USAA

USAA Reviews in Colorado Springs, CO

Updated June 16, 2014
Updated June 16, 2014

3.5

USAA President and CEO Joe Robles Jr.
Joe Robles Jr.

Pros
  • Great benefits and a wide variety of possibilities with such a large company (in 138 reviews)

• Work life balance is important to the company (in 34 reviews)

Cons
  • Call center environment so you're at your desk taking phone calls the entire shift (in 90 reviews)

• There is NO work/life balance as they would like others to believe (in 22 reviews)

More Highlights

31 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Best employer ever.

Current Employee - Financial Foundations Associate  in  Colorado Springs, CO
    Current Employee - Financial Foundations Associate in Colorado Springs, CO

Pros

Any corporation can tell you how lucky you are to work there, and most smugly attempt to do so. I've lived the nightmare of working in the call center industry for 6 years, being the corporate scapegoat, and dealing with much more stress than humans ought to be subjected to.
    USAA is so incredibly different. The members who call in (military) are of a higher caliber. Sure, you'll get a jerk every now and then, but that's unavoidable. Members are constantly telling me how proud they are to have USAA. I'm showered with compliments on a daily basis.
    The company believes strongly in a work/life balance, and puts many incentives in place to help you achieve your goals beyond the cubicle walls. The company helped me quit smoking, lose 20 pounds, and has me on a budget plan to help me (FINALLY) get out of credit card debt.
    The culture shock was strong at first, but once I realized USAA was The Real Deal, I became their loudest supporter.
    In terms of advancement, the doors are wide open. Your career path is something that managers coach you on consistently since day one. I've been there 8 months, but I've already graduated 3 levels of skillsets. My next title bump and (significant) pay increase comes next month.
    The annual performance bonuses are fantastic.
    My quality of life has improved drastically since I started working for USAA. If you're on the fence about accepting a position here, I would strongly recommend it.

Cons

For the insurance side of things, you only get a week to study for your state licensing exam. The content is the equivalent of a semester's worth of college course work, but you have to get it down in a week. SUPER stressful.
    The starting pay is pretty decent proportionally to the duties assigned. You may be able to get a higher salary at a different company, but, just remember, your salary is only a base. The benefits beyond the base pay are tangible and useful.
    It's call center work, which is... Not for everyone. You have to be a quick thinker with thick skin, and you have to be REALLY good at not taking things personally.

Best Company in the world

Current Employee - Auto Adjuster II  in  Colorado Springs, CO
    Current Employee - Auto Adjuster II in Colorado Springs, CO

Pros

Good benefits, flex time, feels like working with family, and employees are valued. Achievable goals and metrics

Cons

Always very busy which helps the day go by fast. Large company so competition for advancement can be challenging but the sky is the limit

Great Company to Work For!

Current Employee - Financial Foundations Associate  in  Colorado Springs, CO
    Current Employee - Financial Foundations Associate in Colorado Springs, CO

Pros

Great company who really cares about their members and employees. They live by their mission statement and are passionate about who USAA is. Great compensation and excellent benefits. Awesome 401k plan, the best I've seen!

Cons

Call center environment so you're at your desk taking phone calls the entire shift. But trade off is worth it.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great Company for starting out in claims

Former Employee - Inside Auto Claims Adjuster III  in  Colorado Springs, CO
    Former Employee - Inside Auto Claims Adjuster III in Colorado Springs, CO

Pros

Good benefits, 401k fully vested right away, management was a great mix of personalities, secure location to work, cafeteria onsite, company does really care about members, good bonus structure

Cons

Very rigid schedule, entry level is very regimented and tied to the phone, high volume of claims, difficult to meet company metrics, vacation is tied to seniority as is shift scedule

Great company

Current Employee - Casualty Claims Examiner  in  Colorado Springs, CO
    Current Employee - Casualty Claims Examiner in Colorado Springs, CO

