USG

Updated November 19, 2014
3.4

USG CEO James S. Metcalf
James S. Metcalf

Pros
  • Excellent work life balance (if you are in the right department) (in 9 reviews)

• The people you work with are good people (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • company's success is tied to the housing market (in 5 reviews)

• Work life balance has steadily deteriorated (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Good place to work

I worked at USG full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

work life balance is good, opportunity to advance early in career is great, pay good in middle US and South, but behind scale in NE and Calif, good people to work with

Cons

lots of relocation to advance, corporate can be detached from field

Need to focus on streamlining all areas of organization, not just the field operations

USG vs. L&W Supply

Former Employee - Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at USG full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Having worked for both, USG was the prime example of a company that supported it's employees with continued education, advancement opportunity and professionalism exhibited by the worker bees and most of the management. The culture was very people oriented

Cons

L&W Supply, proved to be the opposite of USG in terms of employee professionalism, particularly that exhibited by some of the management. Individual initiative nor continued education were never seen as positive attributes or goals. Little to no advancement opportunity regardless of what was offered when you are hired. The L&W culture is they come first, your family comes second.

USG- Keep up the good work.
    L&W-If your staff was more professional(from the sales people to the forklift driver), maybe your customers would respect you more and your sales would increase.

The work environment at times although constantly changing can be personally stagnant.

I have been working at USG

Pros

Co wokers, benefits, flexibility in work schedule

Cons

Never enough time or resources to carry out plans

It was a fun experience even with us being bought out.

Former Employee - Accounting Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Accounting Manager in San Francisco, CA

I worked at USG

Pros

Great co-workers who turned out to be friends.
    Relaxed atmosphere, we could always have fun even in a stressful environment.

Cons

We were working a lot of Saturdays in a row.
    Hours were being cut back.
    Threat of layoffs led to scared workers.

Try to bring back some of the fun that was there before.
    Happier staff leads to better work and less turnover, I believe.

Outgrew USG

Former Employee - Plant Manager in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Plant Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at USG

Pros

USG has a tradition of high integrity, respect in the market, and workplace safety. There is enough diversity in plant locations and operations that an employee willing to relocate can get experience in a variety of situations. Most USG managers are eager to help employees improve their skills whether through internal training or tuition reimbursement programs. For plant operations folks, the non-union environment makes for a less stressful workplace. Perhaps the best reason to work at USG for those early in their careers is when the building materials business eventually turns around, and it will, there will be promotion opportunities galore.

Cons

A characteristic of USG that is a double edged sword is the authority they give the Plant Managers. How that authority is exercised often determines the quality of worklife at a plant. A really good plant manager usually means a great place to work. And the opposite is true, unfortunately. Plants truly are a reflection of that Plant Manager's personality and management style.

Another problem on the sales side is how sales executives clone themselves through promotions. Perhaps the recession caused a reality check, but it was almost required to have great hair and/or low-handicap golf score to rise in the sales ranks. They building products business is a relationship game and too often sales managers cut deals with big customers without their local sales rep ever finding out until told by the customer. Sales reps at USG have the toughest jobs, no question about it. They put up with more nonsense than you can believe.

USG was very slow to adopt modern information technology compared to other Fortune 500 corporations. Individuals drove the change and the corporation had to catch up. Management has a history of being conservative and that conservatism drove many innovative people away.

USG needs to adopt the practice of having employees 're-interview' for their jobs after they've been in them for a while. What happens is the business changes, the person changes, and not always is the change parallel. There are lots of people at USG who are economic hostages, taking up space because they are so enmeshed in the safety net they cannot free themselves to seek a career change that is really a better fit for them and the company. For those employees in management/technical roles who've been with USG for 20+ years and are career plateaued, invest in a win-win process to find something invigorating for them. That new job may not necessarily be with USG.

Excellent office space and work environment, hit or miss management

Former Employee - Supply Planner in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Supply Planner in Chicago, IL

I worked at USG

Pros

Really nice office building. clean, comfortable, and contemporary work environment and work spaces. More than enough meeting rooms from large to small. Tons of natural light from full floor to ceiling windows. My first manager was excellent; he cared about my professional development and career, as well as my person life and well being.

Cons

Some managers are much better than others. When I was laid off I was working for a manger that although micro managed, did not understand our teams day to day activities or how they impact the company. My manager also didn't want us thinking outside the confinements of the department.

Allow the workforce to critique their managers. Give opportunities outside of the employees direct area of work, especially if interest is shown.

USG used to be a GREAT place to work.

I have been working at USG

Pros

Great people work here
    Company provides a lot of opportunites for laterial moves

Cons

Middle Management in position because of years of service not quality of work
    no real advancement opportunities
    several workforce reductions and no Manager, ever seem to get cut, too much work for lower level employees.
    salary freeze since 2008
    Sr. level managers keep getting longer titles and promotions

Provide career paths
    Do something about middle management
    provide at minimum cost of living increases

Stuck

I have been working at USG

Pros

Outststanding people. Great work-life balance. Perfect location & office environment. Highest level of integrity.

Cons

Waiting for housing market rebound. Career and comp on hold. People are pension locked and just waiting for retirement.

Don't wait for the market. Get serious about change. This is the new normal!

I liked working there

Current Employee - Material Handler in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Material Handler in Chicago, IL

I have been working at USG

Pros

Solid management who cared about employees
    Great location in downtown Chicago

Cons

Overbuilding causing negative outlook and layoffs
    Some of the work was repetitive
    Things could get boring sometimes

I think,despite having been laid off, that management has the right strategy to weather the economic outlook. I look forward to possibly being hired back someday.

Eh...

Current Employee - Accountant in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Accountant in Chicago, IL

I have been working at USG

Pros

- Excellent people with many years of experience
     - Everyone is willing to help/friendly environemtn
     - Pension plan

Cons

- promotions are based on favoritism rather than actual performance.
     - HR DOES NOT act as YOUR advocate
     - huge difference in pay between managers and regular employees
     - most managers have their jobs only because of who they know and how long they have been
       employed.
     - low pay

- terrible communication and tone from the top coming from the senior management team
     - many efforts are duplicated within the company
     - work force reductions have demoralized the company

USG Photos

USG workers at the East Chicago manufacturing plant.
L&W Supply branch locations efficiently stock and deliver building materials nationwide.
CEO Jim Metcalf chats with a USG employee.

+ Add Photo