USAA
www.usaa.com San Antonio, TX 5000+ Employees

USAA Reviews in Phoenix, AZ

Updated Mar 30, 2014

USAA President and CEO Joe Robles Jr.

Joe Robles Jr.

80 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

A Great company that cares about you- BEST Contact Center in PHOENIX!

Bank Operations Specialist (Current Employee)
Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at USAA full-time for less than a year

ProsExcellent training, nice coaching staff, 18.7 % bonus, great MEMBERS, awesome CO-WORKERS, contact center environment, great benefits, shift differential, AUTHENTIC WORK CULTURE centered on Honesty, Loyalty, Integrity and Service!

ConsNothing. Keep a positive attitude, do your best and the doors of opportunity awaits!

Advice to Senior ManagementThanks for all that you do to create a fun & supportive environment!

From Zero to burnout in 60 seconds

Financial Foundations Specialist (Former Employee)

I worked at USAA full-time for more than 5 years

ProsDecent wages; professional, yet relaxed environment. On-site cafés and shop. Covered parking. Gym. Flexible working hours once you have put in time.

ConsCompany has bitten off more than they can chew. They have taken on a larger segment of the marketplace thru increased advertising and are now extremely understaffed to handle all the continuous, back-to-back calls. They say they are going to continue hiring, but with high turnover from burnt out employees, they will just keep spinning their wheels.

Advice to Senior ManagementNext time use some foresight before jumping head first into the desire to get more customers. What you have now has increased customer dissatisfaction and has driven away good workers.

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

The best benefits and the best customers in the world

Insurance Agent (Current Employee)

I have been working at USAA full-time for more than 3 years

ProsEducation reimbursement, excellent health benefits, 8% 401k match, Starbucks and a gym in the building, annual bonus at holidays and for overall company performance.

ConsToo few opportunities for advancement regardless of prior experience, education or performance, culture of every man for themselves, sales culture is not for everyone, employees are not empowered, little flexibility for time off and management is not accessible, promotions lead to a loss of seniority in the new position which affects shift bidding and time-off bidding

Advice to Senior ManagementCreate opportunities for employees to develop skills and also create opportunities for advancement, walk the talk when it comes to "assume positive intent" and empower employes to make the right decision for members rather than having to have a manager approve something and then not have a manager available to help the member, provide opportunities for team members to interact off the phones and for some down time to look forward to, revise the time off approval process so that there is flexibility for people to get time off for appointments and manage their work life balance rather than find a way around policy by abusing FMLA time off, take a hard look at the culture you have created: employees don't talk to each other or make eye contact if they are in different floors, teams or departments, they don't get to have much fun and they don't get much recognition for their work.

We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good Place if you enjoy being on the phone

Financial Advisor (Current Employee)

I have been working at USAA full-time for more than 3 years

ProsBonus, decent pay, great building and amenities

ConsConstant grind, pushing products, offering financial advice to anyone who calls- dealing with broke people is not what most advisers get into the business to do

Advice to Senior ManagementProductivity would increase if folks had a minimum amount to speak with advisors

Long and Tiring

P & C Representative (Former Employee)
Phoenix, AZ

I worked at USAA full-time for less than a year

ProsThey take care of their employees financially.
Good Benefits.
They have a great mission but say they don't care about making money which just isn't true.

ConsThe job isn't that great, the call center is very tiring and there isn't much help. The left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet your stuff together.

Insuurance specialist

Insurance Specialist (Current Employee)

I have been working at USAA full-time for more than 10 years

ProsSincere mission statement, focused on customer satisfaction. Great benefit package, health care is awesome, annual bonuses, company matched 401k, onsite amenities: gym, cafeteria, health center, onsite daycare, etc. Financial future is very promising for the company. Overall great company.

ConsThough a great company, the job is very stressful, the goals change every year. There isvfavortism. Schedule is flexible based on business need only, very busy phone volumn, high turnover, PTO accruel is average but you may not get to use. High stress and very salesy, not properly staffed. This is a calll center, too busy to give the great sevice that customers deserve. Work is repetitive and evluations are subjective.

Great Overall Company

Investment Representative (Former Employee)

I worked at USAA full-time for more than 5 years

ProsWork with Military personnel Decent Pay, Decent Bonuses, Opportunities to advance

Consvery fast pace environment. micro managed at times.

Advice to Senior Managementbreak up reps routine. Everyday on the phone, call after call. This can become stressfull and unproductive. Be creative and allow reps off the phone to cross train in other depts. Work on special projects. They'll come back more refreshed. I'm not talking just once, either. I'm talking be consistent with it.

Best place ever to work!

Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at USAA full-time for more than 5 years

ProsBenefits, company values, workplace, employees

ConsDifficult to advance through the ranks

Good pay and benefits

Financial Advisor III (Current Employee)

I have been working at USAA full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGood pay and benefits. Work life balance okay

ConsCall center environment can you burn you out quickly.

Advice to Senior ManagementDont intentially listen to calls you know the person will fail

Great for the member not so much for the employee

MSR2 (Former Employee)

I worked at USAA full-time for more than 3 years

ProsYou get to work with great people both the employees and the members. Job is very stable and almost impossible to get fired from. Lots of overtime opportunities and shift swapping. Somewhat flexible schedules.

ConsYou have to take a lot of very repetitive phone calls. The phones are always busy which leads to a lot of cancelled team meetings and coaching sessions. They expect you to sell but don't offer commission. The pay isn't anything to write home about. There is only very limited growth opportunity as most managers have worked there for decades and there is very little turnover.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of RST and don't expect reps to be so scripted because the best phone calls are the ones that aren't scripted. Also look to find ways to motivate reps to sell because currently the only motivation to excel in sales is to avoid being chewed out by your boss.

Worked for USAA? Contribute to the Community!

USAA Videos

USAA – Why Work for Us?

USAA's Mission The mission of the association is to facilitate the financial security of its members, associates, and their families through provision of a full range of highly competitive financial products and… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at USAA reviews and ratings in Phoenix, AZ — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for USAA CEO Joe Robles Jr. All 80 reviews posted anonymously by USAA employees.