USAA Reviews

Updated April 19, 2015
975 reviews filtered by
3.7
USAA President and CEO Joe Robles Jr.
Joe Robles Jr.

Pros
  • Great benefits and a wide variety of possibilities with such a large company (in 157 reviews)

• good work life balance if you have a good/flexible manager/ good pay (in 40 reviews)

Cons
  • Call center environment so you're at your desk taking phone calls the entire shift (in 102 reviews)

• There is NO work/life balance as they would like others to believe (in 24 reviews)

1. Financial Foundation Sr Specialist

I have been working at USAA full-time

Pros

At this point, it's just a job that provides income.

Cons

Once your in insurane, you're stuck. Even if you want to try something new like claims. The interviewers let you know that they hiring externals only. Why even let internals apply then?
    Co-workers take credit for a project you did, lots of backstabbing and kissing butt to move up.

Sales, sales, sales. Didn't sign up for a sales job but that's what it turned into. Pushing renters insurance on an E1 that can't afford it. $15 a month buys a lot of ramen, we've all been there living paycheck to paycheck but you required to "provide solutions" aka issue products/sale.

Advice to Management

Look at every aspect of the person applying for the job. Sure people do great in an interview, some people are natural born at talking thems elves up. There are long-term employees @ USAA that deserve that next position more than the "smooth talker"

Financial Foundations Associate

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at USAA full-time

Pros

Good benefits Good pay

Cons

Training needs work, Communication is not there, schedule adherence is crazy, no time for a bathroom break, performance grading needs to be more defined

Advice to Management

Get rid of HireRight, they obviously don't do quality work and a law suit is coming.

College hire - extremely bad experience working in the IT department

Former Employee - Software Developer & Integrator I in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Software Developer & Integrator I in San Antonio, TX

I worked at USAA full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Good benefits, 401k, good for *retirement*, job stability

Cons

Very very outdated technology being used, heavy red tapes, inexperienced architects stuck in the 80's, knowledge in USAA is not useful anywhere else, also - extreme boredom. Also be warned - 70% of the workforce in IT is actually outsource to India.

Advice to Management

Move to newer technology, listen to your employee's ideas, not everything is a security threat

Horrible place to work

Current Employee - Member Relationship Specialist II in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Member Relationship Specialist II in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at USAA full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Cafeteria (different food stations) and a "fitness center" but after working 10 hour days all you wanted to do was get out of there.

Cons

They Micro-manage employees (will write you up for taking bathroom breaks) managers act like the place is a branch of the military. My manager once told me "if you're on time, you're late" which I guess is a military term and way off base. I get paid to get there at a certain time, I'm not showing up earlier because you're a psycho. We are in the civilian world! Worst part is they say how much military members are respected and valued but want employees to cross-sell them products they don't even need! I felt extreme pressure to be unethical and even lie to make sure my manager wasn't harassing me about sales.

Advice to Management

Lay off the employees! Micro managing and monitoring our every move made everyone miserable and the turn over is insane. Our training class started with 11 new hires by the end of the first year only 3 remained!

Don't make the same mistake I did.

Former Employee - Auto Claims Adjuster in Chesapeake, VA
    Former Employee - Auto Claims Adjuster in Chesapeake, VA

I worked at USAA full-time (more than a year)

Pros

new technology
    free food
    comfortable workplace
    nap rooms

Cons

The health insurance is a pain, I've never dealt with a more frustrating situation when it comes to meeting deductibles. There is absolutely no training, so if you don't know anything about insurance you will not succeed. In order to get promoted you have to get "referrals" which is the equivalent of going to your favorite retail store and upon check out they ask you if you want to save 10% and sign up for a credit card. There's nothing like calling from the scene of an accident and trying to sell them life insurance.

Advice to Management

Appreciate good employees and understand that some employees view their position as a career and not just a job. Practice what you preach! Do the right thing because it's the right thing to do.

7. Ok culture but you're under paid compared to competition

Current Employee - Wealth Manager
    Current Employee - Wealth Manager

I have been working at USAA full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great culture and smart people to work next to. Good company match if you stay for 2 years. good medical benefits as well

Cons

low pay, no commissions, and bonuses not paid out until the following February. Terrible technology And constant changes for members. Products aren't great and members would be wise to go to a cheaper place

Advice to Management

pay wealth managers better or lower fees for members on managed money. The product is garbage compared to competition. Move wm's to better opportunity

Great by the members. Less than acceptable for the frontline employees.

