USG

USG Reviews

Updated Jul 8, 2014

USG CEO James S. Metcalf

James S. Metcalf

Pros
  • Excellent work life balance (if you are in the right department)(in 8 reviews)

• The people you work with are good people(in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • company's success is tied to the housing market(in 5 reviews)

• The on going depression characteristics of the building materials business has resulted in constant layoffs with many good people terminated(in 3 reviews)

godd company

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prosthey offer great on the job training

ConsTo much red tape. Management to centralized

Advice to Senior ManagementGreat company in difficult environment. Keep investing in people, technology, and innovative products. Continue to lead the market with pricing and quality.

Good place to work

Vice President Operations (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsSalary, benefits, highest Quality products,

ConsCyclic nature of business makes job security risky

Advice to Senior ManagementGood job in removing leadership with questionable integrity

A decent company to work for.

Human Resources Manager (Current Employee)

ProsA very safety concious company that is a leader in thier industry both with thier products and manufacturing safety. A very comfortable place to work.

ConsWork never seems to end and with the current economy you end up doing much more with much less. You cannot get away from work.

Advice to Senior ManagementUpper management thinks they communicate well but they don't. Most of the upper management came up through the plants but they've been in the corporate environment for so long they forget that the plants are what make the company.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Underwriting Assistant Job review

Underwriting Assistant (Former Employee)

ProsFriendly and Helpful Co-workers
    Great Benefits

ConsGrowth and advancing to next level takes some time.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone.

Great place to work if you don't require market value salary.

Technical Analyst (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsThe environment is a great place to work, very laid back. From a technical perspective it's an open playground to mature your skills.

ConsThe company refuses to pay market value for some of the highly technical positions. Some of the technical positions they don't even recognize because it doesn't fit thier organizational charts.

Advice to Senior ManagementImprove your hiring practice. Create a new employee retention program to keep your skilled individuals in-house long-term.

USG is a great place to work when work is available.

Department Manager (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsTypically promote from within and provide opportunities for advancement openly. Market leader in sales and product development. Non-union environment and management working to ensure fairness for all employees.

ConsBusiness cycles create frequent layoff situations.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlan further ahead. MIned gypsum operations on the east coast need to be reviewed in detail to ensure that they are cost effective.

USG is a good place to work.

Paralegal (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsThere are many career opportunities and advancement possibilities. Flexibility in work hours and schedule.

ConsConstruction market is bad right now so there have been several rounds of layoffs.

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunicate more freely when it comes to changes in the company.

Great US manufacturing company,

Analyst (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsI was satisfied with USG because the culture was laid back and the potential to move from one functional area to another was great from a development stand point. I always felt like I was treated fairly and management runs a company you can be proud of.

ConsThe downside to working for USG was that it's business is getting hammered by the weak housing market. Management made the right moves to reduce costs in the new environment, but that led to reduced career opportunities for up and comers. I decided to leave instead of waiting in the doldrums.

Advice to Senior ManagementDear Senior Management, please give your young professionals more leadership opportunites or more clearly define career development From our view, USG is top heavy with people in the 20+ year range. There will come a day when all of your currnet leaders will need to retire and you will not have a pool of successful candidates, who know the business well, to fill the retirees' spots.

Great environment, if you can handle a little uncertainty

Logistics Services Manager (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsLow stress environment at the corporate office, commitment to diversity, great coworkers, generous tuition reimbursement, ability to move to different departments or locations to advance your career as opportunities come up

Consshaky industry, poor raises in unprofitable years

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep investing in talent during the downturn

USG worth a look

Retired, Contractor (Current Employee) McLean, VA

ProsJob security, mission oriented, benefits are better than the private sector, can take early retirement and pursue a second career. I know the government takes a hard rap at times and has a reputation as being mediocre in the way employees respond, but having worked both in government and private sector, I can say I am impressed overall with the professionalism of the government worker that works in the area of homeland security.

Consbureacracy, salary is a little lower than in the private sector, but offset by retirement benefits.

Advice to Senior Managementnot sure.

Worked for USG? Contribute to the Community!