USAA

USAA Reviews

Updated January 29, 2015
Updated January 29, 2015
3.6

USAA President and CEO Joe Robles Jr.
Joe Robles Jr.

Pros
  • Great benefits and a wide variety of possibilities with such a large company (in 157 reviews)

• good work life balance if you have a good/flexible manager/ good pay (in 40 reviews)

Cons
  • Call center environment so you're at your desk taking phone calls the entire shift (in 102 reviews)

• There is NO work/life balance as they would like others to believe (in 24 reviews)

More Highlights

Great company with a focus mission of service

Former Employee - Assistant Vice President, Benefits in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Assistant Vice President, Benefits in San Antonio, TX

I worked at USAA

Pros

Great compensation and benefits. Employees are focused on serving members. Mission statement is the living culture

Cons

Too many layers of decision making. Difficult for leaders to lead their functions.

Excellent; but.......

Former Employee - Senior Risk Advisor
    Former Employee - Senior Risk Advisor

I worked at USAA full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

One of the best companies I've had the pleasure of working for these last 10 years. Benefits, pay, and mission statement are best in class. The products and services they provide to our service members are the best.

Cons

Too many levels of bureaucracy make it difficult to get anything done. Management is orthodox and lacks diversity.

Create a culture that promotes diversity and embraces change.

Great company for its members. Great mission

Current Employee - Financial Advisor III
    Current Employee - Financial Advisor III

I have been working at USAA full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Steady work life balance. Good amount of vacation available. Good benefits available. Members are very receptive to advice and easy to implement action plans.

Cons

Expect transfers for advice on everything from debt management, mortgages, credit repair to retirement planning. All departments refer to us when they don't have the answer or just don't want to be the bearer of bad news.

Reevaluate the guidelines for department referrals to increase referral quality. Most members that are bad referrals are irritated by the time they talk to advisors. Not saying all are bad I have had some really good ones. Just looking for quality increase.

Great company to work for!

Current Employee - Project Manager I in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Project Manager I in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at USAA full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great career advancement opportunities and ability to work in many different areas. Benefits, bonuses, and amount of vacation are all hard to beat.

Cons

It can take a while to advance, but it's worth it if you are willing to put in the time.

Great place to work

Former Employee - Auto Claims Adjuster in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Auto Claims Adjuster in San Antonio, TX

I worked at USAA full-time

Pros

Managers are very personable and helpful
    Team environment offers support to each other
    Encouraged to set personal goals and obtain them through training and education
    Management listens to employees and incorporates employee generated ideas
    Attractive benefits package
    Company contributes to 401k
    Great reward and bonus programs

Cons

Promotions are difficult to obtain

Continue doing what you do the way you do it.

USAA has lost their appeal.

Current Employee - Insurance Agent/Loan Agent in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Insurance Agent/Loan Agent in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at USAA full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great benefits. Decent pay.