Pros

Performance based promotions and great benefits

Cons

Little bureaucratic, decisions sometimes slow

USAA in Colorado Springs

Former Employee - Financial Foundations Specialist in Colorado Springs, CO

Pros

They pay well and annual bonus is awesome

Cons

Management makes you feel like you are never good enough pushing you on the sales end

great for perks

Former Employee - Auto Claim Adjuster  in  Colorado Springs, CO
    Former Employee - Auto Claim Adjuster in Colorado Springs, CO

Pros

on-site day care
    friendly managers
    work/life balance
    great pay

Cons

long interview process
    short time to learn and pass insurance exam

Great Company

Former Employee - Financial Foundations Specialist in Colorado Springs, CO

Pros

Benefits, Management are great, VPs are always walking around meeting with you not always in their office, On Site Child Care, Appreciation celebrations

Cons

I have no Cons I would still be employed if it wasn't for personal issues.

Job can be Difficut, but the Company supports its employees!

Former Employee - Financial Foundations Associate  in  Colorado Springs, CO
    Former Employee - Financial Foundations Associate in Colorado Springs, CO

Pros

I have never worked for a company that took such time to thank its employees as much as USAA did. They truly appreciated my military background and there are many ways to succeed with them if you are willing to work your way up. The only reason I left was because I had to move to a different state where USAA didn't have a location.

Cons

It is a call center job so you will have those calls in which people aren't the nicest, but if you can get past that USAA will give you all the tools you need to succeed.

n/a

A great company that truly cares about its employees and members

Former Employee - Financial Foundations Specialist in Colorado Springs, CO

Pros

USAA truly cares about the people who work there. I have never seen an employer go so far out of their way to make sure its employees have what they need. While other companies are only giving bonuses to executives, USAA gives them to the frontline employees because they understand how integral they are to the organization. What company does that any more? I mean seriously. Stop and think about it. And what a wonderful group of employees they are. USAA seeks out and attracts the best talent they can and these people come together and not only do they make an excellent team, but they try so hard to take care of the members, and they do a great job. I also appreciate that USAA wants to help its members, and they don't frustrate the employees efforts to do so. How many companies say they care about their customers when they really only care about their money? I can't speak for the character of all 24000 employees but the company as a whole, from the top to the bottom, is a model of integrity, honesty, loyalty and service. Every company is not like that. Every insurance company isn't like that...And while I left to pursue a dream career outside of what USAA could offer me, I realize that it is so important to love where you work, even if you don't love what you're doing. And the best thing by far is their tuition assistance program. Thank you USAA for helping me to pursue my dreams and learn how to be professional, responsible and know how an employer should treat me as well as its customers.

Cons

Scheduling is an issue. It's great that USAA offers 4 and 5 day work weeks, work at home, etc, but there is no excuse for not being able to give someone a day off when they can give a month's notice. Or even a few days off with a few months' notice. I mean, come on. I've worked places with only a few others who could replace me and they could handle this type of request, and in a place where there are hundreds of others who can do my job... Just get it figured out. Yes, we want to be available for the members but we'd also like to be available for what is important to us and our families. I was unable to go on any missions trips with my church because they only gave me 9 months' notice at the beginning of the year, whereas USAA asks that all vacation time be requested off the year before. That's great for Christmas and July. Not so great for any individual situations. Secondly, USAA tries to attract the best talent in the industry, then too often they let them stagnate in one position because there is so little opportunity for advancement or rotation off of the phones. Let talented people use their skills! Also, it's clear to the employees and members that sales are a priority. It is well understood that it's the right thing to protect the members' financial security, but sometimes positive reinforcement is a better motivator than negative reinforcement. Rewards need to be offered for closed sales or superior sales efforts.

Offer quarterly bonuses for employees that exceed expectations in sales and productivity. Goofy competitions where all you offer for excellence in sales is ice cream and bagels get old. Try to open up more opportunities for advancement off of the phones in Colorado. Use the talents of these amazing educated people and they will do even more for the company than you ever thought possible because they will feel more impactful, useful, and fulfilled instead of seeking fulfillment elsewhere. No amount of benefits or bonuses will motivate a talented person who feels their talents are not being used.

Worked for USAA? Contribute to the Community!