USAA

www.usaa.com

USAA Reviews

Updated Jul 31, 2014

USAA President and CEO Joe Robles Jr.

Joe Robles Jr.

Pros
  • Great benefits and a wide variety of possibilities with such a large company (in 138 reviews)

• Work life balance is important to the company (in 34 reviews)

Cons
  • Call center environment so you're at your desk taking phone calls the entire shift (in 90 reviews)

• There is NO work/life balance as they would like others to believe (in 22 reviews)

More Highlights

Loved USAA!

Mortgage Processor III (Former Employee) San Antonio, TX

ProsIt's a very structured and organized environment. Training is excellent and you always know what is expected of you. Promotions are raises are easy to come by.

ConsUSAA is a micro-managed environment. Every word you say is critiqued and every minute you are late is noted.

Great place. Wish I never left.

Financial Advisor (Former Employee) Tampa Palms, FL

ProsVery positive, caring management staff who truly wants to see you succeed. Overall compensation (when including benefits) is above what other firms offer with a phenomenal health care plan. Roth 401k with two matches: the first match is 100% for contributions up to 8% and the second is strictly age-based which goes up as you get older. For instance, a 46 y/o who puts in 8% in the 401k, gets another 8% match and an additional 6% on top of it. There are also company wide bonuses. There is a holiday bonus equal to an extra paycheck in December and there is the company-wide bonus which goes to all employees: in the years where I was there it was never below 17%. Generous vacation time.

ConsIf you do not like being a phone sales person (whether in finance, auto insurance, banking), then this is not for you.

Great Place to work.

Casualty Claims Examiner (Former Employee) San Antonio, TX

ProsGreat pay, excellent benefits, a bonus every year. They take very good care of the employees.

ConsCan be stressful. Can be asked to work overtime; however overtime pay makes it worthwhile.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to try to communicate with employees, particularly customer contact folks.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Rewarding, Great Career Counseling

Marketing Copywriter (Former Employee) San Antonio, TX

ProsFantastic managers in the marketing department (when I was there) and plenty of training. Great open-door policy and I felt like I could meet with management one-on-one anytime I needed to.

ConsToo many layers of management so getting projects completed took forever. Not open to a lot of new ideas and you just sort of have to conform.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you're hiring creative people, let them be creative. It seemed like jobs in the marketing department would turn over quickly because people were bored or not being properly utilized.

I took great pride in working at USAA.

Manager (Former Employee) San Antonio, TX

ProsUSAA "walks the walk" and not just "talks the talk" when it comes to its mission: to be the financial services provider of choice for the military community. It truly is service oriented, from top to bottom. As an employee, you never have to worry about doing anything that is remotely unethical. Solid benefit package.

ConsWhile USAA is NOT in any way, shape, or form a part of the US military (which some people believe), it is a regimented workplace, which is born out of its military heritage, i.e., having been formed by US Army officers in 1922 because they couldn't get car insurance for themselves. It's a way of life at USAA, but the company makes it work. They may do things "differently," but the company's year-over-year success rate suggests that it works. You simply have to choose to be a part of the regimented culture or not.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep your focus on the employees. They are the true magic and keepers of the company's soul.

Working hard for the money

Property Adjuster (Current Employee) Tampa, FL

ProsExcellent benefits and 401(k) matching. The salary structure is fair and bonuses serve as a good motivator for me. My direct manager is excellent, which makes my job much less stressful. If you keep your nose to the grindstone, you can make it here. A lot is expected of you, though.

ConsJob diversity is lacking in the regional locations for this company, particularly in Information Technology. For such an innovative company as USAA, they have not embraced ways for regional employees to be part of IT development teams without requiring the employee to relocate.

Advice to Senior ManagementExecutive Management: Town hall meetings are not the best time to solicit feedback from employees. It is next to impossible to get someone to speak up about something when we are all standing in a group of hundreds of our peers plus management. You've embraced smaller break-out sessions, but you won't get open and honest feedback unless you eliminate management from those meetings.

Love the mission.

ProsThe mission and the members you work with. Getting to comminicate and work with executives in a regular basis.

ConsUsually have to work above your position for a significant amount of time before getting promoted and paid for the job.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay your employees for the work they do. Give raises based on performance without the scale that tries to equalize everyone's pay.

A very impressive place to work

Insurance Agent (Former Employee) Sacramento, CA

Prosworking with a team that cares about you, team leaders that motivate you to do better

Consmeeting a "quota" of sales

Advice to Senior Managementdo not focus so much on each call and dissecting the good and bad of the call. Focus on the individual agent and how he/she brings positivity to the company

Financial Advisor

Financial Advisor (Current Employee) Addison, TX

ProsCompensation is decent, bonus is not worth being micro managed to the point of insanity. 401k matching is generous. All other benefits suck.

ConsHR recruiters and management will lie to you about the job, and what it entails. Before I came to work here they informed me that I would be working with people that have money, BUT I DON'T. I'm a glorified debt counselor. I spend most of my day's dealing with people that have no money, and get transfers from ignorant phone reps that I shouldn't be taking. If you accept this position be prepared to be on the front lines. Everything goes through the Financial Advisors to the other departments. Some day's I'm just a switch board representative. I average 40 to 50 calls per day, and management doesn't put you in a position to succeed. They changed our metrics last year, and now our metrics are products per call. It's hard to succeed when 90% of the calls you take a day are debt calls. This creates a perpetual cycle for all the Advisors, you don't hit your numbers, then your manager puts stress on you because you're not hitting your numbers and you keep taking calls that aren't going to allow you to hit your numbers. DO NOT ACCEPT A POSITION FROM HERE!

Advice to Senior ManagementFix the Financial Advisor role! Your going to keep losing Advisors if you don't do something, then all you'll be able to do is hire uneducated monkeys. Take Advisors off of the front line, teach your reps to transfer people over to us that have money. If people don't have money they don't need to talk to us. Make investment service the front line, and have them qualify leads to send over to us. Take away products per call metric unless you're going to send us people that ONLY HAVE MONEY.

Everything that glitters isn't gold

Financial Foundation Representative (Former Employee) Columbus, GA

ProsGreat benefits, yearly and holiday bonuses.

ConsI worked there for less than a year and because I wasn't a good ol'boy they let me go. My numbers where high and member stats where on top. There was poor management and it made for a hostile environment for some of us. Many was afraid to loose their jobs. Forms of bulling, and harassment was a huge issue. Keeping inexperienced managers was more important than beat down employees. Everything in new hires was fabricated and convincing. I was let go after being bullied by my manager and her "mean girls" and asked not to return when left for my lunch break. My manager constantly informed me I am not USAA material and asked me to quit before she fired me. I reached out to hr for help, only to listen to the he say and she say, along with the lies of a 20yr old manager with a high school girl mentality.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement and leadership are two different styles. Just because your title says manager does not mean you are good at your job. Some of the leaders need to be around more to see what really go on behind closed doors. Take care of the employees, they are what makes USAA.

Worked for USAA? Contribute to the Community!