USAA

USAA Reviews in Norfolk, VA

Updated September 3, 2014
Updated September 3, 2014
3.6

USAA President and CEO Joe Robles Jr.
Joe Robles Jr.

Pros
  • Great benefits and a wide variety of possibilities with such a large company (in 157 reviews)

• good work life balance if you have a good/flexible manager/ good pay (in 40 reviews)

Cons
  • Call center environment so you're at your desk taking phone calls the entire shift (in 102 reviews)

• There is NO work/life balance as they would like others to believe (in 24 reviews)

More Highlights

12 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Best company I ever worked for!

Former Employee - Customer Service-auto Ins in Norfolk, VA
    Former Employee - Customer Service-auto Ins in Norfolk, VA

I worked at USAA full-time (more than an year)

Pros

This is a company that appreciates their employees! Deluxe cafeteria onsite, daycare onsite, gym onsite. The pay was good and so were the medical benefits. Great smoker cessation program. I truly recommend USAA. Off on Sundays and half day saturdays. I love usaa

Cons

Customers calling complaining (but that's cust svc anyway). Upselling/ cross selling products (but thats part of the sales portion)Having to wk on saturday.

Open more locations bc I'd love to work for USAA again...they closed the VA location.

We know what it means to serve, but you would not know by the way we treat our own employees

Former Employee - Claims Adjuster in Norfolk, VA

I worked at USAA full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good pay, fair advancement, on site services.

Cons

Incompetent, racist management with no HR intervention.

Directors and VPs - Weed out incompetent management by monitoring their negative behavior.

Fantastic

Current Employee - Claims Adjuster in Norfolk, VA
    Current Employee - Claims Adjuster in Norfolk, VA

I have been working at USAA full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Top everything across the board

Cons

Phone-centric and very fast apced

Great if you like cliques and never get sick...

Former Employee - Casualty Claims Adjuster in Norfolk, VA
    Former Employee - Casualty Claims Adjuster in Norfolk, VA

I worked at USAA full-time

Pros

great benefits, nice year end bonus, competitive salary, some good teammates.

Cons

workload is unreasonable, client military rank often determining factor in final liability - regardless of what the investigation reveals. If you EVER have to use FMLA, you might as well put a target on your back, you will be micro managed and will be terminated for not maintaining the job objectives, which everyone is behind including managers.
    This is a call center. you are given new assignments daily, but also have to answer general inbound calls and if it is a new loss, you will have to take that claim on as well. Managers have their favorites and most of the time these individuals are the weakest link.
    Pride tributes from your teammates often serve to get you in trouble, so don't help your fellow adjuster.

Micro management is counter productive. Back up your adjuster's liability decision based on facts and ethical procedures. Hold yourself to the same standard you expect for your team. Please get a better first notice of loss process, the current one is ill effective. Leads to frustrated clients and adjusters.

I am not a salesperson.

Former Employee - MRS in Norfolk, VA
    Former Employee - MRS in Norfolk, VA

I worked at USAA full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Salary is great, in-house cafeteria is great, shifts are good, and the insurance benefits are phenomenal!

Cons

Being expected to sell products you are unfamiliar with. Not receptive to illness/injury - of which I had both and was ridiculed for it repeatedly.

Please advise your applicants that they are actually being groomed to pitch sales - and that their jobs depend on it. Also, stop telling your employees it's ok to be sick, when it clearly is not.

Nice work environment but too heavy workload expected for claims adjusters

I worked at USAA

Pros

Good pay
    Good benefits
    Nice co-workers
    Up-to-date programs
    Small Deli on site
    Good Location
    Adequate training
    Instant messenger amongst employees

Cons

Workload too heavy
    No chance of advancement without transferring
    Praise not given when earned but criticism given often
    No daycare...other USAA locations have daycare

It would be nice to get positive feedback as much as the negative. Also, someone needs to re-think the workload for a claims adjuster. Working the "dairy" is almost impossible while trying to answer the phone and take new FNOL.

I was dedicated to my job

Former Employee - Casualty Claims Examiner in Norfolk, VA
    Former Employee - Casualty Claims Examiner in Norfolk, VA

I worked at USAA

Pros

You get paid for what you are worth.

Cons

Lack of trust and honesty between employees and supervisor. Not all supervisors fit that category.

Listen to the employees they have a lot to offer and will work hard for you to ensure company growth.

Very demanding

I worked at USAA

Pros

Great benefits if you ever got time to use them

Cons

process to advance in career was very unfair. Reminded me of popularity contest in High School. Didn't matter how good you were,just who you were and who you knew.

Get rid of most of your managers.

Either your in or not.

I worked at USAA

Pros

Benefits, peers, bonus, accured vacation time as tenure accrues

Cons

- certain management employees are cold, heartless and truely can take a USAA poster child and turn them against USAA.
    - Actually had a Senior Manager, say infront of certain unit employees... "I would never hire him... never no matter how many times he applied."
         as many times as we were coached to not talk about other employees out in non-confidential areas... specific managers/retired-directors said one thing and would do the opposite.

( I was brand new on the job) I called the manager hotline and got the manager across from my aisle. She answered the phone and placed me on hold for more than 1 minute to hold a personal conversation with another employee. What was so bad is they were laughing and talking about their dogs!!! This manager not even 3 months later saw an employee placing a member on hold to show a another employee their wedding plans in a magazine. She saw them and the agent was placed on corrective action, potentially jeopardizing their bonus.

Like I said ... Do as I say, Don't do as I do.

Oh and one more thing. At least with BOB Davis he kept it real. If he wasn't happy he didn't act like it and put on a front. Gen. Robles, well he is great a warm fuzzies and then stabing you ever so quickly like a ninja in the back. "We will not close. Our financials are strong and we are here to lead the industry."

Well, less than 18 months later... where is Norfolk, VA? 85% closed down.

If you truely mean to empower and produce a real new era type of management style... RETIRE the ones that WON'T change. It really hurts your orginzation and really affects your retention rate.

Overall a great company

Former Employee - Member Relationship Specialist in Norfolk, VA
    Former Employee - Member Relationship Specialist in Norfolk, VA

I worked at USAA

Pros

1. Great benefits
    2. Great training and support for new hires. USAA offers a free preparatory course for the required state licensing exam. They also provide several weeks of job training to acclimate new employees to the company and their position.
    3. Holiday bonus at the end of the year. Big Bonus at the beginning of the year.
    4. Bragging rights...for the last couple of years USAA has been ranked #1 or #2 in customer service
    5. Members are friendly (mostly!)

Cons

1. Job becomes tedious
    2. Directives from management can seem silly at times (for instance, at one point we were told to say excellent in every call)
    3. Constant call monitoring is tiresome
    4. Job security is not all that promising. USAA just closed/relocated the member service department at this office. It seems like all the jobs for USAA will end up at the headquarters in San Antonio

There are too many bosses...some of the layers of management can be eliminated.