USE Credit Union

Updated October 3, 2014
3.4

Jim Harris

Transforming The Culture

I have been working at USE Credit Union full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The new leadership team is driving a positive culture ... exciting times ahead for this credit union! I am grateful to be part of this team.

Cons

Change is always difficult. However, the staff seems to be rallying around changes in people and technology.

Continue to seek ways to lead with the heart...you are making a difference, do not lose the small company feel.

Management stifles growth of employees that show potential

Former Employee - Operations Supervisor in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Operations Supervisor in San Diego, CA

I worked at USE Credit Union full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great colleagues in the branch network, solid benefits and opportunities to make incentives

Cons

No support structures, unrealistic expectations

Managers should be trained to champion their employees- not feel threatened by them.

Great company

I worked at USE Credit Union full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great perks
    Employee focused
    Good company structure and goals

Cons

Office culture varies depending on branch location
    Must live in San Diego for true growth potential in company

Great People, New Culture, New Direction - Great Place To Be!!!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I have been working at USE Credit Union full-time (less than an year)

Pros

USE is an organization that cares for and invests in their people and it is a fun place to work! There is a small "start-up" feel but with the solid support of a financial institution. In addition, there has been a major transformation in the culture and the mindset of the leadership - all for the positive!! Leadership has learned from the past and not just changing the culture, but also enhancing the technology they provide to staff and members. If you are looking for a place to meet great people, to be challenged, to grow and have fun this is a great place to be!! They just don't hire for skills and knowledge, but most importantly for cultural fit.

Cons

Not really a con but an observation - Change is hard and challenging the organization will continued to be stretched in the areas of culture and technology change, but all for the better!

First off thank you for your continued support and investment in the employees and their future! Continue to listen and invest in staff and what makes USE a great place to work!!!

Great Mom and Pop Credit Union with potential to grow

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I have been working at USE Credit Union full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I started here in 2013, waaayyy after the previous management that took this Credit Union for granted were 86'd! So with that said, things are on the up and up around here. Yes, its a small credit union, but thats how credit unions should be, as suppose to "BIG BANKING"! My previous experience at a local, much LARGER Credit Union, tells me I made the right choice. From my first day at work, I truly felt that this Credit Union cares about work life balance and it shows through their management style and yearly bonus's (something that my previous credit union didn't emphasize). Our yearly kick off meetings are great, this year, they treated the whole company to a celebration at our admin office, that was catered with 4 food trucks, ice cream parlor catered by baskin robins, and a mobile nail and massage truck. That was great gesture from management. Also, the CEO Jim Harris along with the other management team are great. Very personable, you don't feel intimidated at all. I'm glad I made the choice to work for USE Credit Union.

Cons

The only cons is the legacy core system. But I'm sure that can be addressed! Outside of that, everything is great!

Thanks for recognizing our efforts and rewarding us for our hard work. A handshake and hello goes along way, thank you for the opportunity to be a part of this organization!

Don't invest in development of their employees

Former Employee - Senior Loan Officer/Finance Officer in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Loan Officer/Finance Officer in San Diego, CA

I worked at USE Credit Union full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Worked with some great people, and managers.

Cons

The organization was very unorganized, no structure, no true leader to follow. Promote people that have no experience, background or education in management positions. Company treat people unfairly.

Don't waste your time

I have been working at USE Credit Union full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Staff keep this place running

Cons

No direction no future

Listen

Good company, great people, difficult economic times

Former Employee - Compliance Officer in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Compliance Officer in San Diego, CA

I worked at USE Credit Union

Pros

Management is open to change and keeping competitive in its products and services. The credit union stayed connected to the communities it served.

Cons

It is unfortunate that there is no job security regardless of the number of years of employment with the company.

More cliques than in high school.

Former Employee - Mid-Level Management in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Mid-Level Management in San Diego, CA

I worked at USE Credit Union

Pros

Compensation is good, but don't expect it to last longer than three years. Benefits are good, better than average. They need to be to attract people. Have a big headhunter's bonus for most mid-level managers (this speaks for itself). If you get in with the right group of people, you'll do just fine.

Cons

Favoritism is pretty rampant. Out and out department warfare is pretty common. Promotion not based on credentials or experience. This organization is built upon cliques.

More transparency is essential to the development of this organization. Most people who work for the organization are committed to the company and will help in its success if allowed.

Senior Leadership is very, very weak

I have been working at USE Credit Union full-time

Pros

You get paid every 2 weeks and the benefits are competitive.

Cons

Recent senior leadership changes have desimated the organization. The CLO is calling all the shots and the CEO is just keeping the chair warm, HR is just a puppet for cleaning CLO's messes. As long as you are on the CLO's good side you are safe - get on his bad side and he will get you out of the organization as fast as he can.

The Board of Directors need to look into the many, many recent high level management changes - there is a definite pattern.