USAA

www.usaa.com

USAA Reviews in Tampa, FL

Updated Jul 20, 2014

USAA President and CEO Joe Robles Jr.

Joe Robles Jr.

Pros
  • Great benefits and a wide variety of possibilities with such a large company (in 138 reviews)

• Work life balance is important to the company (in 34 reviews)

Cons
  • Call center environment so you're at your desk taking phone calls the entire shift (in 90 reviews)

• There is NO work/life balance as they would like others to believe (in 22 reviews)

More Highlights
65 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

USAA is a company that has managed to remain financially stable throughout all obstacles within the economy.

Financial Foundations Specialist (Former Employee) Tampa, FL

ProsThe office culture is strict and demanding. Onsite cafeteria, Java, daycare and gym. Personal growth depends on you. Most managers will help you succeed if you are willing to go the extra mile. The benefits are one of the best corporate has to offer

ConsThe office culture is strict and demanding. Training is practical but not realistic. Leadership can be challenging depending on the manager's skills and knowledge.

Great place. Wish I never left.

Financial Advisor (Former Employee) Tampa Palms, FL

ProsVery positive, caring management staff who truly wants to see you succeed. Overall compensation (when including benefits) is above what other firms offer with a phenomenal health care plan. Roth 401k with two matches: the first match is 100% for contributions up to 8% and the second is strictly age-based which goes up as you get older. For instance, a 46 y/o who puts in 8% in the 401k, gets another 8% match and an additional 6% on top of it. There are also company wide bonuses. There is a holiday bonus equal to an extra paycheck in December and there is the company-wide bonus which goes to all employees: in the years where I was there it was never below 17%. Generous vacation time.

ConsIf you do not like being a phone sales person (whether in finance, auto insurance, banking), then this is not for you.

Working hard for the money

Property Adjuster (Current Employee) Tampa, FL

ProsExcellent benefits and 401(k) matching. The salary structure is fair and bonuses serve as a good motivator for me. My direct manager is excellent, which makes my job much less stressful. If you keep your nose to the grindstone, you can make it here. A lot is expected of you, though.

ConsJob diversity is lacking in the regional locations for this company, particularly in Information Technology. For such an innovative company as USAA, they have not embraced ways for regional employees to be part of IT development teams without requiring the employee to relocate.

Advice to Senior ManagementExecutive Management: Town hall meetings are not the best time to solicit feedback from employees. It is next to impossible to get someone to speak up about something when we are all standing in a group of hundreds of our peers plus management. You've embraced smaller break-out sessions, but you won't get open and honest feedback unless you eliminate management from those meetings.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Low pay, easy work

Financial Foundations Associate (Current Employee) Tampa, FL

ProsWork is easy, good benefits, friendly co workers

Consconstant call monitoring, high volume call center work, non flixble hours, overly strict badge policy. Only advancment for call center positions in a trainer or manager.

Best Place to work.

Claims Adjuster (Former Employee) Tampa, FL

ProsI worked for this company for 3 years and had to leave due to a change in location. I could not keep my employment. The company offers great benefits, is very high tech, good with people with disabilities and truly wants to make there members happy. They protect there members better then most financial institutions.

ConsAs an auto claims adjuster, i felt the training was a bit lacking. It was not hands on enough. Just taking modules on computers did not catch me well enough, but I came into the company with experience.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work!

Fired while out on leave for complicated pregnancy DAY BEFORE MY DELIVERY!!

Member Relationship Specialist II (Current Employee) Tampa, FL

ProsGood Benefits,Great Cafe on site,Fitness Center,and safe environment.

ConsThis place is micromanagement to the extreme. It was AWFUL. Don't get off the phone to go to the bathroom unless it's scheduled! Your calls are monitored,your breaks are monitored,you have to sit and review calls periodically with your manager and if you were lucky to have the crazy woman who was my manager....Oh boy good luck. This company was not a good company to work for. How about this manager calls me up the DAY BEFORE I have my baby and FIRES me? ON THE SPOT I lose my benefits and everything and she KNEW I was delivering the next day. If you want a company that throws you out like that then go ahead.

Advice to Senior ManagementWant to stop high employee turnover? STOP MICROMANAGING!!

Average Company at Best

Financial Foundations Associate (Current Employee) Tampa, FL

Pros~ Great Benefits (Health, Up to $10k for College, & 401k Match)
    ~ Grounds are Beautiful

Cons- MicroManaged
    - Unrealistic Quality Standards
    - On-Site Gym is Double the cost of LA Fitness, which is much better & had multiple locations
    - Poor base pay. Although the generous profit sharing bonus helps, it only comes in February.
    - Feel like just a number
    - Extremely difficult to get time off

Structured

Associate Claims Adjuster (Current Employee) Tampa, FL

ProsBenefits and bonus. Very nice facility with gym.

ConsToo structured and military like. Work life balance is very good. Micro managed. Compensation is low for market.

Advice to Senior ManagementRelax

Worst job ever

Auto Loans (Former Employee) Tampa, FL

ProsCannot find a reason to work there. Pay was only decent, hours changed constantly, management had all been promoted past their abilities, training was ineffective.

ConsThe lady next to me was physically ill (projectile vomiting) and went to the nurse to get excused for the day, but was told to return to her desk.
    Training is weak, but if you critique it honestly on the end-of-course questionnaire, you will be told that you must change your answers.
    Managers are promoted purely on time served, not ability.

Great company if you are ready to work hard for all benefits.

Auto Claims Adjuster III (Current Employee) Tampa, FL

Pros- Benefits are great
    - Company with values
    - Clear expectations

Cons- Environment is hectic- call center
    - Micro management

Worked for USAA? Contribute to the Community!