USAA Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
3.5
Stuart Parker

Pros
  • GREAT benefits health /401k match 8%/ tuition reimbursement / bonus for holidays and end of the year performance (in 157 reviews)

• Understanding of work-life balance (in 40 reviews)

Cons
  • There are employees that spend their ENTIRE career in the same call center job (in 102 reviews)

• There is NO work/life balance as they would like others to believe (in 24 reviews)

1. Great company

Current Employee - Financial Foundations Insurance Specialist in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Financial Foundations Insurance Specialist in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at USAA full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great culture, work life balance, plenty of opportunity

Cons

Easy to get lost because of the size

2. Claims Adjuster

Current Employee - Claims Adjuster in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Claims Adjuster in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at USAA full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

They care about their employees, they will work with you on your scheduling, huge improvements have been made in that area to accommodate more people. The facilities are top notch and the pay is really good, especially if you are a high performer.

Cons

There are some jobs opportunities that are just either out of reach or not available unless you are willing to relocate. If you have a family, your ability to move up in the company can be hindered. They will pay for you to continue your education, but that can be a challenge with a family. Basically, the more flexible you are, the more opportunities you will have at the company.

Great employer and benefits

Former Employee - Senior Account Advisor Executive Resolutions in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Senior Account Advisor Executive Resolutions in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at USAA full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Company has great values and I loved working with the military community. Much better than civilians and it really gave me a sense of purpose. Plus the benefits are amazing and the building has great amenities. They also have a lot of employee focused events that help to mix up the routine.

Cons

It can be a hard job if you're not used to a call center. There are metrics that you need to meet and a call flow when helping members.

Advice to Management

Continue to coach based on peer averages rather than set numbers. Honestly do what is right for the members, the company, and the employees equally. Do more on a lower management level to ensure managers are being fair and creating a workplace that employees want to come into and excel.

An Insurance Company That Cares for People

Former Employee - Claims Adjuster in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Claims Adjuster in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at USAA part-time (More than a year)

Pros

I began as an Intern for USAA and was offered a part-time position until I completed school in which a full-time offer would be extended. During my time at USAA, I was astonished with the extent they go to in order to accommodate their employees needs. They have multiple systems to hear employee concerns and address them with company wide improvements.
    They truly believe that if their employees are treated well that it will translate to a high standard of member service. Everything they do is driven to serve their members (customers) which are primarily military veterans and their families. I saw this in the day to day operations. When a situation arose about what action should be taken, the answer was typically "what is best for the member?"
    USAA continues to improve flexible working schedules which includes expanding their 'work from home' options. They also have a large focus on hiring veterans and their spouses and the culture of the company reflects that initiative. I would not only recommend this company as an employer, but also as a member who uses their products. Working for the company has only made me a more loyal client.

Cons

The call center environment is rough. While they continue to hire and improve, the call flow is often intense (especially in the claims department). The 'team environment' style of handling claims sometimes creates a disconnect between the file handler and the members due to the pure volume of calls. This high volume of calls has an impact on the quality of work that is possible and also contributes to employee turnover. The pay is not as competitive as it could be compared to the industry.

Advice to Management

The 1st level and 2nd level of management are seen on a regular basis and are easily accessible, which is great. Continue process improvement that reduces the day to day work flow for the average employee.

6. Manager

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Surprise, AZ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Surprise, AZ

I have been working at USAA full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

benefits, salary, PTO, on campus facilities

Cons

team size and administrative duties

Advice to Management

decrease team sizes to ease manager workload

Auto Insurance Adjuster 3

Current Employee - Auto Claims Adjuster III in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at USAA full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Bonuses, pretty campus, military centric, location, Starbucks, nurses office on campus with ability to do physical therapy, covered parking, security, natural drought tolerant landscaping for the most part, on site gun storage facility for us Wild Wild West people,

Cons

To many chiefs in mid-level Management, lower level management is abt. Micro managing when they happen to be at work or their desk, they are not there to assist the employees, but rather turn you away to find answers in a unfriendly user internet database that is not Google like at all, only certain phrases return possible related responses, all while not taking another inbound, back to back call, they expect you to handle your prior claims and take back to back inbound calls no real time to do a through investigation on any claims that may need extra attention.They expect you to refer a customer who just called into buy another product on top of just having a an accident, very inappropriate expectations. They are not customer centric as they have you believe. If a member has a complaint or request a manager 9-10 they end up In voice mail. They are always saying "Toe The Line" we are hiring new people, but they will do what they can to get rid of you once you've been there a while so they can avoid any high salary's or paying for retirement, medical for you. HR, will support the management not the employee on complaints. The metrics system is flawed I so many ways..the older employees for the most part know how to get around and cheat the system and skew the numbers. It's not about how well you are doing but about what you didn't do. To many double standards. People have gone out on FMLA because of the stress of the job. It's never good when you go to the doctor and the doctor says "Oh you work at USAA! Are you here because you're stressed? Would you like a prescription for Xanax?"True story on more than 2 occasions. Cafeteria is very repetitive in its offerings expensive and over sized portions.

Advice to Management

Be approachable, be friendly, if we are to be on the phone for back to back calls be available for quick responses to help the phone reps. Be willing to help with an answer not telling us to look for answers in a non-user friendly database that puts us out of adherence for phone measurement. Understand that holding the adjuster III to phone matrix adherence is not doing anyone any favors especially our members or the bottom profit line for recovery on claims, you give us the tools but not the time to use them.

8. Awesome place to work

Current Contractor - Loan Closer in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Contractor - Loan Closer in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at USAA as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

USAA provides a great facility with everything that an employees need from bare essentials to areas to unwind or just simply get away from your desk. Everyone I encounter seem to love their job regardless of the position that they are in and management seems to actually take an interest in how you are developing in the company.

Cons

Cant really think of many negative things to say....the place is huge and you can easily get lost?

Advice to Management

Continue to show your employees that they are a valuable asset

If you like sales, work here

Former Employee - Financial Foundations Associate in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Financial Foundations Associate in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at USAA full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

401K
    good pay for a call center job
    nice facility
    yearly bonus

Cons

No off the phone jobs at all. Referrals to more sales is the priority. Lots of angry billing calls from rate increases. Advancement is unbelievably hard. Over 200 employees competing for one promotable position at times. Seniority, not experience matters.

Advice to Management

Need better research tool for employees and better billing system. current knowledge database tool is a joke. Not "google" like at all. Not even seasoned employees understand it.

Excellent company, benefits, and culture

Current Employee - Auto Claims Adjuster III in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at USAA

Pros

USAA has been listed in the Fortune 100 best companies to work for, has an excellent employee bonus each year, benefits, and culture.

Cons

Back to back inbound calls

First 3 years ok then last 2 years terrible due to micromanaging and requiring more pushy sales of other departments.

Former Employee - Member Relationship Specialist II in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Member Relationship Specialist II in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at USAA full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good benefits, bonus, they try to make the whole call center environment comfortable and pleasant, strong core values.

Cons

Micromanaging too much, not given enough time to do follow up work. They rate performance more on referrals for other products than actual job performance. A persons knowledge and skills should be looked at versus how many other products they can offer. Change managers a lot.

Advice to Management

Ease up on micromanaging, being on the phone non stop for 8 hours a day is exhausting so not every call may have a referral. Look at an employees knowledge and skills for promotion versus sales. I knew so many employees who could "refer" tons of other products but did not have the knowledge or understanding of insurance to do their basic job.

Showing 128 of 1,058 reviews