USAA

www.usaa.com

USAA Reviews

Updated Jul 21, 2014

USAA President and CEO Joe Robles Jr.

Joe Robles Jr.

Pros
  • Great benefits and the building is equipped with many wonderful employee friendly features(in 137 reviews)

• Work life balance is important to the company(in 34 reviews)

Cons
  • Call center environment so you're at your desk taking phone calls the entire shift(in 88 reviews)

• There is NO work/life balance as they would like others to believe(in 22 reviews)

Sr specialist nms

Financial Foundations Senior Specialist (Current Employee) Phoenix, AZ

Pros8% 401k match, facility, PCA account card, Starbucks in the building, covered parking, gym, helping the military community

ConsThey will work you to the bone, computers and IT systems are horrible, expectations are outrageous, never feel like your doing a good job as focus is always on what you could have done better, you are basically guilted into performance and if that doesn't work they will strike the fear in you, scheduling is a joke, PTO must be bid for 1 yr in advance, employees constantly using FMLA due to stressful environment, rules ate made up as you go, employees who are shady get the numbers and are thus promoted, no quality assurance accountability

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you cant tell the company is going down the tubes and the reputation is on the line, wake up. New price model is ruining reputation as competitors consistently come in lower, if your 97% member retention is not good enough than nothing is, stop selling the MC and hiring car salesman

Low pay, easy work

Financial Foundations Associate (Current Employee) Tampa, FL

ProsWork is easy, good benefits, friendly co workers

Consconstant call monitoring, high volume call center work, non flixble hours, overly strict badge policy. Only advancment for call center positions in a trainer or manager.

outdated systems and isolating culture

Financial Advisor III (Current Employee) Phoenix, AZ

Prossalary and bonus
    getting and staying healthy can reduce your insurance costs

Consteam members work varying shifts so you may not discover who your teammates are for a few weeks
    vacations must be scheduled a YEAR in advance, a day off needs over 30 days notice
    schedules change yearly,for entire company, based on when you were hired and how well you perform, currently bidding on 40 schedules, over half of which i have no chance of getting due to initial hire date
     most schedules do not allow 2 consecutive days off
    processes require duplicating work just to get an account opened

Advice to Senior Managementwealth advisers learn from each other, difficult to do with current team hours/desk set up
    stop the annual bidding, if people are happy with current schedules,why make them change and disrupt their lives? change teams to change schedules

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great place to develop skills or for those who just want a steady paycheck and love monotony.

Financial Solutions Advisor (Former Employee) Phoenix, AZ

ProsGreat benefits.
    Especially tuition reimbursement plan up to $10k per year.

ConsMonotonous work on a daily basis.
    Deeply rooted military mentality where favoritism rules.

A good company but very stressful

ProsNice benefits. great team environment. Hours okay.

Consworking in a call center environment

Inspiring mission & top-notch people, generous benefits, yet unfulfilling work.

Specialized Investment Services Representative (Former Employee) Dallas, TX

ProsTrainers do an excellent job of on boarding new employees by teaching about company military culture. The idea of serving military men and women and their families is so heart-warming and compelling.

Leadership makes themselves available to speak even to new hires.

Rewards and recognition efforts promote a positive team environment.

At the newest location, the workspace is extremely well-thought-out and ergonomic with adjustable chair, desk and monitor set-up. Spacious, light and airy-- not what you'd expect for a call center.

Better pay for type of work. Competitive benefits structure- especially retirement plan.

ConsNo amount of training can prepare someone for the broad range of calls they are expected to service. Even though the job title was "specialized member services," there was nothing specialized about this role.

Meanwhile USAA has several investment policies that are real dissatisfiers for members. I often felt embarrassed by limitations I had to stand behind when servicing members.

The job listing and HR mentioned flexible work schedules, but there was no opportunity to work a different schedule.

