USA Truck

Updated January 3, 2015
Updated January 3, 2015
2.6

John M. Simone

Pros
  • pay was not bad they kept you moving if you wanted the miles they had them (in 12 reviews)

• new equipment for drivers, security is getting better (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • That ad in the trucking papers where they say you can "bank your home time" is an outright lie (in 6 reviews)

• slow trucks, old computers in them, not up todate with technology, will not listen to drivers (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

My Experience at USA truck

Former Employee - Company Driver in Van Buren, AR
    Former Employee - Company Driver in Van Buren, AR

I worked at USA Truck full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Both of my trainers where fantastic. If you manage to get Bruce or Dan E. as your trainer you are in for some top notch training. When I was assigned my first truck, I was also assigned to some really cool driver managers. I had the pleasure to work for Michael Barnes, Jason Oxford, and their boss who was named Jerry. Both Mike and Jason were awesome, but Jerry is the very definition of the type of guy that truck drivers want to work for. Jerry always let me know what was going on. Jerry went above and beyond to get me home. And Jerry was always concerned about my safety which is a huge plus. Most of the tractors I was assigned to where well maintained and in good condition. I was given loads from top notch companies like Amazon, Piston Automotive, Fedex, and Staples, all of which had extremely professional employees that I to this day I can still call friends. I never had any issues with pay. My co-workers were always available to give advice. I got home just about every weekend. I got plenty of work and made pretty decent money.

Cons

My first truck was a piece of junk. Going up mountains with any real weight in my trailer, the temperature of my engine would rise, but the fans wouldn't cut on to cool it down resulting in overheating and coolant spraying all over the place and into my cab. Was sent in many times to fix this issue, but the breakdown people never listened to what I said was wrong and it never got properly fixed up into the point where Jason got me put in a new truck that was flawless. Most of the guys that did repairs at terminals were incompetent, and I'd sit there waiting on repairs or oil filters for most of some weeks. Some of the brokering companies we did work with were also completely incompetent, such as Focus Solutions, who were the biggest types of idiots that would screw up even the most basic runs that were the same weekly, which in turn made USA truck look bad to the customers which quite frankly really pissed me off. If one of the driver managers made the mistake of giving a member of Focus your number, you would get constant calls reminding you of tardiness that was not our fault but theirs, to the point that it was unsafe because they would constantly call you while you're driving. Communication between the day managers and the night and weekend managers was not always very good either, so those guys would not know what was going on a lot of the time. A lot of the trailers I got were junk too, and even if you take them to terminals they aren't likely to get fixed. One of the safety guys down in Texas is a jerk and extremely unprofessional, won't mention his name.

Jerry is freaking awesome, and if you can get him in charge of training your driver managers to be as good as him I could really see your company going places. Try to keep your student driver graduates rolling and getting paid after they graduate to keep them from getting disenchanted about your company and trucking all together. Get on your terminals! The ones I went to (Atlanta, Tipp City) where abysmal. Also change your pet policy, I missed my dog. Don't spare expenses when it comes to truck and trailer safety.

undecided

Current Employee - Company Driver

I have been working at USA Truck as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

when i ask to go home i am able to

Cons

Now i have been here for only a few months fresh out of school, all i want to do is drive and make money,however every week there is a problem,either with not being able to find a empty which i had to sit for two days waiting for one, or my dm does not know what he is doing,sending me on a run that someone else is on.one week i had to go get my truck repaired sat for two days until it was fixed. i have not had a paycheck over six hundred dollars. i cant leave because they paid for my school.they have me by the balls.All i want to do is drive and make the money i was promised.not happening.after reading these reviews i wonder if it ever will. so dissapointed!

Get from behind your desk and open your eyes,it seems your only worried about the big overall picture like the 1.5 million you made.without good training,and communication.you will have nothing in the long haul.

It is a good company to work for.

Current Employee - Night Driver Manager in West Memphis, AR
    Current Employee - Night Driver Manager in West Memphis, AR

I have been working at USA Truck

Pros

I enjoy working with the drivers and the pay is good.

Cons

I live in Memphis, but have to travel to West Memphis, AR.

