USAA
www.usaa.com San Antonio, TX 5000+ Employees

USAA Reviews in San Antonio, TX

Updated Apr 19, 2014

USAA President and CEO Joe Robles Jr.

Joe Robles Jr.

313 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great organization

IT Manager (Current Employee)
San Antonio, TX

I have been working at USAA full-time for more than a year

ProsBenefits - PTO- Bonus - parking garage - salary speakers brought in monthly for IT - Employee picnics and other gatherings , co workers become your friends - very friendly environment - lots of mentoring if you want it

ConsChallenges working with various silos within the organization - sometimes the right hand does not know what the left hand is doing - most really want to do the right thing

Advice to Senior ManagementFacilitate better interaction and communication across the individual organizations; introduce people before meetings start ; state meeting purpose

Great consulting client -- good people, challenging projects, opportunities to make a difference.

Consultant (Current Employee)
San Antonio, TX

I have been working at USAA as a contractor for more than a year

ProsMinimal politics at the project level. Fantastic facility (San Antonio HQ). Treat consultants very well as long as they communicate well and perform to expectations (which are generally clear and fair). Strong moves toward greater adoption of self-service reporting, operational and predictive analytics, voice of customer analysis, leveraging big data and data science approaches.

ConsToo much chain-of-command, too many levels of decision-making and too much decision-by-committee. Big opportunities for greater program (horizontal) management rather than many silo-ed projects that frequently conflict or miss opportunities to combine efforts.

Advice to Senior ManagementUSAA has a great culture and a strong mission -- work on connecting your people and projects across internal organizations to do greater things faster -- make agile truly agile.

If you're into bureaucracy

Information Technology (Former Employee)

I worked at USAA full-time for more than 5 years

ProsPersonnel, benefits, competitive salaries, and stability

ConsConstant shifts in management and structure, meetings about meetings

Advice to Senior ManagementYou deserve a performance appraisal from your employees, not from your upline.

We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great company

Real Estate Financial Foundations Specialist (Current Employee)

I have been working at USAA full-time for more than 8 years

ProsBuild life long relationships with other employees.

ConsMust adhere to the companies expectations for on phone work load.

Working at USAA has been a wonderful & challenging!!

Senior Software Developer & Integrator (Current Employee)

I have been working at USAA full-time for more than 10 years

ProsI enjoy working in IT. I can make a difference by supporting the applications used by our military community! The CEO is someone I have great respect for and he leads the company based on honesty & integrity. We never lose sight of the fact that our mission is to be the provider of choice for the military and to always have their financial security as our top priority

ConsIT can be very demanding but management is always encouraging us to keep a balance between work and home.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt would be nice if the company officially recognized 'comp time' for IT employees since all of us are salaried whether or not we are actually in management.

Great company to work for if you are not on the phones

Member Relationship Specialist II (Former Employee)

I worked at USAA full-time for more than 3 years

ProsExcellent pay, excellent benefits, and great people.

ConsIf you are a customer service rep you are bombarded with calls non stop all day long. The selling or offering goals are high. For me it just wasn't a great fit. I'm not someone who likes selling jobs.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagers were great and supportive

Nowhere near what it once was or what it could have become. It's on it's tipping point of a downward spiral.

Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at USAA full-time for more than 10 years

ProsSome of the people truly care about our mission, our members and the future of our organization. Inaction is rewarded, so if you want to coast...

ConsThe sheen is becoming slightly dull on the old kings crown. LOTS of outside 'talent' coming in from old competitors who went belly up in the financial crisis. Sadly no one at the top of USAA seems smart enough to see the history these executives made at their old companies is likely soon to repeat itself at USAA. Times are changing and not for the better. Its clear we have lost the focus on what made us who we are.

Heres the simple equation on how the company grew to greatness: The best employees take care of the best members who are loyal and buy products from the best company. Employees CARE ABOUT THE COMPANY and protect it from exorbitant expenses as if it were their own. This makes competing on price easy and further enhances retention, because service doesn't have to be sacrificed.

