USAA
www.usaa.com San Antonio, TX 5000+ Employees

USAA Reviews in San Antonio, TX

Updated Jul 3, 2014

USAA President and CEO Joe Robles Jr.

Joe Robles Jr.

336 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Loved USAA!

Mortgage Processor III (Former Employee)
    San Antonio, TX

ProsIt's a very structured and organized environment. Training is excellent and you always know what is expected of you. Promotions are raises are easy to come by.

ConsUSAA is a micro-managed environment. Every word you say is critiqued and every minute you are late is noted.

Great Place to work.

Casualty Claims Examiner (Former Employee)
    San Antonio, TX

ProsGreat pay, excellent benefits, a bonus every year. They take very good care of the employees.

ConsCan be stressful. Can be asked to work overtime; however overtime pay makes it worthwhile.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to try to communicate with employees, particularly customer contact folks.

I took great pride in working at USAA.

Manager (Former Employee)
    San Antonio, TX

ProsUSAA "walks the walk" and not just "talks the talk" when it comes to its mission: to be the financial services provider of choice for the military community. It truly is service oriented, from top to bottom. As an employee, you never have to worry about doing anything that is remotely unethical. Solid benefit package.

ConsWhile USAA is NOT in any way, shape, or form a part of the US military (which some people believe), it is a regimented workplace, which is born out of its military heritage, i.e., having been formed by US Army officers in 1922 because they couldn't get car insurance for themselves. It's a way of life at USAA, but the company makes it work. They may do things "differently," but the company's year-over-year success rate suggests that it works. You simply have to choose to be a part of the regimented culture or not.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep your focus on the employees. They are the true magic and keepers of the company's soul.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Rewarding, Great Career Counseling

Marketing Copywriter (Former Employee)
    San Antonio, TX

ProsFantastic managers in the marketing department (when I was there) and plenty of training. Great open-door policy and I felt like I could meet with management one-on-one anytime I needed to.

ConsToo many layers of management so getting projects completed took forever. Not open to a lot of new ideas and you just sort of have to conform.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you're hiring creative people, let them be creative. It seemed like jobs in the marketing department would turn over quickly because people were bored or not being properly utilized.

Huge disconnect.

User Experience Designer (Former Employee)
    San Antonio, TX

ProsGreat building with lots of amenities.

ConsTop level management and front liners are amazing .... It's the ineffectual, bloated, and insecure middle management that is frightening.

Advice to Senior ManagementLean teams of experienced employees who have a distinctive voice are what is needed at USAA. The second floor is full of inexperienced people with nothing more than management training -- stalking around in hallways looking important and fighting for titles should not be an actual career path.

Claims Adjuster

General Adjuster (Former Employee)
    San Antonio, TX

ProsGreat pay and great benefits.

ConsPrior to starting 10 years ago, I was warned that they would work me to death. I have found that to be true. There is NO work/life balance as they would like others to believe. They tripled in their policy base since the time that I started but did not increase the size of our field claims staff by even one person while other departments kept increasing to keep up with the workflow.

Advice to Senior ManagementStaff all departments accordingly so that field claims do not have to put in 70 hours plus per week and work while on vacation.

lacking

Data Stage Developer (Former Employee)
    San Antonio, TX

ProsThe salary was a bit higher than expected for the area.

Consif you were not former military, you were treated as a second class citizen. Consultants were also not treated as well as FTE's. Pretty much all consultants are expendable, and there was a lack of respect concerning them. The security was a bit over zealous. Traffic getting in and out is terrible.

Advice to Senior Managementtreat everyone equally and give more employee feedback.

Great company! Great Benefits! Great annual bonuses and holiday bonus!!!

MRS I (Former Employee)
    San Antonio, TX

ProsYou just have to answer calls, and they train so well, you cannot go wrong. They pay for all licensing. You are ready to answer questions; well prepared. They take care of their employees. You get an annual performance bonus in February each year that has been around 18% each year for the last 5 years, they give you $3000 per year on a medical card that continues to accrue so if you retire you have all the money you need to care for your healthcare, I left with $12000 in my card after just 5 years and a couple procedure that drained my card. You get 4 floating holidays, 3 flex holidays, 2 bonus CEO days off, holidays plus 3 weeks of vacation; adds up to 2 months of time off and the more hours (OT) you work the more time you earn. PTO is never a flat rate, you can work 4 10 hours shifts, 5 8 hours and a number of different start times are available. All you have to do is make sure you offer appropriate solutions and do your job, answer calls- so easy. I loved that company and had to leave after 10 years. I was automatically promoted 5 positions and $35000 increase in my salary over the 10 years there. Education is the best! You get an education card that pays up to $5250.00 and no reimbursement is needed so you don't get stuck with loans, great 401k matches, you can take up to 2 401k loans if needed. disability pay is up to 100% depending on your length of employment

ConsIts difficult to get time off you really want if you are not tenured but you will still get time off

Advice to Senior ManagementI really liked all management there.

Great place to work but have to be willing to stick to the phone! All hands on deck at all times!

Mortgage Specialist (Current Employee)
    San Antonio, TX

ProsPay, people, culture, and prestige.

ConsYou are tied to the phone like no other company in history. But hey, its a call center and that what your paid to do right?

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work!

Great people but going too many directions

San Antonio, TX

Pros- A workforce committed to their mission and to doing right by their clients
    - Genuine focus on employee development
    - Generous pay

Cons- Trying to change too much simultaneously
    - Can be overly paternalistic with customers
    - Prone to group think

Advice to Senior Management- Restore better work-life balance for rank and file employees

Worked for USAA? Contribute to the Community!

USAA Videos

USAA – Why Work for Us?

USAA's Mission The mission of the association is to facilitate the financial security of its members, associates, and their families through provision of a full range of highly competitive financial products and… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at USAA reviews and ratings in San Antonio, TX — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for USAA CEO Joe Robles Jr. All 336 reviews posted anonymously by USAA employees.