USBC Reviews

Andrew Cain

1. Good employer

Current Employee - Random Worker Bee in Arlington, TX
    Current Employee - Random Worker Bee in Arlington, TX

I have been working at USBC full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The organization offers fair benefits, paid time off, 401k matching, a comfortable work environment, growth through continuing education and training, and the opportunity to be paid as part of the sport we love. Several of our senior positions are filled by people who started out part time and worked up the ladder so advancement is real here. Management (under Chad and Jason) has shown to be very willing to work with staff in many ways. If you think something is done wrong or could be done better another way, senior management really does listen and really will make changes where possible. There are more social events and investment in making work fun than ever before. The experience of working for USBC is improving by leaps and bounds over previous leadership.

Cons

Pay is not high but it's a nonprofit so that is to be expected. Medical insurance has a higher deductible but it's affordable. Unused PTO just vanishes every year.

Advice to Management

I believe our senior management works as hard or harder than anyone under them because I see it daily. My advice is to keep it up! You inspire with your contribution and passion and work ethic. That being said, USBC membership should be an employment perk. Taking our earned but unused PTO without giving us anything for it is harsh. I understand the push to actually use the time off but that's much easier said than done for some of us.

2. Run!!!

I worked at USBC (Less than a year)

Pros

In general i though the pppl are nice but felt management caused horrible treatment .But the sport I will love 4 forever

Cons

Opinion- board ripped the best ppl out for money/ revenge to downsize- better jobs in merchandising for bowling, dont bother here

Advice to Management

I think they will sink the sport and not care - bowlers - u think u ll be treated right?, they offer nothing!!!!!! Opinion yet again please explain -USBC = your budget? , Bpaa-= sponsor rumors, ?? get back to our sport! and service!!!!

3. nice people but a serious lack of leadership at the Executive Director Level

I worked at USBC full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good sport, good coworkers,nice office building to work out of, excellent location and decent pay for a non profit

Cons

Lack of leadership at the ED level, board is way to involved in decisions, very political

Advice to Management

Hire someone who is not afraid to make changes to the organization...the company is bleeding to death and someone needs to be given the empowerment to make decisions to fix the problem...empower your employees!!!

5. Not bad, a bit slow, a bit misdirected as a company sometimes.

I have been working at USBC full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Friendly co-workers. Comfortable work environment.

Cons

In 5 years they went through 2 down sizings and eliminated positions including mine.

Advice to Management

The board and higher ups need to focus on bringing in income and not allow membership to dictate every decision because they don't want yearly membership fees to be increased. Based on a lack of job security and the number of employees I saw get released in the 5 years I was there I would caution anyone applying for a job with them.

6. Good sport experience opportunity for college students

Former Intern - Intern in Arlington, TX
    Former Intern - Intern in Arlington, TX

I worked at USBC as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Learned a lot about bowling

Cons

No real cons, enjoyed the experience

Incompetent higher management in the Leadership

Current Employee - Engineer in Arlington, TX
    Current Employee - Engineer in Arlington, TX

I have been working at USBC

Pros

It's a good place to work ONLY if you love bowling and the politics that go with it.

Cons

If you're not among the Higher management favorites, then forget it. Employees are treated like crap. USBC is one place where there's almost no value for actual talent. Matter of fact it is one company where I have seen the breed of the most incompetent people.

Advice to Management

Learn how to value your sincere employees.

8. Poor General Experience

Former Employee - Research Engineer in Arlington, TX
    Former Employee - Research Engineer in Arlington, TX

I worked at USBC

Pros

A Love of bowling, great workers, ability to travel, dealing with normal people at conventions, ability to learn on the fly.

Cons

Exceptionally poor senior management, board only cares about themselves.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees, do not spend $25M to move to Arlington, TX; The board of directors have no concern for the general employees, highly political workplace

9. Great place to work

I have been working at USBC

Pros

Lots of good people who care about the sport.

Cons

Too much micro-management at higher levels.

RSS Feed </> Embed