USAA Reviews

Updated September 27, 2014
Updated September 27, 2014
3.5

USAA President and CEO Joe Robles Jr.
Joe Robles Jr.

Pros
  • Great benefits and a wide variety of possibilities with such a large company (in 149 reviews)

• You will need them with the stress, good work life balance if you have a good/flexible manager (in 38 reviews)

Cons
  • Call center environment so you're at your desk taking phone calls the entire shift (in 98 reviews)

• There is NO work/life balance as they would like others to believe (in 23 reviews)

More Highlights

Insurance Rep - Phoenix

Current Employee - Insurance Agent  in  Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Insurance Agent in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at USAA full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Set schedule, Shift premium if working weekends or past 6:00, helping our members who are almost all positive and a pleasure to deal with. Benefits are second to none.

Cons

Managers will micromanage every part of a call to hunt for errors. If the call was a good call they will look for one that isn't to find an opportunity. In some cases managers are 2 faced. They may change expectations or scorecards without communicating to the team. Each manager has their own scorecard or expectations for their team. There is no set standard that people are judged against. You may be a superstar on one team and lackluster on another. Weekly one on ones will usually be negative depending on the mood of your manager.

Get on the same page throughout the company on your set of standards for the people on phones. There is no reason one manager should give high 5vs to their team while another team doing the same things are being punished. If you are going to have a bar, set it evenly.

Restructure internal reward, award your frontline

Current Employee - Member Relationship Specialist I  in  Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Member Relationship Specialist I in Tampa, FL

I have been working at USAA full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Health Benefits
    Christmas Bonus
    Yearly Bonus
    Paid time off (up to 30+ days of paid time off w/in first year)
    In house gym

Cons

Technology
    High Call Value (BACK TO BACK)

Stop MicroManaging and Focus on supporting your reps in the time of need

Frustrating company to work for.

Current Employee - Claims Adjuster  in  Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Claims Adjuster in Tampa, FL

I have been working at USAA full-time for more than a year

Pros

Serve an extraordinary group of members.

Cons

Call center environment, limited upward mobility, low pay compared to industry, micro-management

Consider promoting employees that are qualified to do the job and expanding different operations to the regional offices.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Get me outta here

I have been working at USAA full-time

Pros

good benefits, yearly bonuses, Holiday bonus

Cons

very little opportunities to advance, job gets very boring; on the phone 8 hours, expected to stay exactly on schedule

offer more flexible schedules and schedule options.

No development just work horses if you don't know anybody!

I have been working at USAA

Pros

Good financial strength.
    Great facilities!

Cons

*Micromanage
    *Too much favoritism
    Unprofessional management
    *All about who you know (overwhelming office politics.
    *Incorrect performance tools and no accountable for management. ..So stressful on the employee who knows they are doing a great job!

No understanding for taking time off for mental health then began to target or label!

Start taking employees complaints seriously and be sure HE knows that they are not working for the managers only!
     Do what you promise when it comes to investing in your workforce to maintain best in class service!Take some responsibility in the growth of your direct reports.

Get scorecards that make sense to the average Joe and be careful with some of your lines of business using performance measures that are not accurate and using force ranking to attack or target individuals for reasons such as disabilities protected under ADA.

Stop tolerating favoritism because of who you know...promotions, job assignments, and pay should be based on merits.

Great place to work with some flaws

Former Employee - Software Developer & Integrator I  in  San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Software Developer & Integrator I in San Antonio, TX

I worked at USAA full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Top-notch benefits, lots of paid time off, and they're very mindful of work/life balance. Annual holiday and performance bonuses are very generous. Management usually comes off genuinely interested in seeing you succeed, and are willing to work with you to find ways to help you advance your career in whatever way you want to go. Lots of opportunities for professional growth within the IT department -- just have to be willing to speak up and work for it.

Cons

Employees have been pretty vocal about an overly rigorous change release process for putting code in production, but it's only gotten worse over time; Leadership shows strong bias to preferred vendors, even when said vendor doesn't provide the best solution (IBM). Your best shot at a good raise is getting promoted...annual merit raises are there, but they're kind of a joke, and everyone knows it. Also, there's a requirement from leadership that employees are expected to work 10% overtime every week, despite being salary. From a moral standpoint, I think it's one thing to work extra if your tasks at the time demand it, but to tell me I'm expected to work an arbitrary number of hours when I'm salary is kind of ridiculous.

