USE Credit Union

Updated February 2, 2015
3.1

Jim Harris

Transforming The Culture

I have been working at USE Credit Union full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The new leadership team is driving a positive culture ... exciting times ahead for this credit union! I am grateful to be part of this team.

Cons

Change is always difficult. However, the staff seems to be rallying around changes in people and technology.

Continue to seek ways to lead with the heart...you are making a difference, do not lose the small company feel.

Bad Place To Work

I have been working at USE Credit Union full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I don't have a lot of good things to say about this credit union. The top two people on the executive team get paid over $300K (which is absurd for this size of institution) while their friends get paid up to $200K. Everyone else gets paid little while the cost of their benefits gets increasingly shifted onto them. No job security and lots of abusive and discriminatory employment practices.

Cons

There is a lot of turnover in this credit union due to abusive employment practices. Executive team is second rate and doesn't know how to grow the institution profitably. So they churn the staff to reduce salary and benefits costs and shift benefits onto low paid employees. The CEO has retiree health benefits (no one else does) and friends of the CLO do well while everyone else gets paid little. No employee protection from HR since it is a puppet of the executive team, and don't turn 40 or else you'll get laid off. The executive team hand picks the Board so their is little oversight or governance to correct the situation. The CEO is an empty suite while the CLO runs the show for him.

Needs to be a serious shakeup of the executive team and Board of Directors to address fundamental problems with this institution.

USE Credit Union Response

Mar 3, 2015Digital & Social Media Administrator

We review and appreciate feedback regarding USE Credit Union, and are committed to making sure we actively listen to all opinions. Individual input is essential in supporting a positive and ethical ... More

Great company

I worked at USE Credit Union full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great perks
    Employee focused
    Good company structure and goals

Cons

Office culture varies depending on branch location
    Must live in San Diego for true growth potential in company

Management stifles growth of employees that show potential

Former Employee - Operations Supervisor in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Operations Supervisor in San Diego, CA

I worked at USE Credit Union full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great colleagues in the branch network, solid benefits and opportunities to make incentives

Cons

No support structures, unrealistic expectations

Managers should be trained to champion their employees- not feel threatened by them.

Great People, New Culture, New Direction - Great Place To Be!!!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I have been working at USE Credit Union full-time (less than a year)

Pros

USE is an organization that cares for and invests in their people and it is a fun place to work! There is a small "start-up" feel but with the solid support of a financial institution. In addition, there has been a major transformation in the culture and the mindset of the leadership - all for the positive!! Leadership has learned from the past and not just changing the culture, but also enhancing the technology they provide to staff and members. If you are looking for a place to meet great people, to be challenged, to grow and have fun this is a great place to be!! They just don't hire for skills and knowledge, but most importantly for cultural fit.

Cons

Not really a con but an observation - Change is hard and challenging the organization will continued to be stretched in the areas of culture and technology change, but all for the better!

First off thank you for your continued support and investment in the employees and their future! Continue to listen and invest in staff and what makes USE a great place to work!!!

Great Mom and Pop Credit Union with potential to grow

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I have been working at USE Credit Union full-time (more than a year)

Pros

I started here in 2013, waaayyy after the previous management that took this Credit Union for granted were 86'd! So with that said, things are on the up and up around here. Yes, its a small credit union, but thats how credit unions should be, as suppose to "BIG BANKING"! My previous experience at a local, much LARGER Credit Union, tells me I made the right choice. From my first day at work, I truly felt that this Credit Union cares about work life balance and it shows through their management style and yearly bonus's (something that my previous credit union didn't emphasize). Our yearly kick off meetings are great, this year, they treated the whole company to a celebration at our admin office, that was catered with 4 food trucks, ice cream parlor catered by baskin robins, and a mobile nail and massage truck. That was great gesture from management. Also, the CEO Jim Harris along with the other management team are great. Very personable, you don't feel intimidated at all. I'm glad I made the choice to work for USE Credit Union.

Cons

The only cons is the legacy core system. But I'm sure that can be addressed! Outside of that, everything is great!

Thanks for recognizing our efforts and rewarding us for our hard work. A handshake and hello goes along way, thank you for the opportunity to be a part of this organization!

Don't invest in development of their employees

Former Employee - Senior Loan Officer/Finance Officer in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Loan Officer/Finance Officer in San Diego, CA

I worked at USE Credit Union full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Worked with some great people, and managers.

Cons

The organization was very unorganized, no structure, no true leader to follow. Promote people that have no experience, background or education in management positions. Company treat people unfairly.

Don't waste your time

I have been working at USE Credit Union full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Staff keep this place running

Cons

No direction no future

Listen

Good company, great people, difficult economic times

Former Employee - Compliance Officer in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Compliance Officer in San Diego, CA

I worked at USE Credit Union

Pros

Management is open to change and keeping competitive in its products and services. The credit union stayed connected to the communities it served.

Cons

It is unfortunate that there is no job security regardless of the number of years of employment with the company.

More cliques than in high school.

Former Employee - Mid-Level Management in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Mid-Level Management in San Diego, CA

I worked at USE Credit Union

Pros

Compensation is good, but don't expect it to last longer than three years. Benefits are good, better than average. They need to be to attract people. Have a big headhunter's bonus for most mid-level managers (this speaks for itself). If you get in with the right group of people, you'll do just fine.

Cons

Favoritism is pretty rampant. Out and out department warfare is pretty common. Promotion not based on credentials or experience. This organization is built upon cliques.

More transparency is essential to the development of this organization. Most people who work for the organization are committed to the company and will help in its success if allowed.