA Truck Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
2.2
John M. Simone

Pros
  • Average run is about 800 to 1000 miles (in 12 reviews)

• The other drivers are nice to work with (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • That ad in the trucking papers where they say you can "bank your home time" is an outright lie (in 6 reviews)

• USA is using Drivers Solutions the company so include them in your search (in 12 reviews)

1. Can't think of anything very fun

Former Employee - OTR
    Former Employee - OTR

I worked at USA Truck part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Better trucks better pay insurance treat people better nothing else to say

Cons

Sometimes people better dispatch sometime rude Nothing else to say

Advice to Management

None

2. Good for now

Current Employee - Account Manager in Roseville, CA
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Roseville, CA

I have been working at USA Truck full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Commission is nice, good job out of college, I'm still here because I can't find anything that pays better out there

Cons

Long hours, after hours work not worth the pay 20 word minimum a a a a a a a a

Horrible company

Current Employee - Driver Training in Van Buren, AR
    Current Employee - Driver Training in Van Buren, AR

I have been working at USA Truck

Pros

Nothing worth posting about this company!

Cons

I've been wit this company since April as a driver in training, still with a trainer now! It's now coming on July! Had a discriminating first trainer, filed charges against him, Then new trainer here's him doing the same thing! He still has his Job and another student with him. The dispatch is never on their game! They leave ya hanging for hours! Then they give us load that is impossible to get to on time, then they will blame you, when it's going to be late! This company as a whole has got their head up their Butts! If your a female driver expect to wait 3 weeks in a hotel to get a trainer! A lot of the male trainers do not train female's. And they have a total of 2 women trainers. Was told last week to be brought in for upgrade and we get there to be told I need to go back out for 3 more days because I've not got enough hrs in! This company can't do simple math, or load planing stay away if I were you!

Advice to Management

Get it together! All dispatch should go out for 2 weeks on the trucks so they know what's it's like out here

What

I worked at USA Truck (Less than a year)

Pros

To be fair to them, I had an excellent trainer coming out of school in 2005. I have talked to him in recent years and had tremendous respect for him (although he kept me from home when we were literally 2.5 miles from my house). Other than that, I learned a lot and was ready to drive as soon as I tested out.

Cons

Where do I begin? The first month, I finally got a chance to visit home and see my mother that was dying of cancer. We were told that we would have one day a month to go through the house. I went to the house, and could've spent a couple of days, but my dispatcher rushed me on to St. Louis where I sat for the whole weekend looking at the load I left in the lot. Was supposed to get a 900 mile load to WY, but the driver kept on going past me. So what did USA do for me? They gave me a 230 mile load to Joliet IL where I unloaded 37000 lbs. of tires for $60. Needless to say, I was on my way back to Van Buren to have a talk with my dispatch. They treated us like animals, or robots, which was even worse. The night/weekend dispatch were rude, and one yelled at me for calling too many times for proper directions. They were notorious for waking me up every chance they could...sometimes on the 10hr break, we were told to wake other drivers up. I eventually covered up the speaker on the qualcomm with a piece of velcro tape. The last straw was when my home time came up and they made me sit on the south side of Chicago 2 days into my home time. They weren't going to let me keep those two days and send me back out. I persuaded them to oblige and keep my home time so that I could see my mother. At the end of my home time, I returned my truck to the Vandalia terminal.
    I have never seen so many heartless people in my life! From the maintenance department to the dispatch, they were looking out for themselves. And I didn't mention that all of the students that went through C-1 with me got new trucks, and I was sent, by bus from Indiana to Houston just to get my truck from the wrecker yard. It was in a nasty state...so much that I had to sleep on the top bunk. I got used to it, but not very well. Was more than happy to leave them.

Advice to Management

There's too much to give, and there's no one to read it, or care if they did.

The Sandwich was worth it!

Former Employee - Driver in Little Rock, AR
    Former Employee - Driver in Little Rock, AR

I worked at USA Truck full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

When I went to orientation, I was given a free breakfast. I even got a bus ride to the training. It was great fun! Then when things seemed the best they got even better! :) I was given a free BBQ pork sandwich for lunch. I am glad to live in America where generous companies go out of their way for me. I feel gratitude to USA truck.

Cons

Sometimes I feel bad because I wish I was smarter like my driver mentor and all the sacrifices they go through. Then you have your master of logistics, the driver manager. Yes he is a manager what a glorious title! If I was like him I would never make mistakes. Oh what a thrill it would be to even think about being like the corporate suits who really care.

Advice to Management

No advice. You guys are beyond the best. How do you do it? Look in the mirror and say I am USA. Feel proud! After all look how we change the world.

Are truckers this poor or is it just me?