Overall- Despite feeling so inspired and proud to work for a company that serves the military, I felt that USAA (Investment Management Company) was typical of any other corporate investments firm with regard to service levels for members, and in some respects (like the rigid member investment policies) less accommodating than other firms.

The enormity of "going above for those that have gone beyond" evoked a deep, personal sense of pride and responsibility to perform at a high level to serve our members. The reality was I left work every day feeling terrible about the member experience I was providing due to the broad range of call types that I was unprepared for coupled with the lacking associate resources (which meant lengthy holds for members while trying to find answers to seemingly easy questions).

As a woman, I also felt out of place in a prodominantly male, militaristic environment. The flexible work schedule could have gone a long way in helping me feel that USAA values and understands the need for work/home balance.

Great Potential that Falls Extremely Short.

Sr Investment Services Specialist (Current Employee) Phoenix, AZ

ProsThe Benefits, On site Facilities, 401k Match, Education Advancement paid up to 10k per year, Most Co-workers, and Members that we serve.

Cons-Low Pay vs Competition
    -Extreme Micro Management
    -Upper Management is always unavailable for members and Monday-morning quarterback everything you do
    -Led to believe doing the right thing is all that matters but in reality only hard #'s do.
    -Adherence pushed to insane levels where next call is all that matters. Are told not to follow up on tasks and to make members wait for things that we do not need them to.
    -0 Accountability from Some Employees. Members transferred to extreme level for no reason at all just to get a referral tick mark.
    -Ancient systems that don't work 50% of the time.
    -Almost non-existent Documentation of events for member.
    -Given almost no power to do anything except simplest transactions. Everything else is just sent as a request to a contractor that almost never responds to member and looks for slightest things to reject your work items.
    -Expected to Up sell on every call even in "Service" roles.
    -Career advancement goes at a extreme glacier pace and outside experience is not considered for promotion possibilities.
    -While Edd-assist program is good, if you want to be able to get Management Level Security licenses (ie: Series 24, Series 9/10, ect) they will only allow you to take them if you are in a managers role. This is another great Catch-22 because they are require to have to get said Manager roles
    -Vacations and time off have to be planed a year in Advance.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet back to what made USAA great in the first place- World Class SERVICE not Sales. Hire enough people to handle volumes of mbr calls. Treat your Employees like professionals and give them the tools and ability to get the job done for the Member. Middle Management needs to be culled and replaced with Managers and Directors that actually know how to LEAD.

Challenging but worth it!

Auto Adjuster II (Current Employee) Phoenix, AZ

ProsI work at USAA because I care about the military members. I have been challenged from the time I entered as a claims adjuster and have worked up to the auto injury claims area. If it had not been for the great education benefits, I would not have my masters and 5 different insurance designations. My skills have been refined and I owe my experience and expertise to USAA. There is no other insurance company to work for (as an adjuster) that will take care of you and appreciate you as much as USAA.

ConsThe challenges are the variety of claims you receive daily. Whether it is helping a co-worker with a file or investigating your own claim, each day at USAA is different and rarely boring. I spend just as much time plugged into my phone as I did in other positions (including policy service), but the claim load and the lack of micro management is a blessing. Taking time off can be a challenge, but management does try their hardest to work with you.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake sure you keep your eyes open and keep the communication lines clear.

Great place to have a career

ProsGreat benefits and the building is equipped with many wonderful employee friendly features

ConsMany of the jobs are call center related, and those jobs have more strict set hours

Top notch company

Member Service Specialist (Current Employee) San Antonio, TX

ProsProvides humana health insurance to employees plus a health spending account to cover medical expenses not covered by insurance. You can go anywhere in the company. Christmas bonus plus 2 bonus days off are granted by the CEO during the hollidays. If the company peforms well which they always do you receive a bonus around Feb. Great values and the mission to help out the military members makes you feel great.

ConsVery demanding and it can be stressful at times but the benefits make up for it

Worked for USAA? Contribute to the Community!