USAA Reviews

1,128 Employee Reviews

1. Good company

Former Employee - Financial Foundations Associate in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Financial Foundations Associate in San Antonio, TX

I worked at USAA full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very good at training you so you gave am the tools you need to succeed.

Cons

Pretty much anything you need is there, so on the downside it can feel like you never leave work. Usaa is known for people having affairs for that reason.

2. Best Company I've Worked For

Current Employee - UI/User Experience Designer in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - UI/User Experience Designer in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at USAA (More than a year)

Pros

Amazing benefits, great coworkers and member first mentality.

Cons

Figuring out how to climb the ladder is a bit more difficult but overall the Pros most definitely outweigh the cons.

3. Underwriter

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX

I worked at USAA full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great benefits and great company to work for

Cons

goals are not always clearly defined

5. Management

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at USAA full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The company provides many development courses for management.

Cons

May take time to get to a management position.

6. Financial Advisor

Current Employee - Financial Advisor in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Financial Advisor in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at USAA full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fair pay, benefits, work-life balance, bonus

Cons

call center environment can wear thin short scheduled lunch times

Advice to Management

keep up the great work

7. Great place to work

Pros

I really enjoy working at USAA. Great people; great leadership and overall great culture. The facility is wonderful. It's very large; you could get lost in it!

Cons

I can't think of anything really about USAA that's a con; I really feel like the leadership cares and does their absolute best to be transparent with their decisions.

Claims Examiner

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tampa, FL

I worked at USAA (More than 10 years)

Pros

The salary and benefits are above industry standard once you have been with the company for awhile. New employees are hired in lower than normal, but move up very quickly, too quickly and usually do not have the experience they need to be a manager.

Cons

Extremely high pendings with unrealistic expectations and time limits , all levels of employees are micromanaged. Numbers are more important that quality claims service and customer care.

Advice to Management

Sit in the desk of your employee for 24 hrs and understand what it is like to be in claims. Set realistic expectations.

9. Mission focused and driven

Pros

Motivated agile workplace. Half price food in the cafeteria if it's healthy.

Cons

Low pay. Too mission focused?

Terrible and Awful Full of Bad Culture and Lies

Current Employee - Manager in Addison, TX
    Current Employee - Manager in Addison, TX

I have been working at USAA full-time

Pros

Great place to work if you're desperate and need something to hold you over until you get a real job. They now wait to stab you in the back a whole day. It's a part of their core values to humiliate you and stab you in the back. This company has incredibly poor culture despite what they sell you. The poor culture comes from their home office in San Antonio and they pass it around like a bad case of herpes. No matter how terrible you are, they won't fire you. So this is a great place for employees useless to society in any capacity.

Cons

Poorly managed and led organization, with higher level and executive leaders who have no idea what they're doing (No exaggeration... If you interview with them and ask a direct question, they defer and deflect because they don't know anything at all). They dabble in matters like; Mortgage and Financial Planning, but clearly lack the understanding to truly impact the members they're serving. The organization is very fire drill oriented. So whatever is the biggest fire gets handled first, and they actually sit around waiting for all the other fires to grow, before they decide to handle them. Proactive and preventative measures are foreign concepts to them. That's actually the best way to get fired is to actually be proactive. If you offer any advice as to how to prevent something, they'll assume you're actually out to get them, because they know you're actually smarter than they are. Then you'll get fired... I've seen it happen more times than I can count. The only thing worst than the way they mismanage every aspect of business is the pay and the favoritism... Maybe the subtle racism... But definitely the pay and favoritism. I work at a site where they made all the black managers quit, which I guess nobody finds that to be strange because that's what they do... They just quit. Also, don't bother trying to get promoted here. They actually don't promote qualified people. They just import more of their unqualified buddies from San Antonio, who even less than they do, to fill positions. Not sure why they say this is the best place to work, because it's seriously the worst. My site is hovering over 70% attrition for the year, but they keep saying that's normal. I'm seriously just waiting for an offer from the few companies I interviewed at over the past couple of weeks and I'm out of here. I just wanted to warn you all not to be tricked like the rest of us.

Advice to Management

Maybe pay people what they're worth for starters and they wouldn't quit. Next, do some soul searching and probably fire yourself and the rest of your leadership team. Finally, stop being completely racist and favortist, and hire and promote people who can actually do the job.

11. 7 day wait to release company deposited checks ridiculous

Pros

They are real smooth with luring in your business but do very little to help

Cons

Might as well go with traditional banking the company is designed to screw you

Showing 1,128 of 1,181 reviews