Listen more to concerns of drivers and employees.

Decent place

I worked at USA Truck

Pros

Great place to work if interested in trucking.

Cons

No complaints so far. Worth it!

Best company I have ever worked for

Former Employee - OTR Driver in Fort Smith, AR
    Former Employee - OTR Driver in Fort Smith, AR

I worked at USA Truck full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The routes are normally easily the memorize. Every company that I have her has been on the stock market. USA truck has haul for just about. Driver trainers make good money.

Cons

Waiting outside Walmarts for a appointment number is quite annoying. Especially if you're waiting so long that you have to take your. 10 hour break and is almost so convenient that you miss out on an extra load heading back home. So you can get that extra hundred bucks in your paycheck. Salaries are capped on average so you never make $1000 a week. Solo diver.

It has happened so many times I quit over it.

Other than that gripe management is awesome. The owner of the company is awesome.

Been good so far

Current Employee - Company Driver

I have been working at USA Truck (more than an year)

Pros

Good company work with you have a newer truck from get go let you work not on you if they know you can do the job

Cons

Lower wage than my last company have a battery operated cooling and heating apu good for ten hours only not been a problem but worried about it when there would be one truck has a idle cut off

They take advantage of new out of school drivers

Former Employee - Solo Driver
    Former Employee - Solo Driver

I worked at USA Truck full-time (more than an year)

Pros

That they will hire anybody with a Class A C.D.L

Cons

They run you for 2100 miles a week and you get your pay check and it say settlement owed from driver

Care about your drivers and they spend long days and nights out and miss family things that I would like to be there and memories that you cant get back from moving USA Truck fright around a the Usa at lease pay them for there work not settlement owed from driver every week.... the ceo only care about what money goes in his pocket care about the drivers that help you put that money in your pocket

Past and current topics to research before going.

Former Employee - OTR Truck Driver in Van Buren, AR
    Former Employee - OTR Truck Driver in Van Buren, AR

I worked at USA Truck full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Read reviews and ask yourselves if you believe them. Why are they 5 star? Would you leave a 5 star company or stay? Lots of 5 star posts.

Cons

Read reviews and ask why are they 1 star? On your own do a google search about reviews of this company. I did my best at this company and had to quit because I felt it was a joke. Need I say more. So see what you find. It's up to you. USA is using Drivers Solutions the company so include them in your search. I was not happy with them either. They are the financing method used to place you into USA.

Good job on replacing your CFO or ex CEO. That shows you might keep going. The performance of the company was running into the ground during his tenure. Who else needs to go. can the vindictive drivers managers, and keep the supportive ones. You might be able to retain and create some real team players. Don't just chunk your drivers for any old reason.

Dangerous Trucks and Low Pay

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at USA Truck full-time (less than an year)

Pros

There is no good reason to work for this company. Drive at your own risk. Don't say you weren't warned.

Cons

They don't service trucks. Reques service 18 times & was ignored. My AP unit & PeopleNet blew one week after picking up truck. No A/C in 100° + temps.. Steering iso far off. Pretty obvious truck has been wreaked before. Kept getting loads that took me though main Service Center locations, Atlanta, Laredo, Dallas, West Memphis but they wouldn't let me take truck to be repaired. Air dam fell off driving through TN. Whole days of driving & miles disappeared from my pay. Was told they "washed" my check. Is that some "Creative Accounting"? Is that how this company had their 1st profitable quarter in 3 years, because they're "washing" - another word for Stealing- our money?! RUN, don't walk away from this company, as fast as you can!!

No bonus for management or higher until all trucks are in good working order and QUIT WASHING CHECKS, UNLESS YOU WANT IRS AUDITS FOR ANOTHER 10 YEARS. Also, DOT will be looking out for USA Trucks. Since USA doesn't.

8 years, the last 1.5 hell.

I have been working at USA Truck

Pros

There are not any , it's a cookie cutter company, the last year and a half it's really gone down.

Cons

A lot more than 20 words, don't care about retaining drivers, 8.5 years I'm gone.

Doesn't do any good, too give them advice especially from a driver.

USA Truck Photos