USM

Updated Jul 20, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Anthony J. Guzzi

I have gained valuable experience that equips me to present your company with advantages others may not offer.

Seasonal Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) Norristown, PA

ProsUSM allowed me to be flexible in scheduling, and still provided the security i needed for the time i was employed.

ConsI only wish the job had been extended beyond the winter season.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work!

Began as a great place to work, after company was sold 3 times in 4 yrs, everything changed.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsMost supervisors really care about their team.

ConsCompany bought by a Fortune 500 company and focus has gone from customer satisfaction to profit at any cost.

Advice to Senior ManagementRefocus attention on customer satisfaction and employee retention.

A company that is "COMPANY FIRST" Employees are chess pieces, easily tossed around.

Work Order Representative (Current Employee) Norristown, PA

ProsNo pros, favoritism, sexism and a crooked HR dept. Emcor purchased USM and they have started to take our jobs to Phoenix AZ and will shut down the USM location in PA. If you go to HR with issues/concerns they call your manager immediately and most times you are fired after talking with HR.

ConsManagement creates a hostile work environment and gets enjoyment out of it. Sad but true. They are sending our jobs to Phoenix AZ, so no need to treat us with any dignity or respect, as Emcor will be shutting USM down after they get all the information they need to start the jobs in Phoenix.

Advice to Senior ManagementOnly if you know the right person.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Interesting place to work

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Norristown, PA

ProsPeople are great and the building is nice

ConsLeadership team isn't the best

Account Coordinator

Account Coordinator (Current Employee) Norristown, PA

ProsCompany morale has teetered on the brink of "hey we're doing okay" and "yikes this place is going down" for the past five years I've worked here. I've been fortunate enough to miss the mass layoffs, and to have worked with some absolutely amazing people, both immediate colleagues and subcontractors (some of which are interesting characters). There's usually not a dull moment, especially if you work in Operations during snow season. Flexible work/life balance--although that's dependent upon who your supervisor is.

ConsThe opportunity to advance is dependent upon who taps you on the shoulder and encourages you to apply. It's frustrating to see people move up who many not necessarily deserve a promotion. Those who want to learn more, gain more training, and have a sincere desire to move up the ranks tend to be overlooked if they don't have a "buddy" higher up. One particular department is "the boys club" meaning there are no women who work on the management team. Very discouraging.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake a close look at the people to who truly work hard, and consider their ideas to help improve processes. The company is doing better than it has thanks to a great season in snow, but give employees a reason to stay and grow. Encourage technical competencies, send out newsletters about the industry, keep people informed. Hold managers and supervisors accountable for helping develop employees, but train them how to do so. Make people WANT to stay with the company....and a backyard BBQ in the parking lot is not the way to do that.

extreme

Proshappy, diverse, tolerant, Sitting all day

Conssalary, diverse, tolerant, Sitting all day

Poor management

Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) Norristown, PA

ProsGained good customer service and escalation triage experience. Ability to pick up overtime plenty of overtime during snow season.

ConsPoor management. Positions are under paid and under appreciated. Hiring process was very lengthy and I didn't receive the salary that was originally promised.

Good Place to Work

Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) Norristown, PA

ProsFloor Management is really good, especially the exterior department, take care of employees.

ConsToo much work for few people, Upper management don't have idea the scope of work and the necessities of their employees

Advice to Senior ManagementThey should hire more people to obtain management expectations

OK

Contractor (Current Employee) Minneapolis, MN

ProsOk but lot to improve

ConsEvery thing was ok ok

USM, Inc. An Emcor Company

Account Coordinator (Former Employee) Norristown, PA

ProsUSM provides good pay and benefits for the positions they offer.

ConsUSM changes policy often and employee moral suffers

Worked for USM? Contribute to the Community!