www.usaa.com

USAA Reviews in Tampa, FL

Updated December 6, 2014
Updated December 6, 2014
3.6

USAA President and CEO Joe Robles Jr.
Joe Robles Jr.

Pros
  • Great benefits and a wide variety of possibilities with such a large company (in 157 reviews)

• good work life balance if you have a good/flexible manager/ good pay (in 40 reviews)

Cons
  • Call center environment so you're at your desk taking phone calls the entire shift (in 102 reviews)

• There is NO work/life balance as they would like others to believe (in 24 reviews)

More Highlights

73 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great place to work

Current Employee - Specialized Investment Services Representative II in Tampa, FL

I have been working at USAA full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Total compensation, Worklife balance, awesome 401(k) with Roth option, the lowest fees I've ever seen & huge match & bonusessss!!!

Cons

Punctuality. This is a very regimented place to work. You must be there ready to work for the full time you're there except for the 35 minute lunch break, & two 20 minute breaks (enough time for two Ping pong matches)

Change Humana PCA to HSA

Current Employee - Property Adjuster in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Property Adjuster in Tampa, FL

I have been working at USAA full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great company! Loves its employees!

Cons

4 ft Cubicle and on phone all day!

Florida call center

Former Employee - Insurance Agent in Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Insurance Agent in Tampa, FL

I worked at USAA full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Updated facility with a nice atmosphere. Most employees are very nice and a lot are veterans or the spouse of one.

Cons

They are really on top of you to try and sell something to every customer. This is annoying and you can tell most customers hate it. There is a lot of stress in a call center and management doesn't seem to understand that.

Great for a new college grad or someone who just wants to 'coast' for the rest of their career.

Current Employee - Financial Foundations Specialist - Mortgage in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Financial Foundations Specialist - Mortgage in Tampa, FL

I have been working at USAA full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Very easy job with no skill or knowledge requirements.
    Great Benefits, annual bonus, employee discounts, onsite gym, health incentives, covered parking, no smoking on campus, tuition reimbursement.
    Average salary for the job.
    They have a great membership following, its almost like a cult. This is great for the company, helps them grow and should assist with company growth

Cons

They set the expectations way too high which makes the reality worse.
    They prefer you to say yes, don't ask too many questions and don't go against the status quo.
    Micro, micro, micro managed!. Its really bad and can be unbearable depending on your Manager. Certain managers harass you for being 1 or 2 minutes late from break/lunch which makes the job very stressful.
    Need to be more proactive instead of reactive. They don't look to fix processes until it blows up and members post on Facebook about it. They were advised on the same problems by employees for years prior.
    No available mentoring or knowledge advancement through leadership.
    They don't manage people, only statistics and metrics.
    All the managers do (during coaching) is give you scripted, ambiguous jargon they've received from higher ups. It would be great to learn some real professional tools/ knowledge I could use to advance my career. My best advice is to use the tuition reimbursement. Although you won't be able to use it on the job or with USAA, you can carry it to your next company.
    When hired, we were advised about so many opportunities for growth and advancement but found that is only available in the corporate office (San Antonio).
    The way you're rated/scored for promotions has nothing to do with knowing the business or products. Although this is great for people who don't care to learn the products and business, its frustrating when the person who has no clue whats going on becomes your Manager.

Most of my friends are like me; want to learn, progress, pursue advanced degrees and certifications so there's no way I can recommend usaa to a friend. I constantly tell them to look elsewhere unless they just need a job for the short term until something better come available.

Change the scoring/employee benchmark ratings. None of it has anything to do with knowledge or knowing the products which should be the focus. All you have to do is stay on a call forever (which we all do) and management perceives you as a great employee and worthy of promotion. That is not a skill!!

Excellent company to work for

Current Employee - Claims Manager in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Claims Manager in Tampa, FL

I have been working at USAA full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Excellent benefits, nice place to work, good environment

Cons

Company ethics, directors and AVPs all need to be replaced

Overall good experience at this job.

Current Employee - Financial Foundations Specialist in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Financial Foundations Specialist in Tampa, FL

I have been working at USAA full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Easy to advance if you are motivated.

Cons

Typical call center rules and regulations.

Harder to cope when you have an un experienced manager.

Frustrating company to work for.

Current Employee - Claims Adjuster in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Claims Adjuster in Tampa, FL

I have been working at USAA full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Serve an extraordinary group of members.

Cons

Call center environment, limited upward mobility, low pay compared to industry, micro-management

Consider promoting employees that are qualified to do the job and expanding different operations to the regional offices.

Restructure internal reward, award your frontline

Current Employee - Member Relationship Specialist I in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Member Relationship Specialist I in Tampa, FL

I have been working at USAA full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Health Benefits
    Christmas Bonus
    Yearly Bonus
    Paid time off (up to 30+ days of paid time off w/in first year)
    In house gym

Cons

Technology
    High Call Value (BACK TO BACK)

Stop MicroManaging and Focus on supporting your reps in the time of need

USAA is a company that has managed to remain financially stable throughout all obstacles within the economy.

Former Employee - Financial Foundations Specialist in Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Financial Foundations Specialist in Tampa, FL

I worked at USAA full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The office culture is strict and demanding. Onsite cafeteria, Java, daycare and gym. Personal growth depends on you. Most managers will help you succeed if you are willing to go the extra mile. The benefits are one of the best corporate has to offer

Cons

The office culture is strict and demanding. Training is practical but not realistic. Leadership can be challenging depending on the manager's skills and knowledge.

Great place. Wish I never left.

Former Employee - Financial Advisor in Tampa Palms, FL
    Former Employee - Financial Advisor in Tampa Palms, FL

I worked at USAA full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Very positive, caring management staff who truly wants to see you succeed. Overall compensation (when including benefits) is above what other firms offer with a phenomenal health care plan. Roth 401k with two matches: the first match is 100% for contributions up to 8% and the second is strictly age-based which goes up as you get older. For instance, a 46 y/o who puts in 8% in the 401k, gets another 8% match and an additional 6% on top of it. There are also company wide bonuses. There is a holiday bonus equal to an extra paycheck in December and there is the company-wide bonus which goes to all employees: in the years where I was there it was never below 17%. Generous vacation time.

Cons

If you do not like being a phone sales person (whether in finance, auto insurance, banking), then this is not for you.