USAA Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
3.6
Stuart Parker

Pros
  • GREAT benefits health /401k match 8%/ tuition reimbursement / bonus for holidays and end of the year performance (in 157 reviews)

• Understanding of work-life balance (in 40 reviews)

Cons
  • There are employees that spend their ENTIRE career in the same call center job (in 102 reviews)

• There is NO work/life balance as they would like others to believe (in 24 reviews)

1,065 Employee Reviews

1. Featured Review

Great place to work. They really care about employees and lots of opportunities to grow.

Current Employee - Risk Analyst in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Risk Analyst in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at USAA full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Life work balance, great benefit package and nice colleagues. The goal of the company is providing the best service to its members. So, they treat employees the best to encourage them to do the same for members.

Cons

Slow IT support, limited interactions with industry. Banking business is not as mature as insurance.

2. USAA is a great place to work!

Current Employee - Software/Systems Engineer I in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Software/Systems Engineer I in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at USAA

Pros

They offer great benefits and most have an overall good feel about working there. Their campus is amazing in San Antonio and they provide so many facilities for their employees to use. They are offering great bonus and flex hours to their employees.

Cons

It is a very large company, thus it can feel at times like you are lost in the crowd. Sometimes a simple change can take a long time to go into effect due to the levels of management it must pass through. They offer a competing salary, but it could be a bit higher in all reality.

Advice to Management

I would tell senior management to continue as they are now that they are under Joe Robles!

USAA - noble mission with fantastic senior leadership.

Current Employee - Executive Director
    Current Employee - Executive Director

I have been working at USAA

Pros

Fantastic mission - the customers (members) we support are in the Armed Services. Senior leadership is strong and they share strategic information freely. They want all employees to be part of the solution. Team approach and employees are exceptionally nice. 401K package is very lucrative. Compensation is very competitive. Annual Christmas bonus = 2 weeks pay, if organization is doing well financially. They have never missed one distribution. 10% bonus for all employees if company objectives are met. Can exceed if company exceeds goal.

Cons

Large organization - sometimes it takes too long to effect change.

Advice to Management

Current CEO is fantastic and the sharing of information has been commendable.

A great place to work overall!!!

Current Employee - Software/Systems Engineer III in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Software/Systems Engineer III in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at USAA

Pros

USAA is a great place to work! I/T is awesome to work in! Pros: -Headquarters has 3 gyms, 6 cafes, company stores, on site Rx, and more! -You can bring your spouse/family to the campus to use facilities like fields, etc -MOST managers are open to you. My manager has been great! -You get challenging work. Just ask! -Great training program! -Reimbursement for tuition (Masters, etc) -8% on 401k and other World Class benefits that can't be beat. -Generous paid time off for new hires. -Working for a company that is doing GREAT even in times of financial turbulence! -Knowing you are making a difference every day of the week!

Cons

Like every big corporation, USAA has it's downsides. NO PLACE CAN BE PERFECT! USAA is awesome but could improve! Here are some cons: -Some team members whine a lot. I guess that's just their personality. -Complex decision making structure often requiring many individuals from Management. -You can feel lost at times. Overall, USAA has been a great place to work. I think it is team dependent on cons. Some teams have incompetent managers, micro managers, or other people. In Enterprise Business Operations Consolidated, where Information Technology resides, it is very different compared to the other companies/service agencies. If you are an MSR (Member Service Rep) you are expected to be member focused with a concentration in sales/product sales. Those individuals have been ranting about their teams. Take the cons on this site as general advice. The job is what YOU make of it!!!

Advice to Management

Great job to Management! I think USAA has done great for 86 years and hope USAA continues for at least 86 more. Just have competent Middle and Senior Managers that listen to employees and I think USAA can be THE employer of choice WORLDWIDE! Good job Joe! You are definitely making USAA a fun place to work where our members matter!!!

6. The Best Place in SA to Work

Current Employee - Relationship Manager in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Relationship Manager in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at USAA

Pros

Compensation, benefits and opportunity for advancements. More importantly honesty and integrity. They give their employees a fair opportunity to balance work and home life. Overall they do a great job of implementing the "Three legged Stool" of equally focusing on the Member, Employees and Company. This is definitely the best company to work for.

Cons

Cost of goods thru Sodexo. Management tends to have their favorites and it seems that they focus more on promoting those individuals. Sometimes there appears to be a greater focus on the bottom line (products sold) versus whether or not you did was best for your member.

Advice to Management

None

7. USAA is back.

Current Employee - Business Operations Advisor in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Business Operations Advisor in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at USAA

Pros

fair work environment, structure, regular performance feedback and reward, diverse knowledge and career opportunities, excellent family/work balance.

Cons

structure, call center environment in some areas, time to market is sometimes lagging

Advice to Management

listen to the people in the weeds - they know the issues and honest feedback

8. The job of a lifetime!

Current Employee - Casualty Claims Adjuster
    Current Employee - Casualty Claims Adjuster

I have been working at USAA

Pros

The entire package - environment, people, management and most of all our members!!!

Cons

Absolutely no downside!! Everyone works together to ensure the members needs are met!!

Advice to Management

The Senior Management is very involved in ensuring that information is disseminated to all levels of employees and this is one of the most important things they could do for the employees.

Great job, Great Benefits

Current Employee - Associate Claims Adjuster in Sacramento, CA
    Current Employee - Associate Claims Adjuster in Sacramento, CA

I have been working at USAA

Pros

Good room for advancement and promotion

Cons

Constant monitoring, numbers driven, no time to investigate files

Advice to Management

Better Communication

10. Incredible Organization

I have been working at USAA

Pros

* Fantastic benefits * Great growth opportunities * Meaningful mission and amazing CEO

Cons

* Long hours * High burn out rate * Behind the technology curve

Advice to Management

* Keep funding high growth areas like Wealth Management, New Member Solutions, and Member Advice and Solutions to bring technology into the 21st Century.

Great company. Treat employees very well. Retirement plan and benefits are the best in the country.

I have been working at USAA

Pros

Benefits, Healthcare, Pension, Time off, 401k match, Fitness Centers, Beautiful Campus, intramural sports, all employees get a nice Christmas and end of year bonus. Best leadership and development training I have ever seen. USAA is really good at investing in their employees development. Core Values of Honesty, Integrity, Service, and Loyalty is what we live by. Mission of the organization is the foundation at USAA. We know what it means to serve and our Members are the primary focus not profit.

Cons

Typical corporate politics exist. Networking is the way to advance.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work! Joe Robles is a great down to earth leader that connects with all employees. Quarterly employee meetings and company progress is openly shared with all.

Showing 1,065 of 1,110 reviews