USG

USG Reviews

Updated Jul 8, 2014

USG CEO James S. Metcalf

James S. Metcalf

Pros
  • Excellent work life balance (if you are in the right department)(in 8 reviews)

• The people you work with are good people(in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • company's success is tied to the housing market(in 5 reviews)

• The on going depression characteristics of the building materials business has resulted in constant layoffs with many good people terminated(in 3 reviews)

Everyone wants to play on a winning team

Systems Designer II (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsThey treat employees well.
    When the economy is good and goals are met, employees are rewarded.
    Employees are great to work with.

ConsSometimes when there is an urgent need to fill a role, they hire contractors and/or employees that don't meet expectations.

Advice to Senior ManagementHave higher standards for candidates during the interview process.

IT Lead - Oracle Database Administrator

IT Lead - Oracle Database Administrator (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsGood place if you are planning to retire in less than five years.
    You can be invisible and avoid work if you keep your mouth shut during meetings.
    War rooms are management staff having free lunch and surfing the internet.
    Able to negotiate salary and 3-4 weeks PTO if you are coming from consulting.

ConsCompany income based on only a few products.
    Directors or above are robbing the company.
    Traditional sweat shop concept.
    Management is a joke.
    Preferred hiring outside contractors and no internal promotions unless you have connections.
    No merit increase for a few years
    Only lower level employees doing all the work.
    Dead end career path.
    Try to run IT as a business but ending up as a joke because of management failure.
    Other departments refused to work with IT because IT is always over promised and under delivered. Plus most staff is clueless of what they are doing because of high turnover rate.
    Benefits are going downhill.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work (#sarcastic). Enjoy while you can.

More about bosses, less about employees

Area Credit Manager (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsGood benefits. Reasonable pay. Nice offices

ConsManagers are more concerned about their own jobs and looking politically correct, than about doing the right thing. There is little support for employees. They are going thru huge changes as they try to "outsource" everything. I would advise waiting a few years before working for this organization. Hopefully they will soon realize their mistakes and go back to basics were hard work is acknowledged and rewarded. They need to get rid of the mid-level managers that, as I said above, are more concerned with being politically correct as opposed to doing the correct thing.

Advice to Senior ManagementRead the message above

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

This is a company that has been stable and growing.

Property Management (Current Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsThey don't throw out the baby with the bath water (so to speak). In other words, if a person doesn't work out in one position they will give them a chance in another provided that person shows the desire to work it out.

ConsCommunication is one the biggest problems. Communication between corporate to corporate, field to field and corporate to field. This area needs a lot of work. Reviews are not done and raises are far and few between.

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunication should be better, reviews should be done on a regular basis and raises should be given on a minimum of an annual basis when the employee has shown to be valuable with a strong work ether, team player and produces time after time.

Sales Rep

Sales Representative (Current Employee) Baltimore, MD

ProsGreat company to foster leadership skills.

ConsCompensation growth is sluggish despite being a top performer.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider giving more in compensation to outstanding employees.

VERY DECENT EXPERIENCE

Retail Sales (Former Employee) Houston, TX

ProsVery Supportive Manager
    Good Learning Experience
    Good Benefits
    Company takes great care of you
    Possibility for advancement is there if you are willing to work hard and wait
    Best job I ever had

ConsMy positive experience is a result of not only the work that I did there but also because of the manager I worked for. He was very fair, supportive and positive. But it was my understanding that some managers in other parts of the country were very difficult to work for.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt is my understanding that my former manager has recently been promoted and I think he is now in charge of USGs biggest retail national account. My advice to management is that you should try to follow his management style, you will create a more positive atmosphere and will get better results from your retail sales team.

Great Place

Electrician (Current Employee) Mediapolis, IA

ProsFriendly People, Great Hours and good enviroment

ConsDisorganized, out of touch with technology

Advice to Senior ManagementTake some chances

Great place to work with welcoming people and opportunity.

Strategic Sourcing Analyst (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

Pros-Open door policy
    -Companies value their employees
    -Can buy/sell 1 week of vacation every year
    -Great training opportunities
    -Mature company

Cons-Building market can be volatile which affects job security
    -Can be difficult to move up at times (depending on department)

Advice to Senior Management-Keep listening to the wants of the workers

great company trying to get through the economy

Prosgood people to work with

Constrying to push too many engineers into management too soon.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen

In my limited time with the company, I can honestly say I am glad I choose USG to begin my career.

Engineering (Current Employee)

ProsGood company for growth.
    Safety is most important.
    Quarterly Bonuses.
    Friendly Coworkers.
    Recently Rebranded itself to excel.
    Feeds you quite well.

ConsMatching Policy isn't very good, only 10 cents on the dollar.
    Not really diverse for engineering positions and up.
    Can't compete with Oil and Gas Salaries, but decent.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry to become more diverse when hiring. All in all the company is going in the right direction.

Worked for USG? Contribute to the Community!