USIC

Updated December 14, 2014
Updated December 14, 2014
2.1

Mike Stayton

Pros
  • You get a company vehicle to drive home and they cover fuel and all maintenance (in 14 reviews)

• I would say company truck but you can only use it for work purposes now (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • High turnover rate, change in ownership/leadership/management (in 5 reviews)

• Expect to get no help to manage your area because management refuses to staff areas properly (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Decent

I worked at USIC

Pros

Fast paced and challenging at times

Cons

Nothing that can be shared publicly.

None

Area Supervisor

Current Employee - Area Supervisor
    Current Employee - Area Supervisor

I have been working at USIC full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Company supplies equipment and fuel, able to take work truck home. Great place to work if you are are looking to advance or build a resume in the construction and utility locating field. You are a important part of managing the successful marking of underground facilities. No cubicle, all outside work.

Cons

No real work life balance. on call 24/7, high stress environment with marking critical utilities. Employees not paid properly for work performed.

Take advice of lower managers that are in the field more seriously.

Terrific job with great benefits...except.......

I worked at USIC full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Working outdoors was a welcome relief from other jobs. Company provided vehicle and gas kept personal expenses down. Supervisors were helpful with unusual locating situations, I enjoyed working under the "Safety First" culture

Cons

NO work/life balance. Constant manpower shortages made job difficult to perform safely, Too many hazards to name and still remain safe. I would gladly enjoy seasonal layoff to know that during peak dig season, the crew had more then enough staff to address all dig sites properly and make it home before midnight.

Hire more personnel to provide adequate coverage and provide for safer locate environment during dig seasons. Allow workers with more than two dig seasons under their belts to have opportunities to act as supervisors, to help with career development and constant inflow of new technicians. Make staffing adjustments and i would consider working for USIC in the future.

Utility locator

I worked at USIC

Pros

Work truck, phone, computer not supervisors looking over your back

Cons

No work life balance, they pile on the hours. Crap equipment no help from management

Merger Mistakes

I worked at USIC full-time (more than an year)

Pros

At the time, the company had a very laid back work environment, i.e., casual dress, accommodating workspace, etc.

Cons

High turnover rate, change in ownership/leadership/management. Very demanding, departments were understaffed.

All departments need to communicate better.

Company is trying unsuccessfully to stand in the gap

Current Employee - Utility Locate Technician in Deerfield, IL
    Current Employee - Utility Locate Technician in Deerfield, IL

I have been working at USIC full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The type of work these people do is actually very important, and it can be satisfying and rewarding.

Cons

But these people are replacing people that had high paying jobs at the utility companies, like ATT, Comed, Nicor, etc, for half the pay and twice the workload. Literally, we are doing the work that two or three people did for 25 dollars an hour, but for 14 dollars instead. It is a recipe for disaster.

I'm afraid that no advice is going to help you, because there just aren't enough resources to get the job done.

Make Sure To Read The Reviews About This Employer

Current Employee - Utility Locate Technician
    Current Employee - Utility Locate Technician

I have been working at USIC full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Besides the company truck and paid fuel. There are not pro's here

Cons

Underpaid, poor management, overworked, unreal expectations about work load, no help when overloaded with work, on-call for a week at a time, no life, management believes you work for them when they say and for how long they say, you are not allowed to have a personal life no matter what the employment add say.

Treat your employees like the people who make your business run. Not just numbers on a time card.

USUC

Former Employee - Slave
    Former Employee - Slave

I worked at USIC full-time (less than an year)

Pros

nothing was a pro at this terrible job

Cons

everything. working alongside special people everyday. all the supervisors are lazy and sit at home. nobody offers help. overworked for crappy pay. company vehicle was from the 1920's and everything would break. no powerwindows, cruise control, etc. company equipment was junk and given minimal supplies to perform the job to the best of your ability. prints were absolutely worthless. may as well delete them from the computer and just look for phone pedestals in corn fields. i'd rather be homeless then work for this crappy company again.

Not a good place to work

Current Employee - Locate Technician in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Locate Technician in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at USIC full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Company Car. Working on your own

Cons

Poor training, difficult supervisors, Not enough pay for the work

Was told one thing but then showed another.

Current Employee - Utility Locate Technician in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Utility Locate Technician in Chicago, IL

I have been working at USIC full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Company supplies the equipment (hopefully its not too old) and work truck(hopefully its not too damaged). They provide a gas card and a maintenance card also.

Cons

unfortunately I have more cons then pros. Ok so I was told training will take place between 8 am to 4 pm, After the first day of training the times were changed to 630 am to 330 pm. The training was rushed and not really reinforced. Some of the major parts of the job were never thought in class only talked about with a small example. For example print reading. Reading prints is a very important part of the job but it wasn't really covered in class. I was told I would receive 2 weeks of ride along time with a tech and that this would be my "real training" I was only given 3 days with the tech then was thrown in the field solo with no clue what to do. Was train in the suburbs but made to work in the city, completely different environment. Was told in the interview the company will pay for my residential parking permit for the work truck that was a lie. Not paid well for the work and danger you will put yourself in. Lots of job stress. Be ready not to see your family or have a life. 50 hours a week 6 days a week. Sounds nice until you work a couple of weeks and become burned out.

Make sure the person giving the interview is providing correct information. Adjust your training for more hands on experience and not starring in a book for 6 hours. Don't overload your supervisors and make it impossible for a tech to get a hold of them.