These new folks spend money like it was air and do not care about this company like they should. We're becoming very top heavy with new made up executive positions so they can bring in more of their old buddies. They create new jobs for each other with gobbledygook titles full of exec-u-speak like Executive of Execution Sales Relationship Integrator. Why do this? When no one knows what you do how can you do it wrong? I'll create a made up position for you, you create one for me and off we go. Meanwhile the long term folks who care about our mission get a 1% annual pay increase, don't get the budgets needed to improve our antique infrastructure and systems or staff our operations appropriately. Downward spiral.

Today 'taking care of employees' is a joke. They are overworked. It's an ever lower priority, the pension is gone, Humana health care coverage is universally hated and horrible, annual raises are averaging a half percent. Employees are seen and treated as nothing more than replaceable commodities. Quality and service are frequently sacrificed at the alter of year over year growth. Quality leaves, then goes the brand reputation, then goes the loyalty, then goes customer retention and all that's left is to compete on price while carrying the bloated top heavy executive compensation packages. So what to do? Squeeze whomever is left, the frontline employee, "do more with less" is the mantra. Turnover grows, you loose your skilled anchors who are the only ones capable of delivering the quality service you promised. And there we have it history has repeated

Advice to Senior ManagementMy advice is to stop allowing so many outside influencers in at such high levels. If they want to work with the best, come in and work your way up. Make them spend a year learning our business and culture before they are allowed to make decisions. The talent they bring isn't worth the lack of USAA culture they have. They just don't get it and never will until it's too late. Old school USAA was like a cult but in a very good way. We need a top down shake up, we need to focus on frontline employees like we used to. We need someone to squash this negative outside culture before it ruins us like it did the companies they came to is from.

Very disillusioned after 8 years of loyal service and exemplary performance reviews.

Director (Former Employee)

I worked at USAA full-time for more than 8 years

ProsGreat benefits and retirement package, onsite fitness centers, food services, pharmacy, etc., career options and opportunities, and community involvement.

ConsMicro managers - CYA mentality. It's very difficult to get out from under the control of a micro manager.

Advice to Senior ManagementAllow your team to stand in the light occasionally. Learn how to be gracious and supportive of the talent on your team - that's why you hired them isn't it?

Hardest Job Ive Ever Had

Collector (Current Employee)
San Antonio, TX

I have been working at USAA part-time for more than a year

ProsGreat company benefits and the bonus is amazing. Good culture and values

ConsThey say there is room for personal growth however if you have a bad manager they want to keep you on their team so it doesn't look bad on them that people are wanting to leave. In addition to that they give you reasons like "there is high demand in this job right now" or "this department is very busy" and you can't get out. There was one lady on my team who went to school for real estate and worked in the real estate department for over 5 years, they transferred her to my department because it was busy with promise that she would be there maximum a year...its been 12 years and she is still there.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere is too much. Most of them think they are on top of the world

Great Benefits and Great Work Environment

Senior Software Developer & Integrator (Current Employee)

I have been working at USAA full-time for more than 3 years

ProsMost of the managers I have had have been very good. Overall there is a great work environment. Lots of perks and nice benefits.

ConsStructure can be overly regimented in some aspects.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere are new ways of working coming on the horizon. Command and Control style thinking and ways of getting things done can only take you so far. Even if top management understands this, USAA won't be able to innovate unless middle and front line managers begin to understand how to tap into the full potential of all the employees.

Worked for USAA? Contribute to the Community!

USAA Videos

USAA – Why Work for Us?

USAA's Mission The mission of the association is to facilitate the financial security of its members, associates, and their families through provision of a full range of highly competitive financial products and… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at USAA reviews and ratings in San Antonio, TX — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for USAA CEO Joe Robles Jr. All 313 reviews posted anonymously by USAA employees.