USC Consulting Group

www.usccg.com

USC Consulting Group Reviews

Updated Jun 10, 2014
USC Consulting Group – US – “Tampa office”

George W. Coffey & James A. Ostrosky

Lots of experience gained. Work your butt off here for a year or so and go make some good money with another company.

Senior Project Consultant (Current Employee) Tampa, FL

Pros1. Frequent flyer miles and hotel points.
    2. Beach time if you are lucky
    3. Alternative travel - instead of going home you can fly somewhere else for a weekend as long as it does not exceed your budgeted weekly flight.
    4. Per diem is untaxed and is given to you daily when you are on a project, this helps offset the $45K/year crappy salary you start out with as a Senior Project Consultant.

Cons1. Low pay compared to other consulting firms
    2. Managers and supervisors are all business, they have no sense of humor
    3. Travel to places that are located in the middle of nowhere with no culture
    4. Only 10 days vacation per year starting after year 1.
    5. Management often changes their mind and blames it on their employees
    6. Management expects you to have a full schedule, then on top of that do whatever work that comes up last minute for them.

Advice to Senior ManagementHave a better training program and adhere to company policies. This company has no HR department, so even if I did want to complain about something, there is no one to complain to. Lastly staff more employees on projects this will help managers become less miserable.

"When you are working, work long hours...when you are off, you are off."

Project Consultant (Former Employee)

ProsIf you were off for that week, you still received the full salary. Company does expect you to get Lean Six Sigma certifications through studying/completing exams.

ConsVery long hours; work 8 hours observing manufacturing employees, eat dinner, and then go back to the hotel to compose reports/charts to be submitting before going back to sleep. 100 percent travel so if you have a family it is difficult to have work/life balance.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to spend more time developing and training associates for advancement and professional growth.

Challenging but you can learn a lot about yourself and business processes

Project Manager (Current Employee) Tampa, FL

ProsVery challenging and fast paced work where you can have a direct impact of changing business processes of a client. Development and learning is totally up to the individual. You do get to travel to a lot of places so you should have an independent mentality. Great place to kick-off your career if you're a recent college grad. Other reviews have mentioned hostile and abusive environment but the company culture has changed for the better and more professional. Great health plan and 401K plan in which the company contributes on your behalf.

ConsTravel is 100% (Sunday-Friday) where most other consulting companies return home on Thurs. Work / Life balance suffers. The pay is decent, however other consulting companies will offer about 40-50% more in salary. No formal or structured training program in place. Much of it is on the job training and hopefully you have a project manager who is a mentor and a teacher. No real communication from the top down, no quarterly meetings or updates from the CEO(s).

Advice to Senior ManagementDevelop a structured training program for new hires, consider raising your salaries to compete with the rest of the industry

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Project Consultant/Senior Project Consultant

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsYou WILL learn the foundamentals of operational consulting

ConsNot the best place for compensation or steady growth

At USC you can become a true consultant and deliver quality consulting work.

(Former Employee)

ProsThere are many good things about working at USC, here are a few:
    - Travel and the loyalty points - you'll go on great, free vacations
    - Work is challenging without being overall intellectual or theoretical (however, it does require endurance and mental fortitude)
    - Access to the different levels of the organization is easy and happens often
         - You can also access many levels of client organizations, including executives
    - Smart, outgoing, and independent people can thrive in the environment
         - These people typically receive one or two promotions in their first few years
    - The consulting philosophy allows you to work the strategies and in the environments yourself so you'll gain real experience and a working knowledge of the techniques a lot of people merely talk about
    - You quickly gain experience in and around lots of different industries
    - Higher level managers have lots of experience and enjoying sharing insights and stories
    - If you are a member of a good team your work-life balance can be managed
    - If you do good work, extend and refer, you will make more money

Overall: you're going to work hard, you're going to work a lot but you'll also gain vast amounts of experience. You'll get to do some quality consulting work and, often times, actually watch it work (sometimes literally watching your client make more/better stuff).

ConsSome cons of for working at USC:
    - Travel is done Sunday to Friday; this can be for several reasons: location of project, staffing, and sometimes it's just the nature of working in a 24/7 environment
    - Compensation is low, near the bottom of the scale for the industry. It's also unclear how bonuses are calculated. No method of base pay increase outside of getting promoted
    - Little of the consulting or operations staff are outside hires - the firm depends on long careers (15+) at USC to develop senior leadership
    - Moderate to high turnover - you lose key team members and friends
    - Work-life balance is hard to maintain if you're successful - being successful might keep you on the road (Sunday to Friday) for 50 weeks of the year

Overall: the company needs to work on policy updates that help consistently motivate employees to do even better and not rely on the competitive nature and "tough it out" attitude and mentality that seems common among it's employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementCommon themes are surfaced by quality, contributing members of the firm. These are people that have made the current model work but also have ideas to improve it. I hope some of the themes can be addressed and contribute to the firms continued success.

