USAA

www.usaa.com

USAA Reviews

Updated Jul 23, 2014

USAA President and CEO Joe Robles Jr.

Joe Robles Jr.

Pros
  • Great benefits and a wide variety of possibilities with such a large company(in 138 reviews)

• Work life balance is important to the company(in 34 reviews)

Cons
  • Call center environment so you're at your desk taking phone calls the entire shift(in 90 reviews)

• There is NO work/life balance as they would like others to believe(in 22 reviews)

I Remain Neutral

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsExcellent benefits and compensation. They treat their employees well overall and encouraging support system for the most part.

ConsTurning into a call center and growing too fast with not enough employees which is causing them to become similar to their competitors.

Company Culture is changing... and not in a good way.

Claims Adjuster (Current Employee)

ProsPay, including Christmas and annual bonuses are decent.

ConsTied to phones and every minute of the day is monitored with little flexibility. If you try to complete a task that takes longer than 5 min, managers IM you to get back on the phone. They are constantly understaffed and expect you to do more with less. Members no longer have the loyalty and love of the company and are more likely to be belligerent or demand coverage for losses for which there is none. Leadership constantly says they recognize the struggle and thank you but don't do enough to actually fix the issues. They say they have an open door policy but actually speaking up is considered "complaining" and is frowned upon no matter how constructive or polite you phrase your concerns. Finally, to get ahead, many people break company rules and fraternize with managers outside of work and cheat the phone states to get ahead, and it usually works putting honest employees at a disadvantage.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire ahead of the attrition curve. People leave because of stress and the turn around time from posting an opening to having a trained person in the desk is so long that jobs are not forecast to cover the constant loss of people and the increasing customer base.

Summer job to screen for full time workers.

MSR IV (Former Employee) San Antonio, TX

ProsGreat training program and facilities. I came in with NO call center experience and they churned out a phone answering person. They worked with me when I struggled. They promote from within.

ConsIf you don't cover the 3 mandatory questions at the start of a call as required by the big man, then you are in trouble. Since it is a call center, you are micro managed. You can get on your supervisor`s bad list in a hurry. The pay is horrible, but then again it is in San Antonio.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake a step back and really evaluate the talent and not push someone out because you can.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

USAA is a company that has managed to remain financially stable throughout all obstacles within the economy.

Financial Foundations Specialist (Former Employee) Tampa, FL

ProsThe office culture is strict and demanding. Onsite cafeteria, Java, daycare and gym. Personal growth depends on you. Most managers will help you succeed if you are willing to go the extra mile. The benefits are one of the best corporate has to offer

ConsThe office culture is strict and demanding. Training is practical but not realistic. Leadership can be challenging depending on the manager's skills and knowledge.

Great bank, mixed feelings about them as an employer

Software/Systems Engineer I (Former Employee) San Antonio, TX

ProsGreat benefits and a wide variety of possibilities with such a large company.
    One-on-one meetings with management is a good practice

ConsEntrenched bureaucracy; highly resistance to change, improvements or efficiency.
    The experience varies greatly depending on what department or manager you are under. Some are highly supportive of their employees, others not so much.
    There is a long list of ways you can get fired for simple mistakes

Advice to Senior ManagementManagers that are incredibly overworked with special duties themselves have a harder time managing employees.
    Managers typically have no idea what their employees have done when they write performance reviews.
    Strive for better management training and oversight and soliciting feedback from employees to ensure a better , more consistent experience; how a manager treats their employees makes the largest difference in job satisfaction.

Ups and downs, but overall well rounded

ProsMember focused, beneficial for FTE stats, large campus for multiple uses, up to date technology - for the most part

ConsContractors cannot have facility benefits (daycare, gym, company participations), MSRs are not trained well in their processes

Great opportunities for hard working individuals!

Member Relationship Specialist (Former Employee) San Antonio, TX

ProsGreat culture, people, perks, salary. You will stay very busy at all times!

ConsUSAA is NOT a one-size-fits-all organization! It takes the right person to work at USAA. I spent 13 years there in various positions and saw many others who floundered and left. Not for those who are looking for an easy job, prime schedule, etc.

Great place to be an employee, not management

ProsHigh pay, everyone gets at least 20% in bonuses each year (holiday + annual), campus amenities, fulfilling mission, great benefits and 401k match

ConsBureaucracy above and beyond the norm for a large company. As an individual contributor it was all about the men and women who serve. In management, it's all about helping your executive out maneuver his/her rivals. With very limited potential new clients (must be military or veterans) slow growth will be a headwind for career growth.

Advice to Senior ManagementExpand membership. Give more than lip service
    To your call to be "collaborative"

USAA is a great place to start in the financial advising industry, but not the best long-term option.

Financial Advisor III (Former Employee) Phoenix, AZ

ProsHelping veterans, training, personal growth, educational benefits, company values, nice facilities, deferred compensation bonus

Conspromotions, unrealistic goals with little reward, coaching, not adhering to company values

Advice to Senior ManagementFinancial Advisors and financial counselors have different roles, call distribution should be handled accordingly and goals for reps should be allocated appropriately. Most people do need life insurance, but not everyone can afford it right away.

Fired while out on leave for complicated pregnancy DAY BEFORE MY DELIVERY!!

Member Relationship Specialist II (Current Employee) Tampa, FL

ProsGood Benefits,Great Cafe on site,Fitness Center,and safe environment.

ConsThis place is micromanagement to the extreme. It was AWFUL. Don't get off the phone to go to the bathroom unless it's scheduled! Your calls are monitored,your breaks are monitored,you have to sit and review calls periodically with your manager and if you were lucky to have the crazy woman who was my manager....Oh boy good luck. This company was not a good company to work for. How about this manager calls me up the DAY BEFORE I have my baby and FIRES me? ON THE SPOT I lose my benefits and everything and she KNEW I was delivering the next day. If you want a company that throws you out like that then go ahead.

Advice to Senior ManagementWant to stop high employee turnover? STOP MICROMANAGING!!

Worked for USAA? Contribute to the Community!