USAA

www.usaa.com

USAA Reviews

Updated Jul 23, 2014

USAA President and CEO Joe Robles Jr.

Joe Robles Jr.

Pros
  • Great benefits and the building is equipped with many wonderful employee friendly features(in 137 reviews)

• Work life balance is important to the company(in 34 reviews)

Cons
  • Call center environment so you're at your desk taking phone calls the entire shift(in 88 reviews)

• There is NO work/life balance as they would like others to believe(in 22 reviews)

Best employer ever.

Financial Foundations Associate (Current Employee) Colorado Springs, CO

ProsAny corporation can tell you how lucky you are to work there, and most smugly attempt to do so. I've lived the nightmare of working in the call center industry for 6 years, being the corporate scapegoat, and dealing with much more stress than humans ought to be subjected to.
    USAA is so incredibly different. The members who call in (military) are of a higher caliber. Sure, you'll get a jerk every now and then, but that's unavoidable. Members are constantly telling me how proud they are to have USAA. I'm showered with compliments on a daily basis.
    The company believes strongly in a work/life balance, and puts many incentives in place to help you achieve your goals beyond the cubicle walls. The company helped me quit smoking, lose 20 pounds, and has me on a budget plan to help me (FINALLY) get out of credit card debt.
    The culture shock was strong at first, but once I realized USAA was The Real Deal, I became their loudest supporter.
    In terms of advancement, the doors are wide open. Your career path is something that managers coach you on consistently since day one. I've been there 8 months, but I've already graduated 3 levels of skillsets. My next title bump and (significant) pay increase comes next month.
    The annual performance bonuses are fantastic.
    My quality of life has improved drastically since I started working for USAA. If you're on the fence about accepting a position here, I would strongly recommend it.

ConsFor the insurance side of things, you only get a week to study for your state licensing exam. The content is the equivalent of a semester's worth of college course work, but you have to get it down in a week. SUPER stressful.
    The starting pay is pretty decent proportionally to the duties assigned. You may be able to get a higher salary at a different company, but, just remember, your salary is only a base. The benefits beyond the base pay are tangible and useful.
    It's call center work, which is... Not for everyone. You have to be a quick thinker with thick skin, and you have to be REALLY good at not taking things personally.

Great bank, mixed feelings about them as an employer

Software/Systems Engineer I (Former Employee) San Antonio, TX

ProsGreat benefits and a wide variety of possibilities with such a large company.
    One-on-one meetings with management is a good practice

ConsEntrenched bureaucracy; highly resistance to change, improvements or efficiency.
    The experience varies greatly depending on what department or manager you are under. Some are highly supportive of their employees, others not so much.
    There is a long list of ways you can get fired for simple mistakes

Advice to Senior ManagementManagers that are incredibly overworked with special duties themselves have a harder time managing employees.
    Managers typically have no idea what their employees have done when they write performance reviews.
    Strive for better management training and oversight and soliciting feedback from employees to ensure a better , more consistent experience; how a manager treats their employees makes the largest difference in job satisfaction.

I Remain Neutral

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsExcellent benefits and compensation. They treat their employees well overall and encouraging support system for the most part.

ConsTurning into a call center and growing too fast with not enough employees which is causing them to become similar to their competitors.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Summer job to screen for full time workers.

MSR IV (Former Employee) San Antonio, TX

ProsGreat training program and facilities. I came in with NO call center experience and they churned out a phone answering person. They worked with me when I struggled. They promote from within.

ConsIf you don't cover the 3 mandatory questions at the start of a call as required by the big man, then you are in trouble. Since it is a call center, you are micro managed. You can get on your supervisor`s bad list in a hurry. The pay is horrible, but then again it is in San Antonio.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake a step back and really evaluate the talent and not push someone out because you can.

Company Culture is changing... and not in a good way.

Claims Adjuster (Current Employee)

ProsPay, including Christmas and annual bonuses are decent.

ConsTied to phones and every minute of the day is monitored with little flexibility. If you try to complete a task that takes longer than 5 min, managers IM you to get back on the phone. They are constantly understaffed and expect you to do more with less. Members no longer have the loyalty and love of the company and are more likely to be belligerent or demand coverage for losses for which there is none. Leadership constantly says they recognize the struggle and thank you but don't do enough to actually fix the issues. They say they have an open door policy but actually speaking up is considered "complaining" and is frowned upon no matter how constructive or polite you phrase your concerns. Finally, to get ahead, many people break company rules and fraternize with managers outside of work and cheat the phone states to get ahead, and it usually works putting honest employees at a disadvantage.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire ahead of the attrition curve. People leave because of stress and the turn around time from posting an opening to having a trained person in the desk is so long that jobs are not forecast to cover the constant loss of people and the increasing customer base.

USAA is a great place to start in the financial advising industry, but not the best long-term option.

Financial Advisor III (Former Employee) Phoenix, AZ

ProsHelping veterans, training, personal growth, educational benefits, company values, nice facilities, deferred compensation bonus

Conspromotions, unrealistic goals with little reward, coaching, not adhering to company values

Advice to Senior ManagementFinancial Advisors and financial counselors have different roles, call distribution should be handled accordingly and goals for reps should be allocated appropriately. Most people do need life insurance, but not everyone can afford it right away.

Great place to be an employee, not management

ProsHigh pay, everyone gets at least 20% in bonuses each year (holiday + annual), campus amenities, fulfilling mission, great benefits and 401k match

ConsBureaucracy above and beyond the norm for a large company. As an individual contributor it was all about the men and women who serve. In management, it's all about helping your executive out maneuver his/her rivals. With very limited potential new clients (must be military or veterans) slow growth will be a headwind for career growth.

Advice to Senior ManagementExpand membership. Give more than lip service
    To your call to be "collaborative"

Good place to start.

Home Equity Loan Counselor (Current Employee) San Antonio, TX

ProsGood entry level jobs, upward mobility very possible as they seem to only promote from within. Awesome workout facilities and cafeteria. Good employee culture. Decent bonus and over-time often available.

ConsThe job became mind numbing, not challenging, very repetitious. If you move up to manager or other type of position then there may be variety but if not then be prepared to do the same thing over and over. Also be prepared to work 60+ hours in management position with no overtime, salary only at that level.

Advice to Senior ManagementCross train employees as a rule not the exception. You will have greater job satisfaction if people are truly engaged and challenged at work.

Huge disconnect.

User Experience Designer (Former Employee) San Antonio, TX

ProsGreat building with lots of amenities.

ConsTop level management and front liners are amazing .... It's the ineffectual, bloated, and insecure middle management that is frightening.

Advice to Senior ManagementLean teams of experienced employees who have a distinctive voice are what is needed at USAA. The second floor is full of inexperienced people with nothing more than management training -- stalking around in hallways looking important and fighting for titles should not be an actual career path.

Shock

Call Center Representative (Former Employee)

ProsIf you have worked there previously, you may enjoy the culture. They do know how to hire good people, so co-workers are wonderful.

ConsThere was no definitive answer for most questions. Training felt like a cross between boot camp and a bad public school. For those who weathered changes and expansions and grew with the company, things seem easier. Training is not adequate, and is extremely stressful. I have the impression from others, including customers, that it used to be better. Maybe there was rapid expansion and not enough oversight. Things may get better, since the foundation is good, but not until the problems are faced.

Advice to Senior ManagementOversight over training for entry level positions should be calibrated and improved.Those who teach should have experience in effective teaching. There was little consistency in method or quality of trainers and managers.

Worked for USAA? Contribute to the Community!