Great, talented, and motivated employees; challenging work.. Nice place to learn and grow.

Project Manager (Current Employee) Kansas City, KS

ProsGreat people who challenge you every day. Great variety of projects: different industries, different locations. Results are the name of the game. The best way I've heard us described was by a Senior Operations Manager who told us that we win "because we get s**t done."

Cons100% travel is fun but can be challenging for some. Must be flexible and adapt quickly. Work / Life Balance is difficult depending on which client / project you are assigned.

Easy to get hired then you find out why...

Senior Project Consultant (Former Employee)

ProsEasy to get hired. Steady paycheck. Accumulate hotel and airline points. This is a review of how it was back in 2005 or so. If you have some interest in operations consulting then you will love it because you can get all of the experience you want in this field. You will get to turn theory into practice.

This is neither a pro nor a con: you will work in a manufacturing environment. This is not the type of consulting in which you work inside nice corporate offices surrounded by white collar workers. This is very much blue collar.

ConsVirtually no training whatsoever. Told to lie about how long you've been working for them. Get thrown to the wolves with no idea what's going on. Very easy to lose credibility with the client because, like I said, you get thrown out there with no idea about what the heck you're supposed to be doing.

Some of the project managers are downright bullies. In-your-face harassment (by your project manager and other higher ups) is common and makes it a very stressful work environment. This company is NOT for the faint of heart. It can be brutal and has to be seen to be believed.

100% travel. Leave Sunday at noon and don't get back until Friday afternoon or night. Needless to say this greatly limits your social life.

Constant pressure to produce or come up with "savings" for clients. Long hours, forget your social life.

Senior Project Consultant (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsLearned how to navigate airports and rack up mileage and hotel points. Met some decent people who worked at the plants and factories we were located. The same people we would have to fire to meet clients "savings" goals. The job required us to cut costs, no matter what.

Made some good friends, (other Senior Project Consultants) who I worked with. Everyone there was pretty sharp. Some of the top Management were good and personable. Never met any of the Executives and other higher ups so can't comment on that.

Did learn some excel and powerpoint presentation skills. But, I could have learned that sitting home, not on the job. We created "operation manuals" which gave a step by step instruction guide for each department in the plant. This was something that our project was specifically geared to. As it turns out, the same operation manual outline was given to other projects as well, just a few tweaks here and there to personalize it to the client. Everything was already set up on excel and powerpoint programs.

Also, learned line balancing and developing programs for effective cost control. Our main goal was to maximize productivity and improve equipment utilization. Although in most cases it was extremely difficult to find any. We conducted a ton of "feasibility" studies. We also designed workflow charts and process flow charts for departments to follow and give them goals to reach or maintain.

ConsFly out Sunday night, sometimes getting at hotel at midnight. Fly back Friday afternoon, getting home late Friday or Friday night. No life outside of work. Very long hours, very little sleep. Absolutely no ability to have a social life.

At one project I had a good experience and at another one where there was a different Manager, not so much. This Management would call my hotel room, way after hours (close to midnight), to ask a question that could have waited until the next day. I felt harassed by this Manager and did not have this at other projects. I worked 5 projects for USC.

I had trouble adjusting to 3rd shift as all of the shifts had to be monitored. One week I would work 1st shift, the next week 3rd shift.

The thing that did me in on this job was becoming burned out on the constant travel, airports and hotels.

Advice to Senior ManagementI think they have a good program and they are respected in the industry. If I could have gotten use to the flying, airports and hotels, I would have probably stayed with them longer. I can't remember ever getting berated in front of others, like someone else said here. Though I did see a couple of others get berated by Management in front of others. That was classless.

Good group of people focused on doing the right thing for the client

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsLow stress, great marketing materials, promotions occur at anytime - not just once a year like some of the larger firms, long tenures for many individuals (20 plus years). Team members are not placed on "day rate" when business slows down.

ConsLong tenures of employees and the focus on growing talent from within versus recruiting the best experienced talent could lead to stagnation. Pay is heavily weighted on quarterly bonuses - very low base rates. This is how folks are kept on during lean times, but I think some investigation by leadership on an increase is warranted.

Advice to Senior ManagementExamine the current pay structures for the consulting market. Continue to stay open and communicate! Overall this place was a fun place to work.

Hostile, abusive, cut throat environment where new guys are cannon fodder.

Project Consultant (Former Employee)

ProsMy experience was all based upon 2006-2007 so hopefully things have improved. The former employee question doesn't allow you to pick that far back, hence it says 2009.

Pros: Once you give up on the company and move on, you can say you were a "consultant."

ConsRead the other reviews, all cons are true. Culture was horrible. No one cares at all about your career. You earn respect by sticking around only to be surrounded by other people who stuck it out despite the verbal abuse, career development negligence, and questionable practices.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you want to be respected in the industry and by your customers, stop publicly berating your own employees and simultaneously treating the client like they are idiots.

Worked for USC Consulting Group? Contribute to the Community!