USAA Reviews

1. Not The Best Place To Work

Former Employee - Mortgage Processor III in Addison, TX
    Former Employee - Mortgage Processor III in Addison, TX

I worked at USAA

Pros

They had good benefits and the bonuses are ok.

Cons

Everything else about the company is pretty bad. The technology is not good. The managers and directors aren't any good. Your opinions don't matter. They don't know what they're doing. The pay is pretty bad, but I didn't know how little I was paid until I started looking around. I had one good manager once, who promoted me twice, but that didn't even get me to $50,000. They start all their processors off at $38,000, if your lucky. The underwriters and closers aren't paid good either. My friends in closing only make $35,000 and underwriters are only paid $55-60,000. They don't get any signing authority either. They don't promote any body from the site. They just bring more of them people in from San Antonio. I'd tell anyone not to work at this place, and I'm not a mad employee. Apply, visit and find out for yours self.

Advice to Management

They need to pay more, get better technology, listen to your employees and get rid of all the managers and directors at that office.

Financial associate

I have been working at USAA (More than a year)

Pros

Great company and benefits!!! Oh! The bonus is a plus.

Cons

Horrible management and little to no opportunities to advance. Your success here depends on how much your manager likes you and how much brown nosing you do. Just being honest. :/

Advice to Management

Move away from the buddy-buddy system and stop promoting people just because they are you friend. Everyone does not have leadership skills, which is required to be an effective leader.

Member Services Rep Sr (Insurance)

Former Employee - Senior Member Services Representative
    Former Employee - Senior Member Services Representative

I worked at USAA full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Affordable benefits: medical, dental, vision, life insurance. Covered parking, nice secured building & campus, cafeteria on sight, matching 401k, year end bonus based on company annual goals financial standing.

Cons

NO JOB SECURITY. Weekly scheduled meeting with your manager to review recorded calls. I had four managers during my three years at USAA & one manager was so negative, she never had a positive comment about ANY of my calls. After over three years of employment at USAA I was "let go" with no notice for making two mistakes over a period of three weeks. (As an aside, I am an extremely hard & conscientious worker with a good work ethic; I was employed for over 25 years with my former employer, which I retired from). Being a call center, I understand the need for calls to be monitored. If you happen to report to a manager who does not like you, monitoring will be done on a full time basis until they document errors sufficient enough to fire you. HR will not defend your good work experience or transfer you to a different manager to assist you in retaining your job. I maintained a good attendance record, received numerous, positive member (customer) surveys & provided excellent customer service. USAA is a revolving door for member service reps. Nearly everyone I trained with has been fired or quit. I have never experienced management that has as much power as the managers at USAA. Your manager will make you or break you & there is nothing you will be able to do about it. I appealed my firing with supporting documentation, but HR will support the manager in nearly all cases. At the end of my three years, I felt that I had gained a vast amount of knowledge & training to sell & maintain homeowners, renters, auto & valuable property policies. I could also review billing statements, take payments, answer questions and advise members as appropriate. I have a Bachelors degree & I continued to take classes (on my own time) working towards being a certified insurance planner above & beyond the job requirements. If USAA wants to break this cycle, only the company's executives and board of directors will have the power to stop this culture & work towards creating a world class call center where employees are treated fairly with dignity & respect.

Advice to Management

Monitor the managers who have higher than average turnover rates. There is a reason they have high turnover rates. Don't let good, loyal employees be shown the door unfairly.

5. Great company with great benefits!

Former Employee - Financial Advisor II in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Financial Advisor II in San Antonio, TX

I worked at USAA full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Training is completely thorough, getting you ready for the position and acclimating you to the culture. Other companies should pay attention to the way USAA incorporates training into your first few months on the job.

Cons

Rigorous schedule and critiquing can be tough to get used to, but the environment is what has made USAA successful over the years.

Advice to Management

Be more understanding of new employees' first year. With little time off and having the lowest priority on booking time off, you might lose some really valuable employees in that first year.

6. USAA to the end

Former Employee - Financial Foundations Senior Specialist in Lakewood, CA
    Former Employee - Financial Foundations Senior Specialist in Lakewood, CA

I worked at USAA (More than 8 years)

Pros

Excellent company to work for and service of military members and their families.

Cons

stagnant growth for frontline representatives to management levels, however additional work processes added to job duties to consolidate workload and seamless call to one person and eliminate transfers without additional compensation for the cross company duties added.

Advice to Management

Communicate more to the front line and support new ideas.

Be careful

Former Employee - Financial Foundations Specialist in Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Financial Foundations Specialist in Tampa, FL

I worked at USAA full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good benefits especially paid vacation. Campus has a gym and relaxation rooms.

Cons

Management is awful and just puppets for the leadership. If your a guy good luck trying to get promoted. Was highered on then told my position was in sales.

Advice to Management

Be fair to your employees and ease up on sales they can happened without the added stress.

IT Project Manager

I have been working at USAA full-time

Pros

Great benefits
    Great people to work with

Cons

Promotions and pay based on time in, not on merit

Great company but day-to-day management needs some work

Former Employee - Insurance Specialist in Colorado Springs, CO
    Former Employee - Insurance Specialist in Colorado Springs, CO

I worked at USAA full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Many opportunities to advance from entry level to manager. Many opportunities to shift from department to department.

Cons

High level of micromanaging; weekly "coaching" sessions; your manager can limit your development and advancement

Great Military Culture

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at USAA full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Above average pay for San Antonio. Great retirement package.

Cons

Military culture. Strict hierarchy. Very regimented

Advice to Management

No advice. Doing something right. Financially sound company that's been around for 90+ years.

Has its pros and cons. It really depends on what you are looking for in a job.Fin

Former Employee - Financial Foundations Specialist in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Financial Foundations Specialist in San Antonio, TX

I worked at USAA full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The pay was fair, and the bonuses are nice. I received two raises, two bonuses and a promotion in the 15 months I was there. My coworkers were very nice, and really understood the concept of teamwork. The company tries really hard to keep the frontline employees, AKA phone reps, happy. Onsite cafeterias, Starbucks, and gyms, and shopping. Can do payroll deductions for meals if you choose to eat in the cafeteria.

Cons

Large call volume, lots of issues with applications. The helpline people weren't very nice or helpful at times. The billing is a nightmare, trying to get any assistance from the billing department besides turning off autopay can be challenging. You will take a lot rate complaints, as USAA has raised the rates in several states. Lots of unengaged lower management. Was expected to handle some very complex issues with little to no training or guidance.

Advice to Management

Look at why so many MSR's are leaving such a great company. Call centers are a tough job, and the new performance metrics are making it unbearable.

Showing 1,015 of 1,059 reviews