Cons

Pushy sales atmosphere. I worked for USAA in the late 90's to 2001. The primary focus was providing excellent customer service, that ideology has disappeared. I went back to work for them in 2011. I was so excited to be working for them again. This time I had to take a sales class to teach me how determine what people need by asking questions that has nothing to do with their reason for calling. Basically, it teaches you to be nosy. Members do not like it. Every week we are "coached" by our team manager. People are pushed to say that they like it, when in all actuality, many people stress out every week wondering what they are going to be picked on about this week. I had one of the top closing rates in the department because I took the time to explain the process to the customer, yet I was told every week that I needed to follow the "call flow" that was taught in the Relationship Sales class. Yes, that is what they call it. All the magazines that publish the top 100 companies to work for in America, get those reports from an annual questionnaire that is given to all employees. They tell you it is confidential, but you are required to do it on your computer while you are logged in and they focus on this questionnaire for about a month, telling you how you should answer the questions. Everyone knows that the manager can see your screen and watch everything you do on the computer, and they can also determine who's is who's, so everyone is afraid to be honest. I know of a couple of people that were called out by their manager for answering something negatively. It used to be one of the greatest companies to work for. Now it's worse than being a car salesman. (Yes, I did that before too). The first time I worked there, I would give a member a quote and then if they were missing information or needed to call back for something, I would give them my extension and have them call me back. Now they won't let you give it out. We don't even get a voice mail any more. The extensions are for internal use only. There were many times that I received calls from irate customers because they had called in several times trying to fix a problem and had to re-explain the problem every time. In our weekly "coaching" our manager will go over your time log: your average call time, and the amount of time you spend in auxiliary mode which doesn't allow calls to come in. They don't want you in auxiliary mode unless it is for a scheduled event. I had two situations where members with multi-million dollar accounts that have been members for decades, were threatening to close all their accounts because they were tired of no one wanting to help fix their problem. Again, this is due to lack of training of the actual job, and too much concern of their phone log looking negative. My only concern was taking care of the member and putting them first while also looking out for the best interest of the company. I told them that I would personally take care of it and call them back. Of course, this caused me to use auxiliary mode, but I saved the accounts. The final straw was when I came in late, for the first time, and was counseled for it. Under normal circumstances, that would have been acceptable, but my management knew that I was getting radiation treatment every morning, and the reason I was late that day was because one of the radiation machines at the hospital broke and they were having to put everyone on one machine. My appointment ran over an hour late that day, causing me to be late. I had no signal in the hospital and was unable to call in to let them know what was going on. Another thing that just came to mind is the annual bonuses. My Last bonus, when I left in 2001 was 24%. That was well over the 18% that they've given out the last few years. Back then it was based on your performance. If you had poor performance, then you received less. The better performers received more. Now, everyone gets the same, so there is no initiative for them to do better.

General Robles announced at one company meeting that USAA is no longer a service company; that they are now a sales company. Published reports and speeches all claim that USAA's membership was up, and gives credit to the relationship sales. That is all misleading. The only reason membership is up is because they opened eligibility to everyone that has honorably served in the military. That opened membership to millions that weren't eligible before. Retention is down. People do not have the loyalty to the company that they used to have. USAA's turnover rate for both employees and members is up. Way up! When I went to work there in '98, no one ever left unless it was for a very good reason, like for me, my husband was active duty and we PCS'd to Georgia. When I left, after 3 and a half years, only one other person in my new hire/ training group had left, and it was because he was fired (for good reason). This time, I was there just under 2 years, and there are only 2 people left that I trained with. You need to focus more on training the employees to do their job. The knowledge and quality isn't there any more. Especially with the contractors. I never thought i would see the day that USAA would use anyone other than USAA employees. Stop focusing so much on sales and focus more on providing the quality of service that the older members remember, and retention and membership will go up. USAA got where it is by word of mouth. Quality customer service goes a long way. Go back to that level of service and stop paying for all the ads and USAA will be as great as it used to be. It is no better than other insurance companies now. It is a member owned company, so treat the members that way and stop treating them as if they are just another sale. I've been a USAA member since I was 5 years old. I don't know anything else, but I do know that USAA is not the company it used to be.

Great benefits

Current Employee - Lead Network Engineer in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Lead Network Engineer in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at USAA full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great benefits. Interesting work. Lots of opportunities to move around if you don't like current position.

Cons

Beurocratic red tape as with any company

Financial Foundations Associate

I have been working at USAA

Pros

Great benefits, opportunity for advancement, many shift options

Cons

Low pay compared to other companies

awesome

I have been working at USAA

Pros

company to settle for
    supportive
    learning
    good package

Cons

you should have good repo with clients
    shud b hard working
    good in communication

Great company with a great mission and benefits

Current Employee - Director in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Director in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at USAA full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

1. Great Mission
    2. Decent pay and great benefits
    3. Employees are top of the line

Cons

1. For a big company, it runs with many inefficiencies
    2. Retention strategy makes it difficult to let go of underperformers
    3. Food is expensive

Spend more time getting the model right.