USG

USG Reviews

Updated Jul 8, 2014

USG CEO James S. Metcalf

James S. Metcalf

Pros
  • Excellent work life balance (if you are in the right department)(in 8 reviews)

• The people you work with are good people(in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • company's success is tied to the housing market(in 5 reviews)

• The on going depression characteristics of the building materials business has resulted in constant layoffs with many good people terminated(in 3 reviews)

Company has forgotten the people who stuck with them.

Maintenance Foreman (Former Employee)

ProsThere are a lot of good hardworking people within the company.

ConsDownsizing through the years has prevented people from being able to advance. People who stuck with them through the tough times by taking on more work and not getting raises have not been appreciated.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't continue to count on employees sticking around and doing two or three peoples
    who got laid off jobs. As jobs become available employees you take for granted will seek other employment. I worked with USG for over 15 years and being treated like that made me leave.

More about bosses, less about employees

Area Credit Manager (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsGood benefits. Reasonable pay. Nice offices

ConsManagers are more concerned about their own jobs and looking politically correct, than about doing the right thing. There is little support for employees. They are going thru huge changes as they try to "outsource" everything. I would advise waiting a few years before working for this organization. Hopefully they will soon realize their mistakes and go back to basics were hard work is acknowledged and rewarded. They need to get rid of the mid-level managers that, as I said above, are more concerned with being politically correct as opposed to doing the correct thing.

Advice to Senior ManagementRead the message above

Has been for in survival mode for too long

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsMarket leader, work-life balance, compensation and benefits

ConsLack of career growth and personal development. Lack of performance management and accountability.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop waiting for the market to improve. Instead, tackle the core issues.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Only work here when housing is good!

Senior Developer (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsWhen the market is good, the bonuses are good. As you can imagine, this company is leveraged to the housing market. This means that when times are good, housing is good, and this company will make a ton of money. As is with most companies, this means that morale will be high and folks will advance within the company as it expands.

Another benefit is this company has great benefits. 401K and pension ... which is rare to find today. They reward folks for being here a number of years, as I have meet several that have been with the company over 30+ years.

ConsWhen the market is bad, bonuses are bad, morale is in the toilet, constant layoffs, and they work you to the bone. A simple Google search will show you that the company has had five layoffs within the past 10 years. During these layoffs management will typically cull away the bottom performers in the first round and then make political reductions in subsequent rounds. If you are not in the "inner circle" then you can forget about your job. Within the IT Dept they have had three CIO's over the past 10 years. And none of them have been an acting CIO from another organization.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou have several departments that conduct layoffs based solely on political strategy rather than performance to the organization. Wise up!

A great place to work and build a successful career, grow, be well compensated, safe, and become part of a family.

Sales/Marketing (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsIntegrity, Opportunity, Safety, Good compensation, Family oriented, Challenging, Rewards creativity, Great location opportunities, Education support, Family Support, Fun

ConsCyclical industry, frequency of relocation, little access to Senior Management

Advice to Senior ManagementOpen doors and be more visible. Having worked at corporate for over a year I have yet to be introduced to the majority of the people on the 18th floor.

Good work-life balance, but not a place to grow your career.

Systems Analyst (Former Employee)

ProsVery flexible work schedule and good work-life balance. Comfortable, low stress work environment that can make the workplace enjoyable.

ConsIt is an old company where things tend to move very slowly. There is very limited opportunity for merit based career progression. If you have worked there long enough, you will get the promotion and title over someone that is more deserving. You can easily assume a role that is low stress and remain in it for years.

Advice to Senior ManagementOnce the economy recovers, they will need to reinvigorate the organization with an infusion of new, forward-thinking leadership.

Been here over a year, good money, not much time off.

Factory (Current Employee) Gypsum, OH

ProsThe pay is GREAT! Benefits are great! Two weeks vacation after a year (if you take advantage of buying a week as offered). Talk of going to 4 shifts that would swing, 12 hour shifts, 3 days on/4 days off then 4 days on/ 3 days off. Would then have every other weekend off! Would work half a year. Schedule set for a year ahead of time.

ConsNo weekends off. Sometimes work 11-17 days straight (with a day off here and there). Tough on family life.

Advice to Senior ManagementGo to the 4 shifts swing. The set schedules would be a HUGE moral builder with employees!!!

This is a company that has been stable and growing.

Property Management (Current Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsThey don't throw out the baby with the bath water (so to speak). In other words, if a person doesn't work out in one position they will give them a chance in another provided that person shows the desire to work it out.

ConsCommunication is one the biggest problems. Communication between corporate to corporate, field to field and corporate to field. This area needs a lot of work. Reviews are not done and raises are far and few between.

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunication should be better, reviews should be done on a regular basis and raises should be given on a minimum of an annual basis when the employee has shown to be valuable with a strong work ether, team player and produces time after time.

Sales Rep

Sales Representative (Current Employee) Baltimore, MD

ProsGreat company to foster leadership skills.

ConsCompensation growth is sluggish despite being a top performer.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider giving more in compensation to outstanding employees.

A life long learning experience and an adaptable buisiness entity.

Maint Tech (Current Employee) Gypsum, OH

ProsSteady Work, and A good Safety Culture

ConsLower than average in career advancement

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more attentive of in house talent and its value to the organization.

Worked for USG? Contribute to the Community!