Current Employee - A Truck Driver in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - A Truck Driver in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at USA Truck

Pros

Why can't I be the guy in the ads making 5000$ a week? This is my 9th month in the trucking industry...I am not dangerous I never hit a car and I need some money...everyone say they get 3000 miles a week. I get 379$ and my Verizon family plan is 250$ month

Cons

I was in us express making big bucks till the mileage slowed down...then I went to usa truck now I'm thinking bout western express because I find my self on duty 16 to 20 hrs wateing for loads with 2 loads cancel per day or never heard of? I make 300- 400$ a week maxed and I have no family time

Advice to Management

If u have miles give 800 mile runs per trip not 400 miles if we gota sit all day long to get a load. Make it count un like you truck drivers have energy bars

Very unpleased.

I have been working at USA Truck

Pros

Decent miles and pay if dedicated.

Cons

Equipment, management. Poorly maintained trailers and tractors. Dispatchers will purposely send you 1,000 miles in opposite direction when time for home. All management says is that it's all part of trucking.

Advice to Management

Quit lying to your drivers and showing favortism. Give them decent new equipment and not specials that International and Freightliner gives on faulty new trucks.

IF you have A clean C.S.A. score stay away from usa truck they only care about their profits-NOT-equipment;safety !!!

Former Employee - Over the Road Driver-48 States in Van Buren, AR
    Former Employee - Over the Road Driver-48 States in Van Buren, AR

I worked at USA Truck full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Lady dispatcher;who had been in Maintenance @ shop who Knew about Equipment;would-NOT-drink the company;cool aid;&LIE to you;she had to hide my home load to Keep it from Being stolen by Dispatchers

Cons

Call you on cell phone-or wake you up -no SLEEP-using Qual-com -during your-10-Hour *REST time-Lack of Delivery/or Good P/up #'s--Customers Who could care LESS-about your-14-Hours of Service!!-If you are-NOT-ROLLING;then you DO-NOT-get -paid$$

Advice to Management

it is About -Respect !! Not the Money Read the Driver Survey's in Heavy Duty Trucking-Your Word Should Be Your Bond!! this -& Equipment;Safety;Need to be the Culture the CORE-Values -From the Top-to the Dispatcher;Repair Shop!!-Your Competition has Less Driver-Turn/Over

My Experience at USA truck

Former Employee - Company Driver in Van Buren, AR
    Former Employee - Company Driver in Van Buren, AR

I worked at USA Truck full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Both of my trainers where fantastic. If you manage to get Bruce or Dan E. as your trainer you are in for some top notch training. When I was assigned my first truck, I was also assigned to some really cool driver managers. I had the pleasure to work for Michael Barnes, Jason Oxford, and their boss who was named Jerry. Both Mike and Jason were awesome, but Jerry is the very definition of the type of guy that truck drivers want to work for. Jerry always let me know what was going on. Jerry went above and beyond to get me home. And Jerry was always concerned about my safety which is a huge plus. Most of the tractors I was assigned to where well maintained and in good condition. I was given loads from top notch companies like Amazon, Piston Automotive, Fedex, and Staples, all of which had extremely professional employees that I to this day I can still call friends. I never had any issues with pay. My co-workers were always available to give advice. I got home just about every weekend. I got plenty of work and made pretty decent money.

Cons

My first truck was a piece of junk. Going up mountains with any real weight in my trailer, the temperature of my engine would rise, but the fans wouldn't cut on to cool it down resulting in overheating and coolant spraying all over the place and into my cab. Was sent in many times to fix this issue, but the breakdown people never listened to what I said was wrong and it never got properly fixed up into the point where Jason got me put in a new truck that was flawless. Most of the guys that did repairs at terminals were incompetent, and I'd sit there waiting on repairs or oil filters for most of some weeks. Some of the brokering companies we did work with were also completely incompetent, such as Focus Solutions, who were the biggest types of idiots that would screw up even the most basic runs that were the same weekly, which in turn made USA truck look bad to the customers which quite frankly really pissed me off. If one of the driver managers made the mistake of giving a member of Focus your number, you would get constant calls reminding you of tardiness that was not our fault but theirs, to the point that it was unsafe because they would constantly call you while you're driving. Communication between the day managers and the night and weekend managers was not always very good either, so those guys would not know what was going on a lot of the time. A lot of the trailers I got were junk too, and even if you take them to terminals they aren't likely to get fixed. One of the safety guys down in Texas is a jerk and extremely unprofessional, won't mention his name.

Advice to Management

Jerry is freaking awesome, and if you can get him in charge of training your driver managers to be as good as him I could really see your company going places. Try to keep your student driver graduates rolling and getting paid after they graduate to keep them from getting disenchanted about your company and trucking all together. Get on your terminals! The ones I went to (Atlanta, Tipp City) where abysmal. Also change your pet policy, I missed my dog. Don't spare expenses when it comes to truck and trailer safety.

Decent place

I worked at USA Truck

Pros

Great place to work if interested in trucking.

Cons

No complaints so far. Worth it!

RSS Feed </> Embed