USAA
www.usaa.com San Antonio, TX 5000+ Employees

USAA Reviews in Norfolk, VA

Updated Mar 23, 2014

USAA President and CEO Joe Robles Jr.

Joe Robles Jr.

11 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Fantastic

Claims Adjuster (Current Employee)
    Norfolk, VA

ProsTop everything across the board

ConsPhone-centric and very fast apced

We know what it means to serve, but you would not know by the way we treat our own employees

Claims Adjuster (Former Employee)
    Norfolk, VA

ProsGood pay, fair advancement, on site services.

ConsIncompetent, racist management with no HR intervention.

Advice to Senior ManagementDirectors and VPs - Weed out incompetent management by monitoring their negative behavior.

Great if you like cliques and never get sick...

Casualty Claims Adjuster (Former Employee)
    Norfolk, VA

Prosgreat benefits, nice year end bonus, competitive salary, some good teammates.

Consworkload is unreasonable, client military rank often determining factor in final liability - regardless of what the investigation reveals. If you EVER have to use FMLA, you might as well put a target on your back, you will be micro managed and will be terminated for not maintaining the job objectives, which everyone is behind including managers.
    This is a call center. you are given new assignments daily, but also have to answer general inbound calls and if it is a new loss, you will have to take that claim on as well. Managers have their favorites and most of the time these individuals are the weakest link.
    Pride tributes from your teammates often serve to get you in trouble, so don't help your fellow adjuster.

Advice to Senior ManagementMicro management is counter productive. Back up your adjuster's liability decision based on facts and ethical procedures. Hold yourself to the same standard you expect for your team. Please get a better first notice of loss process, the current one is ill effective. Leads to frustrated clients and adjusters.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

I am not a salesperson.

MRS (Former Employee)
    Norfolk, VA

ProsSalary is great, in-house cafeteria is great, shifts are good, and the insurance benefits are phenomenal!

ConsBeing expected to sell products you are unfamiliar with. Not receptive to illness/injury - of which I had both and was ridiculed for it repeatedly.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease advise your applicants that they are actually being groomed to pitch sales - and that their jobs depend on it. Also, stop telling your employees it's ok to be sick, when it clearly is not.

Nice work environment but too heavy workload expected for claims adjusters

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGood pay
    Good Location
    Adequate training
    Instant messenger amongst employees

ConsWorkload too heavy
    No chance of advancement without transferring
    Praise not given when earned but criticism given often
    No daycare...other USAA locations have daycare

Advice to Senior ManagementIt would be nice to get positive feedback as much as the negative. Also, someone needs to re-think the workload for a claims adjuster. Working the "dairy" is almost impossible while trying to answer the phone and take new FNOL.

I was dedicated to my job

Casualty Claims Examiner (Former Employee)
    Norfolk, VA

ProsYou get paid for what you are worth.

ConsLack of trust and honesty between employees and supervisor. Not all supervisors fit that category.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to the employees they have a lot to offer and will work hard for you to ensure company growth.

Very demanding

Claims Adjuster (Former Employee)
    Norfolk, VA

ProsGreat benefits if you ever got time to use them

Consprocess to advance in career was very unfair. Reminded me of popularity contest in High School. Didn't matter how good you were,just who you were and who you knew.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of most of your managers.

Either your in or not.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Norfolk, VA

ProsBenefits, peers, bonus, accured vacation time as tenure accrues

Cons- certain management employees are cold, heartless and truely can take a USAA poster child and turn them against USAA.
    - Actually had a Senior Manager, say infront of certain unit employees... "I would never hire him... never no matter how many times he applied."
         as many times as we were coached to not talk about other employees out in non-confidential areas... specific managers/retired-directors said one thing and would do the opposite.

( I was brand new on the job) I called the manager hotline and got the manager across from my aisle. She answered the phone and placed me on hold for more than 1 minute to hold a personal conversation with another employee. What was so bad is they were laughing and talking about their dogs!!! This manager not even 3 months later saw an employee placing a member on hold to show a another employee their wedding plans in a magazine. She saw them and the agent was placed on corrective action, potentially jeopardizing their bonus.

Like I said ... Do as I say, Don't do as I do.

Oh and one more thing. At least with BOB Davis he kept it real. If he wasn't happy he didn't act like it and put on a front. Gen. Robles, well he is great a warm fuzzies and then stabing you ever so quickly like a ninja in the back. "We will not close. Our financials are strong and we are here to lead the industry."

Well, less than 18 months later... where is Norfolk, VA? 85% closed down.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you truely mean to empower and produce a real new era type of management style... RETIRE the ones that WON'T change. It really hurts your orginzation and really affects your retention rate.

Overall a great company

Member Relationship Specialist (Former Employee)

Pros1. Great benefits
    2. Great training and support for new hires. USAA offers a free preparatory course for the required state licensing exam. They also provide several weeks of job training to acclimate new employees to the company and their position.
    3. Holiday bonus at the end of the year. Big Bonus at the beginning of the year.
    4. Bragging rights...for the last couple of years USAA has been ranked #1 or #2 in customer service
    5. Members are friendly (mostly!)

Cons1. Job becomes tedious
    2. Directives from management can seem silly at times (for instance, at one point we were told to say excellent in every call)
    3. Constant call monitoring is tiresome
    4. Job security is not all that promising. USAA just closed/relocated the member service department at this office. It seems like all the jobs for USAA will end up at the headquarters in San Antonio

Advice to Senior ManagementThere are too many bosses...some of the layers of management can be eliminated.

USAA- Two year employee's opinions

Norfolk, VA

ProsGreat benefits, good in-house options-cafeteria, child care, gym. Good bonus system. Very visible company here, and the company name (sometimes) impresses people.

ConsObvious hierarchy/class system. Many of the employees think non-insurance people are contractors, not actual USAA employees with the same benefits they have. Very few paid holidays. Obvious when the company is going through massive hiring/firing periods.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you state that there is an open-door policy, mean it. Walk the walk and talk the talk.

Worked for USAA? Contribute to the Community!

USAA Videos

USAA – Why Work for Us?

USAA's Mission The mission of the association is to facilitate the financial security of its members, associates, and their families through provision of a full range of highly competitive financial products and… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at USAA reviews and ratings in Norfolk, VA — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for USAA CEO Joe Robles Jr. All 11 reviews posted anonymously by USAA employees.