Former Employee - Financial Foundations Specialist in Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Financial Foundations Specialist in Tampa, FL

I worked at USAA

Pros

A million dollar cafeteria, a yearly bonus that is heavily taxed, countless resources that improve interpersonal skills that will be of little to no use internally, a computer system that has outdated software with a speed dial to technical support that will clean your cookies.

Cons

Less than national average salary. Low merit increase percentages. Minimal internal promotion. Highly political where feedback from the frontline has little to no impact in changing the moral or a action plan to improve frontline employee experience.

Advice to Management

The advice is pointless just as pride group is. usaa is set in there ways respectfully what they do works for the members but for the majority of employees.

Very military by design

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in San Antonio, TX

I worked at USAA

Pros

Great people/workaholics, thinktank, gymforemployeesifyoupay, workshuttleforemployeesifyoupay, largecampus, foodoncampus(Sodexo)

Cons

Severe separation between rank/title, Contractors treated lesser, badfoodoncampus, powerabusedbysuperiorsoften, allaboutbottomline, lowpayment of salaryblamedonSanAntoniosmallmarket, NEWCEOstarts March 2015, 2yearemployeegiven2weeksnoticefor "realignment"

Advice to Management

Realize you're in charge of people's livelihoods

Do not work for Usaa

I worked at USAA

Pros

None do not work here

Cons

Run as fast as you can. They do not care about you, you are a number that can create revenue once you create more problems than you are worth they get rid of you. They allow bullying, they use intimidation to get results.

Financial Solutions Advisor "Miss-Represented"

Former Employee - Financial Solutions Advisor III in Addison, TX
    Former Employee - Financial Solutions Advisor III in Addison, TX

I worked at USAA full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Group 1 life & health license

Cons

Not adviser: You are the flood gates getting, credit call, auto insurance, loan decline, tax advice calls and leads from those same departments. The reason for this is because of their "Sales, to service" approach. They want you to take all the service calls, even those were you don't have the ability in order to " open up" every call to sell life insurance. You are also forced to act unethically by taking calls you are not trained, nor licensed to take; for example: You are transferred Umbrella Policy calls from that very department for "Advice"; however, one is required to acquire their Property & Casualty license to do so. You serve as the end gate for every other department individual that cant answer a question, even though it has nothing to do with our role. We are not allowed to push back, we have to receive every transfer no matter how unethical it was because we have to open the call and talk about life insurance. Investments are done by a tool that only recommends the funds with lowest expense ratios. There is churning left and right. Investment service groups, 1 in 4 calls have to be a lead to you. They seed doubt in to the member stating they may be in wrong investments in order to get leads, even though, an adviser has already provided and implemented a recommendations not 60 days prior. When this occurs members naturally want to review and are not happy unless their investments are changed causing churning and the member to not take advantage of market growth. Deal with age groups of members under 30's with annuities on the majority due to the high goals...people will choose to keep their jobs.

Actual Jobs you do:
    Debt/Credit counselor
    Switchboard operator
    escalation group
    Bank specialist
    Credit card specialist
    Auto Insurance Specialist
    Real Estate agent : advice on buying and selling homes??? not licensed though.
    Hopefully once per day an actual adviser
    "go to" cold transfer group by every single department so they can get leads that are not quality checked or validated

Curtain placed by all management
    Never takes feedback nor acknowledge issues
    Never have your back
    Never honest with nor tell you whats going on.
    Dissent, the vast majority of the advisers are actively looking to leave due to serious lack of morale.
    They stated they will not expand Investment arm because Insurance and Bank branch of company is breadwinner; therefore, no opportunities in Addison.

**Very oppressive atmosphere where advisers are taken advantage of***

USAA contracts too many of their roles; therefore, many external contractors that could care less all dumping calls to you, regardless of where member actually wanted to go. In addition you are taking all of the other calls from other groups directly, and to add insult to injury, all of those groups also have high lead numbers.

Advice to Management

Why they won't do anything, its all like a cover-up.