Work on not sending mixed messages to workforce (wanting faster time to market while also wanting better quality code). If you want salaried employees to work a certain amount of overtime every week, be willing to pay them for it. Continue building on the good communication structure between management and non-management. Try to avoid falling into the shady practices of other large corporations amidst such rapid growth.

Incredible Benefits but Political

Former Employee - Director Business Intelligence  in  San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Director Business Intelligence in San Antonio, TX

I worked at USAA full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Incredible Benefits
    Incredible Mission - Supporting the Military
    All the needed resources to succeed once the decision has been made

Cons

Highly Political - It is better to get along then to deliver serious change
    Very slow to make decisions
    Seemingly accountable for everything but responsible for nothing
    Perception is everything

Honest timelines and expectations are needed to understand long term success
    Growth is a challenge if you are not part of the club

Best employer ever.

Current Employee - Financial Foundations Associate  in  Colorado Springs, CO
    Current Employee - Financial Foundations Associate in Colorado Springs, CO

I have been working at USAA full-time for less than a year

Pros

Any corporation can tell you how lucky you are to work there, and most smugly attempt to do so. I've lived the nightmare of working in the call center industry for 6 years, being the corporate scapegoat, and dealing with much more stress than humans ought to be subjected to.
    USAA is so incredibly different. The members who call in (military) are of a higher caliber. Sure, you'll get a jerk every now and then, but that's unavoidable. Members are constantly telling me how proud they are to have USAA. I'm showered with compliments on a daily basis.
    The company believes strongly in a work/life balance, and puts many incentives in place to help you achieve your goals beyond the cubicle walls. The company helped me quit smoking, lose 20 pounds, and has me on a budget plan to help me (FINALLY) get out of credit card debt.
    The culture shock was strong at first, but once I realized USAA was The Real Deal, I became their loudest supporter.
    In terms of advancement, the doors are wide open. Your career path is something that managers coach you on consistently since day one. I've been there 8 months, but I've already graduated 3 levels of skillsets. My next title bump and (significant) pay increase comes next month.
    The annual performance bonuses are fantastic.
    My quality of life has improved drastically since I started working for USAA. If you're on the fence about accepting a position here, I would strongly recommend it.

Cons

For the insurance side of things, you only get a week to study for your state licensing exam. The content is the equivalent of a semester's worth of college course work, but you have to get it down in a week. SUPER stressful.
    The starting pay is pretty decent proportionally to the duties assigned. You may be able to get a higher salary at a different company, but, just remember, your salary is only a base. The benefits beyond the base pay are tangible and useful.
    It's call center work, which is... Not for everyone. You have to be a quick thinker with thick skin, and you have to be REALLY good at not taking things personally.

Great Company but little opportunity to grow.

Former Employee - Claims Manager  in  San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Claims Manager in San Antonio, TX

I worked at USAA full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great company culture. The mission and values are not just words written on the wall. USAA lives by those values and mission. Benefits are good and there is plenty of training and volunteering opportunities.

Cons

The company is very siloed. it is really difficult to move to a different area of the company. Also since it is a good company, there are employees that have been with USAA for well over 20 years. In claims it takes about 20 years to be able to get Christmas week off. Also promotions are very slow the higher up you go.

Good Intern Experience

Current Employee - IT Intern  in  San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - IT Intern in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at USAA as an intern for less than a year

Pros

got great challenging work, competitive pay, and an all around good time. san antonio is awesome, and its a lot of fun living here for the summer. usaa is an amazing place to be, and you meet tons of amazing people in a whirlwind of an experience

Cons

tons of work, would like more pay/bigger bonus, better living situation, apprenticeship offer. i needed less time going to meetings for interns that weren't going anywhere, and more time working on my projects.

need more time learning existing job roles to make a better, more informed decision to work here

Worked for USAA? Contribute to the Community!