USAA Reviews

1. Best Company!

Former Employee - New Member Specialist in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - New Member Specialist in San Antonio, TX

I worked at USAA

Pros

Awesome benefits, Annual Bonuses, Great Christmas party

Cons

Lots of pressure when you have to take unexpected leave

Advice to Management

Be more understanding that workers are people and have regular life problems like anyone else.

2. USSA is a company that takes care of its employees and its members.

Current Employee - Claims Adjuster in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Claims Adjuster in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at USAA

Pros

Awesome Company that takes care of its employees. Great 401k match. Education benefits.

Cons

Slow promotion tiimeline. Call Center environment

Not licensed to Sell

Former Employee - Senior Claims Adjuster
    Former Employee - Senior Claims Adjuster

I worked at USAA

Pros

Wonderful benefits. They put money into a health spending account to use towards deductible and out-of-pocket medical expenses. What you don't use continues to roll over. They cover college tuition for certain subjects, degrees and certifications and have an adoption reimbursement benefit. They pay for adjuster licensing and continuing education. I appreciated the opportunity the position afforded me in education, both adjuster-related and otherwise. The current CEO, Joe Robles, is wonderful. I just wished his character would trickle down.

Cons

I had an adjusters license and was hired as an auto claims adjuster, yet the emphasis in performance was placed on referring other products to insured's such as life insurance, new car purchase program, balance transfers, credit cards, etc. I am not a salesperson, and when I was hired it was not part of the position. It is extremely difficult to move up in the company unless you have guilded favor with a director. When I worked there, you could not request a Monday or Friday off without having to get a director to approve it. Unless you pre-scheduled time off the year before, it was very difficult to get more than a couple days in a row off. There was always office drama, rumors and a sense that they would fire you at anytime for something inane. The turn over rate is high, especially around bonus time. The bonus is calculated as part of your yearly salary, but not guaranteed.

Advice to Management

Be realistic, honest and do what is right. We are all human. Have enough integrity to disagree and step away or raise your voice if something or someone is not ethical. People before politics.

5. Accounting/Finance Director

Former Employee - Finance Director in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Finance Director in San Antonio, TX

I worked at USAA full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Local, stable company, serving military families

Cons

Too much process not enough decision making and execution

Advice to Management

Be honest up front rather than shroud in secrets that aren't secrets at all. Word gets around and people speculate and add their own spin causing people to panic.

6. Great company, incredible mission!

Current Employee - Mobile Channel Manager I in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Mobile Channel Manager I in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at USAA full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people at USAA truly care about our membership. This comes through in everything they do and is why so many people love making use of their financial services. It is also a very stable company with very high tenure and very competitive pay and world class benefits. There are some incredible people employed here that can be a real joy to work with. Like every company, it has room to improve but there are very good reasons why it is consistently named one of the best companies to work for.

Cons

The funding model the company currently uses is beyond frustrating. It creates a very slow and painful process in order to get any effort funded. I believe it is being looked at but it can be extremely frustrating no matter where you work. Also, the company is hyper collaborative. This can be a good thing as it ensures many voices are heard but it often leads to congressional decision making and meeting after meeting after meeting to try to get anything done. Big room for improvement from an efficiency perspective.

Advice to Management

Please revise the SPC/OPC model and fund portfolios instead of individual projects.

Insurance Member Service Representative: Job Does Not Live Up To USAA's Reputation

Former Employee - Member Service Representative Specialist in Colorado Springs, CO

I worked at USAA full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Fairly good pay, good benefits. Matching 401k. Covered parking. Nice campus with over-priced cafeteria & over-priced fitness center.

Cons

Micromanagement to the extreme: constant monitoring, which I understand the need for, but the constantly changing metrics on how your performance is measured is unnecessary and is like trying to shoot a moving target. Constant criticism with little to no positive feedback from manager even though members are giving positive reviews. Constantly mandated to cross-sell members other products & services. If you don't referr enough products & services you will be fired, regardless of your job performance in providing good, accurate & timely customer service. Turnover is extremely high. From my original class of 15, only 4 are still employed by USAA. I had a total of 4 managers during my 3 years at USAA; each one had different expectations of the same job. The computer systems are antiquated and error ridden. System updates are often performed without adequate testing & little or no communication of the upcoming change. Some updates have rendered critical systems unusable during prime time. We are told to apologise to members & ask them to call back. My previous work in IT NEVER, NEVER allowed system changes Mon-Fri. All updates had to be installed & tested over the weekend so that impact would be minimized. Managers have the ultimate power. When I appealed my firing over making two minor mistakes during a three week period, HR did nothing to help me retain my job. Instead of coaching employees on how to improve many managers will fire you without notice. When the phones are extremely busy, managers continue to visit with on another & head off to meetings instead of pitching in & taking a few member calls to alleviate member wait time & frustration.

Advice to Management

Upper management should gather a task force to look at managers who have the highest turnover rates. There is a reason why employees are quitting or being fired by certain managers. These managers should be monitored and corrective action should be taken. Also, an exit interview phone call or email by the task force (not HR) should be utilized to discover why turnover is so excessive. Fix the underlying problem instead of hiring and training expendable bodies.

8. Great Company!

I worked at USAA

Pros

The company is amazing! They do take care of their employees, and they do their best to take care of the members.

Cons

A large part of the jobs are tied to the phone.

Great company for transitioning military or spouses.

I worked at USAA

Pros

Team environment, starting pay, growth ability, benefits and incentives.

Cons

lazy workers with no accountability

10. Best place for flexible work

Current Employee - Senior Software Developer in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Software Developer in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at USAA full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good pay, benefits and culture

Cons

Challenging work. A lot of technical challenges. Poorly staffed.

Advice to Management

Need to hire more resources

11. Financial Advisor III

I have been working at USAA

Pros

Great benefits, good bonus and ok salary.

Cons

Micromanagement, there are no commissions