USAA
www.usaa.com San Antonio, TX 5000+ Employees

USAA Reviews

Updated Jul 9, 2014

USAA President and CEO Joe Robles Jr.

Joe Robles Jr.

Pros:
  • "Great benefits and the building is equipped with many wonderful employee friendly features"
    in 129 reviews
  • "Work life balance is important to the company"
    in 32 reviews
Cons:
  • "Call center environment so you're at your desk taking phone calls the entire shift"
    in 83 reviews
  • "No work life balance, if you miss one single day in the first 6 months you are fired on the spot"
    in 21 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Love the mission.

ProsThe mission and the members you work with. Getting to comminicate and work with executives in a regular basis.

ConsUsually have to work above your position for a significant amount of time before getting promoted and paid for the job.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay your employees for the work they do. Give raises based on performance without the scale that tries to equalize everyone's pay.

A very impressive place to work

Insurance Agent (Former Employee)
    Sacramento, CA

Prosworking with a team that cares about you, team leaders that motivate you to do better

Consmeeting a "quota" of sales

Advice to Senior Managementdo not focus so much on each call and dissecting the good and bad of the call. Focus on the individual agent and how he/she brings positivity to the company

Good place to start.

Home Equity Loan Counselor (Current Employee)
    San Antonio, TX

ProsGood entry level jobs, upward mobility very possible as they seem to only promote from within. Awesome workout facilities and cafeteria. Good employee culture. Decent bonus and over-time often available.

ConsThe job became mind numbing, not challenging, very repetitious. If you move up to manager or other type of position then there may be variety but if not then be prepared to do the same thing over and over. Also be prepared to work 60+ hours in management position with no overtime, salary only at that level.

Advice to Senior ManagementCross train employees as a rule not the exception. You will have greater job satisfaction if people are truly engaged and challenged at work.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Huge disconnect.

User Experience Designer (Former Employee)
    San Antonio, TX

ProsGreat building with lots of amenities.

ConsTop level management and front liners are amazing .... It's the ineffectual, bloated, and insecure middle management that is frightening.

Advice to Senior ManagementLean teams of experienced employees who have a distinctive voice are what is needed at USAA. The second floor is full of inexperienced people with nothing more than management training -- stalking around in hallways looking important and fighting for titles should not be an actual career path.

Shock

Call Center Representative (Former Employee)

ProsIf you have worked there previously, you may enjoy the culture. They do know how to hire good people, so co-workers are wonderful.

ConsThere was no definitive answer for most questions. Training felt like a cross between boot camp and a bad public school. For those who weathered changes and expansions and grew with the company, things seem easier. Training is not adequate, and is extremely stressful. I have the impression from others, including customers, that it used to be better. Maybe there was rapid expansion and not enough oversight. Things may get better, since the foundation is good, but not until the problems are faced.

Advice to Senior ManagementOversight over training for entry level positions should be calibrated and improved.Those who teach should have experience in effective teaching. There was little consistency in method or quality of trainers and managers.

Average Company at Best

Financial Foundations Associate (Current Employee)
    Tampa, FL

Pros~ Great Benefits (Health, Up to $10k for College, & 401k Match)
    ~ Grounds are Beautiful

Cons- MicroManaged
    - Unrealistic Quality Standards
    - On-Site Gym is Double the cost of LA Fitness, which is much better & had multiple locations
    - Poor base pay. Although the generous profit sharing bonus helps, it only comes in February.
    - Feel like just a number
    - Extremely difficult to get time off

Claims Adjuster

General Adjuster (Former Employee)
    San Antonio, TX

ProsGreat pay and great benefits.

ConsPrior to starting 10 years ago, I was warned that they would work me to death. I have found that to be true. There is NO work/life balance as they would like others to believe. They tripled in their policy base since the time that I started but did not increase the size of our field claims staff by even one person while other departments kept increasing to keep up with the workflow.

Advice to Senior ManagementStaff all departments accordingly so that field claims do not have to put in 70 hours plus per week and work while on vacation.

Great company! Great Benefits! Great annual bonuses and holiday bonus!!!

MRS I (Former Employee)
    San Antonio, TX

ProsYou just have to answer calls, and they train so well, you cannot go wrong. They pay for all licensing. You are ready to answer questions; well prepared. They take care of their employees. You get an annual performance bonus in February each year that has been around 18% each year for the last 5 years, they give you $3000 per year on a medical card that continues to accrue so if you retire you have all the money you need to care for your healthcare, I left with $12000 in my card after just 5 years and a couple procedure that drained my card. You get 4 floating holidays, 3 flex holidays, 2 bonus CEO days off, holidays plus 3 weeks of vacation; adds up to 2 months of time off and the more hours (OT) you work the more time you earn. PTO is never a flat rate, you can work 4 10 hours shifts, 5 8 hours and a number of different start times are available. All you have to do is make sure you offer appropriate solutions and do your job, answer calls- so easy. I loved that company and had to leave after 10 years. I was automatically promoted 5 positions and $35000 increase in my salary over the 10 years there. Education is the best! You get an education card that pays up to $5250.00 and no reimbursement is needed so you don't get stuck with loans, great 401k matches, you can take up to 2 401k loans if needed. disability pay is up to 100% depending on your length of employment

ConsIts difficult to get time off you really want if you are not tenured but you will still get time off

Advice to Senior ManagementI really liked all management there.

Great place to work but have to be willing to stick to the phone! All hands on deck at all times!

Mortgage Specialist (Current Employee)
    San Antonio, TX

ProsPay, people, culture, and prestige.

ConsYou are tied to the phone like no other company in history. But hey, its a call center and that what your paid to do right?

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work!

Best Company in the world

Auto Adjuster II (Current Employee)
    Colorado Springs, CO

ProsGood benefits, flex time, feels like working with family, and employees are valued. Achievable goals and metrics

ConsAlways very busy which helps the day go by fast. Large company so competition for advancement can be challenging but the sky is the limit

Worked for USAA? Contribute to the Community!

USAA Videos

USAA – Why Work for Us?

USAA's Mission The mission of the association is to facilitate the financial security of its members, associates, and their families through provision of a full range of highly competitive financial products and… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at USAA reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for USAA CEO Joe Robles Jr. All 718 reviews posted anonymously by USAA employees.