USG

USG Reviews

Updated Jul 8, 2014

USG CEO James S. Metcalf

James S. Metcalf

Pros
  • Excellent work life balance (if you are in the right department)(in 8 reviews)

• The people you work with are good people(in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • company's success is tied to the housing market(in 5 reviews)

• The on going depression characteristics of the building materials business has resulted in constant layoffs with many good people terminated(in 3 reviews)

Great people, so-so environment

(Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsThe people and networking experiences made USG Corp great. If you put yourself out there, managers, directors, VP's, etc. are available to meet and discuss career goals, direction....even if you don't work in that department or business unit. When the housing market rebounds, USG environment should improve.

ConsMany layoffs and minimal (one) merit increases during the downturn. USG has a new strategy and the attitude of Sr. Mgmt is, "get on board or get out." Subsequently, individuals are hesistant to give an opinion or their thoughts on the new ideas. I believe HR is often inept and doesn't always have the back of the employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhen business picks up for USG, reward the employees that stuck around. Get back to promoting from within and giving training opportunities for employees to move around.

Good opportunities to move around, but not sure where they are headed

ProsGreat people to work with at many levels

ConsStrategically lacking a sense of direction

Good company but perhaps wait until the housing industy improves

Manager (Current Employee)

ProsUSG is a good company with strong emphasis on building relationships among customers and employees. While the job often requires long or unusual hours, there is a strong belief in life balance. It is a great company for training and when the economy there will be ample opportunities for advancement.

ConsThe current economy makes advancement and employment, especially for those not in an engineering field can be risky. Must be willing to relocate to receive advancement within the manufacturing management positions.

Advice to Senior ManagementStay the course but never forget the values of your people are your best assets.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good place to work

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Proswork life balance is good, opportunity to advance early in career is great, pay good in middle US and South, but behind scale in NE and Calif, good people to work with

Conslots of relocation to advance, corporate can be detached from field

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to focus on streamlining all areas of organization, not just the field operations

Fair company to work for with old school values.

ProsPension & 401K. Good healthcare insurance. Dedication to keeping its workers safe and free from injury.

Conslots of paperwork that could be done electronically.

Advice to Senior ManagementReduce paperwork.
    Utilize retiring work force by having them pass their knowledge and skills to new workers.

Great Vision minded executive Staff have a great plan to win through these tough times.

Engineering (Current Employee)

ProsThere are more communications than ever before from the executive committee which definitely helps motivate employees. Lately our teams plan to win has created our own company recession recovery which has motivated all employees from senior executives to the operator level. We have seen our first pay raise in some time as promised and looking forward to the future with great faith in our executive leaders.

ConsSome USG location seem slow to adapt to new technology but getting better.
    Still have unrealistic deadlines to meet which stunt project growth due to manpower shortages.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue the communications and try to speed up the adaptation of new technologies at all plants.

USG vs. L&W Supply

Manager (Former Employee) Los Angeles, CA

ProsHaving worked for both, USG was the prime example of a company that supported it's employees with continued education, advancement opportunity and professionalism exhibited by the worker bees and most of the management. The culture was very people oriented

ConsL&W Supply, proved to be the opposite of USG in terms of employee professionalism, particularly that exhibited by some of the management. Individual initiative nor continued education were never seen as positive attributes or goals. Little to no advancement opportunity regardless of what was offered when you are hired. The L&W culture is they come first, your family comes second.

Advice to Senior ManagementUSG- Keep up the good work.
    L&W-If your staff was more professional(from the sales people to the forklift driver), maybe your customers would respect you more and your sales would increase.

The work environment at times although constantly changing can be personally stagnant.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsCo wokers, benefits, flexibility in work schedule

ConsNever enough time or resources to carry out plans

It was a fun experience even with us being bought out.

Accounting Manager (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsGreat co-workers who turned out to be friends.
    Relaxed atmosphere, we could always have fun even in a stressful environment.

ConsWe were working a lot of Saturdays in a row.
    Hours were being cut back.
    Threat of layoffs led to scared workers.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry to bring back some of the fun that was there before.
    Happier staff leads to better work and less turnover, I believe.

Outgrew USG

Plant Manager (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsUSG has a tradition of high integrity, respect in the market, and workplace safety. There is enough diversity in plant locations and operations that an employee willing to relocate can get experience in a variety of situations. Most USG managers are eager to help employees improve their skills whether through internal training or tuition reimbursement programs. For plant operations folks, the non-union environment makes for a less stressful workplace. Perhaps the best reason to work at USG for those early in their careers is when the building materials business eventually turns around, and it will, there will be promotion opportunities galore.

ConsA characteristic of USG that is a double edged sword is the authority they give the Plant Managers. How that authority is exercised often determines the quality of worklife at a plant. A really good plant manager usually means a great place to work. And the opposite is true, unfortunately. Plants truly are a reflection of that Plant Manager's personality and management style.

Another problem on the sales side is how sales executives clone themselves through promotions. Perhaps the recession caused a reality check, but it was almost required to have great hair and/or low-handicap golf score to rise in the sales ranks. They building products business is a relationship game and too often sales managers cut deals with big customers without their local sales rep ever finding out until told by the customer. Sales reps at USG have the toughest jobs, no question about it. They put up with more nonsense than you can believe.

USG was very slow to adopt modern information technology compared to other Fortune 500 corporations. Individuals drove the change and the corporation had to catch up. Management has a history of being conservative and that conservatism drove many innovative people away.

Advice to Senior ManagementUSG needs to adopt the practice of having employees 're-interview' for their jobs after they've been in them for a while. What happens is the business changes, the person changes, and not always is the change parallel. There are lots of people at USG who are economic hostages, taking up space because they are so enmeshed in the safety net they cannot free themselves to seek a career change that is really a better fit for them and the company. For those employees in management/technical roles who've been with USG for 20+ years and are career plateaued, invest in a win-win process to find something invigorating for them. That new job may not necessarily be with USG.

Worked for USG? Contribute to the Community!