USAA
www.usaa.com San Antonio, TX 5000+ Employees

USAA Reviews

Updated Jul 8, 2014

USAA President and CEO Joe Robles Jr.

Joe Robles Jr.

Pros:
  • "Great benefits and the building is equipped with many wonderful employee friendly features"
    in 129 reviews
  • "Work life balance is important to the company"
    in 32 reviews
Cons:
  • "Call center environment so you're at your desk taking phone calls the entire shift"
    in 83 reviews
  • "No work life balance, if you miss one single day in the first 6 months you are fired on the spot"
    in 21 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

I've Never Been Happier!

Software Developer & Integrator III (Current Employee)
    Plano, TX

ProsUSAA is the BEST company I have ever worked for. The people are what make this company so great. The work-life balance is good. The benefits are SUPERB! Even better than Microsoft and Google. They believe in and live their mission statement every hour of every day. The work culture is super fun! This company has great core values and plenty of room for promotions. Lots of company activities. Lots of training opportunities.

ConsSome locations have more benefits than others. Also, they have more advancement opportunities than smaller locations. Being in a smaller location sometimes makes us feel isolated from the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep on doing what you are doing. Employes are happy and it shows.

Good place to start.

Home Equity Loan Counselor (Current Employee)
    San Antonio, TX

ProsGood entry level jobs, upward mobility very possible as they seem to only promote from within. Awesome workout facilities and cafeteria. Good employee culture. Decent bonus and over-time often available.

ConsThe job became mind numbing, not challenging, very repetitious. If you move up to manager or other type of position then there may be variety but if not then be prepared to do the same thing over and over. Also be prepared to work 60+ hours in management position with no overtime, salary only at that level.

Advice to Senior ManagementCross train employees as a rule not the exception. You will have greater job satisfaction if people are truly engaged and challenged at work.

Wealth advisor 1

Wealth Advisor I (Former Employee)
    Phoenix, AZ

ProsIf you want a job where nothing really matters and you are simply looking to punch in and punch out everyday, usaa can be for you. Little responsibility.

ConsWow, where do I start.
    1) No business model, upper management changes direction on a semi annual basis.
    2) The managers whom you will be dealing with are simply "yes men" they can force no organization change. They are simply get the email a few hours before the employees on new "changes."
    3) PTO preferences is all done by seniority.
    4) This company still uses green screens for the life insurance company.
    5) IMCO equity products are awful. Underperformance in almost all types of markets.
    6) Most meeting will be around how to sell more annuities or life insurance to people. Because at usaa they believe in "protecting members."
    7) When you have a great year and bonus time comes around expect no more the 5 percent raise. Thats what the top 5 percent will get. Annual raises will be between 1 and 3 percent.
    8) Mass turnover and you will see more smiles at a funeral then working at usaa.

Advice to Senior ManagementAdvice to the incoming CEO, breakdown each department by directors and managers. Bring them all into a room together and ask a simply question... "What is it you do?"

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great Company All-in-All

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsKnows how you give support and still support its members

ConsGood Cons; expect the best out of employees

USAA is a great place to work.

Financial Foundations Associate (Current Employee)

ProsThe pay is fair and the benefits are great. I never knew a company could value their employees as much as USAA does.

ConsHonestly, I can't think of anything negative to say at this time. I'm sure there may be some negatives but I have yet to find them

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work.

Huge disconnect.

User Experience Designer (Former Employee)
    San Antonio, TX

ProsGreat building with lots of amenities.

ConsTop level management and front liners are amazing .... It's the ineffectual, bloated, and insecure middle management that is frightening.

Advice to Senior ManagementLean teams of experienced employees who have a distinctive voice are what is needed at USAA. The second floor is full of inexperienced people with nothing more than management training -- stalking around in hallways looking important and fighting for titles should not be an actual career path.

Great Place to work.

Casualty Claims Examiner (Former Employee)
    San Antonio, TX

ProsGreat pay, excellent benefits, a bonus every year. They take very good care of the employees.

ConsCan be stressful. Can be asked to work overtime; however overtime pay makes it worthwhile.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to try to communicate with employees, particularly customer contact folks.

Shock

Call Center Representative (Former Employee)

ProsIf you have worked there previously, you may enjoy the culture. They do know how to hire good people, so co-workers are wonderful.

ConsThere was no definitive answer for most questions. Training felt like a cross between boot camp and a bad public school. For those who weathered changes and expansions and grew with the company, things seem easier. Training is not adequate, and is extremely stressful. I have the impression from others, including customers, that it used to be better. Maybe there was rapid expansion and not enough oversight. Things may get better, since the foundation is good, but not until the problems are faced.

Advice to Senior ManagementOversight over training for entry level positions should be calibrated and improved.Those who teach should have experience in effective teaching. There was little consistency in method or quality of trainers and managers.

USAA is the best company in San Antonio to work for.

ProsTake care of their people, great benefits.

ConsLayers of bureaucracy make it difficult to get things done in an efficient manner.

Advice to Senior ManagementN/A

Rewarding, Great Career Counseling

Marketing Copywriter (Former Employee)
    San Antonio, TX

ProsFantastic managers in the marketing department (when I was there) and plenty of training. Great open-door policy and I felt like I could meet with management one-on-one anytime I needed to.

ConsToo many layers of management so getting projects completed took forever. Not open to a lot of new ideas and you just sort of have to conform.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you're hiring creative people, let them be creative. It seemed like jobs in the marketing department would turn over quickly because people were bored or not being properly utilized.

Worked for USAA? Contribute to the Community!

USAA Videos

USAA – Why Work for Us?

USAA's Mission The mission of the association is to facilitate the financial security of its members, associates, and their families through provision of a full range of highly competitive financial products and… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at USAA reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for USAA CEO Joe Robles Jr. All 717 reviews posted anonymously by USAA employees.