www.usaa.com

USAA Reviews

Updated January 25, 2015
Updated January 25, 2015
3.6

USAA President and CEO Joe Robles Jr.
Joe Robles Jr.

Pros
  • Great benefits and a wide variety of possibilities with such a large company (in 157 reviews)

• good work life balance if you have a good/flexible manager/ good pay (in 40 reviews)

Cons
  • Call center environment so you're at your desk taking phone calls the entire shift (in 102 reviews)

• There is NO work/life balance as they would like others to believe (in 24 reviews)

More Highlights

Easily one of the best companies to work for if you've been in the industry any amount of time.

I have been working at USAA full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Outstanding Customer Focus
    Ethical in all that they do
    Great benefits 8% 401k Match
    Annual Performance Bonus
    Annual Holiday Bonus
    Generous time off (additional days often given around the Holidays)
    Unmatched employee appreciation and recognition in the industry
    Honorable Mission
    Outstanding leadership

Cons

Very discerning customers both internal and external. The companies motto is serving those who serve and they take it very seriously. There is a lot expected of each and every employee at USAA both from peers and management, and the members that we serve. USAA can be a tough place to work for someone who simply wants to go through the motions and coast, and I think that's exactly the way it should be.

Gen. Robles has been an excellent leader. While I hate to see him go, I do understand that this transition is a natural part of the process. I have every confidence that the CEO-Elect will rise to tasks before him and be just as stellar of a leader as Gen. Robles was.

Great Internship!

Former Employee - Digital Channels in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Digital Channels in San Antonio, TX

I worked at USAA as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

The interns are treated very well at USAA. We are given mentors and managers who genuinely care about our success. I learned a lot while interning at USAA and I was able to see how a huge company works in every department. The San Antonio office is very big with many employees and the company works hard for its members. Everyone is very friendly to interns and are willing to help in any way they can. You get put on projects that are actually in development so you get to work with multiple teams.

Cons

Sometimes a project can take longer than necessary because different teams don't take the time to get together and talk about what has already been implemented and the steps to moving forward.

Great Company to start with

I have been working at USAA

Pros

Its all about mentoring and networking. Everyone is so friendly. You can take care of all that you need to without leaving the facility.

Cons

I wish the pay was higher. Compared to other companies the pay is low.

N/A

Great place to work

Current Employee - Specialized Investment Services Representative II in Tampa, FL

I have been working at USAA full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Total compensation, Worklife balance, awesome 401(k) with Roth option, the lowest fees I've ever seen & huge match & bonusessss!!!

Cons

Punctuality. This is a very regimented place to work. You must be there ready to work for the full time you're there except for the 35 minute lunch break, & two 20 minute breaks (enough time for two Ping pong matches)

Change Humana PCA to HSA

Great internship

Former Employee - Underwriting Intern in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Underwriting Intern in San Antonio, TX

I worked at USAA

Pros

Treated just like any other employee not like an intern
    Great benefits package
    Work-life balance is important as well as personal nutrition and exercise

Cons

Very limited opportunities post-internship
    Very few entry-level positions

Provide a clear path for interns to pursue a career at USAA

Good

I have been working at USAA

Pros

so far everything seems great, friendly people. the hours are awesome and love the company values military and veterans.

Cons

so far I have no cons.

No advice.

Amazing place for a career.

Former Employee - Senior Software Developer & Integrator in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Senior Software Developer & Integrator in San Antonio, TX

I worked at USAA full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Perhaps the single best place I have ever worked. The way they treat their employees is second to none. There are amazing perks and benefits that are comparable to top tech firms. While they keep you busy the workload is reasonable and work-life balance is actually attainable. The longer you stay with the company the better things get (tenure is rewarded well).

Cons

The company large and very stratified. While this gives plenty of potential for upward mobility you will almost certainly have to put in above average time to move up as there are always a dozen people that have been there "forever" looking for that promotion you want. As a result often the person that most deserves the promotion is passed over for a more know (usually more tenured) person. Compensation is generally good, but they don't pay the appropriate premiums for specialties in software development (ex: JavaScript developers are getting a premium in the market, but they pay them the same as any other developer). Raises between promotions are negligible barely -- if even -- matching inflation.

When a significant change in pay ranges occurs you need to really consider reevaluating peoples pay inside the scale. Moving the range up 10% on top and bottom then giving someone a 2% raise is like a slap in the face. Especially when that person is now paid in the bottom third of the pay range and is performing excellently.

Great Company

Former Employee - Financial Foundations Associate in Colorado Springs, CO
    Former Employee - Financial Foundations Associate in Colorado Springs, CO

I worked at USAA full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Loved every aspect of this company!! Pay and Benefits were great!!!

Cons

Very strong emphasis on sales, determining members needs.

Current Employee - Property Adjuster in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Property Adjuster in Tampa, FL

I have been working at USAA full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great company! Loves its employees!

Cons

4 ft Cubicle and on phone all day!

Financial Solutions Advisor "Miss-Represented"

Former Employee - Financial Solutions Advisor III in Addison, TX
    Former Employee - Financial Solutions Advisor III in Addison, TX

I worked at USAA full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Group 1 life & health license

Cons

Not adviser: You are the flood gates getting, credit call, auto insurance, loan decline, tax advice calls and leads from those same departments. The reason for this is because of their "Sales, to service" approach. They want you to take all the service calls, even those were you don't have the ability in order to " open up" every call to sell life insurance. You are also forced to act unethically by taking calls you are not trained, nor licensed to take; for example: You are transferred Umbrella Policy calls from that very department for "Advice"; however, one is required to acquire their Property & Casualty license to do so. You serve as the end gate for every other department individual that cant answer a question, even though it has nothing to do with our role. We are not allowed to push back, we have to receive every transfer no matter how unethical it was because we have to open the call and talk about life insurance. Investments are done by a tool that only recommends the funds with lowest expense ratios. There is churning left and right. Investment service groups, 1 in 4 calls have to be a lead to you. They seed doubt in to the member stating they may be in wrong investments in order to get leads, even though, an adviser has already provided and implemented a recommendations not 60 days prior. When this occurs members naturally want to review and are not happy unless their investments are changed causing churning and the member to not take advantage of market growth. Deal with age groups of members under 30's with annuities on the majority due to the high goals...people will choose to keep their jobs.

Actual Jobs you do:
    Debt/Credit counselor
    Switchboard operator
    escalation group
    Bank specialist
    Credit card specialist
    Auto Insurance Specialist
    Real Estate agent : advice on buying and selling homes??? not licensed though.
    Hopefully once per day an actual adviser
    "go to" cold transfer group by every single department so they can get leads that are not quality checked or validated

Curtain placed by all management
    Never takes feedback nor acknowledge issues
    Never have your back
    Never honest with nor tell you whats going on.
    Dissent, the vast majority of the advisers are actively looking to leave due to serious lack of morale.
    They stated they will not expand Investment arm because Insurance and Bank branch of company is breadwinner; therefore, no opportunities in Addison.

**Very oppressive atmosphere where advisers are taken advantage of***

USAA contracts too many of their roles; therefore, many external contractors that could care less all dumping calls to you, regardless of where member actually wanted to go. In addition you are taking all of the other calls from other groups directly, and to add insult to injury, all of those groups also have high lead numbers.

Why they won't do anything, its all like a cover-up.