USO Reviews

Dr. J.D. Crouch II

1. Coordinator

Current Employee - Coordinator in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Coordinator in Arlington, VA

I have been working at USO full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- "Mission first" is one of the USO's core values -- personally, it has been a big change to work for such a mission-oriented organization but I can safely say that it's been a great experience.

- Management seems to care deeply about their employees. They understand the importance of work/life balance but also recognize their team member's achievements. Even when a mistake is made (after all, we all make them at one point or another), they turn it into a positive learning experience.

- The benefits are fantastic.

Cons

- Workload can be a bit stressful, but that's understandable as the USO is a non-profit and only has about 400-some full-time employees.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing!

2. Amazing Company to Work For

I worked at USO

Pros

- Working under a great mission all employees are passionate about
    - Great company culture
    - Learning opportunities are always available

Cons

- I did not think there were any cons to working here!

3. Dance Instructor

I worked at USO

Pros

Amazing company to work for enjoyed every minute of it

Cons

No cons very organized and friendly

5. Director

Current Employee - Director in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Director in Arlington, VA

I have been working at USO full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Love the mission, love the people. Every day is different and the culture is very inviting

Cons

Lots of changes in senior management. Communication from top-down is not as strong as it could be.

Advice to Management

Find the priorities and communicate them across the organization. There should be no confusion of where the organization is going this year and beyond. Supporting the troops and their families is an amazing mission. Everyone is behind it and believes in it. Use it to your advantage.

Center Director

I worked at USO full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Working with the military.
    Making a difference in the lives of the men and women who serve our country, as well as their families.

Cons

Long work hours; no operational support from USO Leadership. Do more with less. If you want help, get the volunteers to do it (they won't). If you want staff, raise the money to hire them. No appreciation for the diligent work performed by staff.

Advice to Management

Listen to your directors.

7. After leaving the military the USO was the only employer I've found which has been able to give me a sense of purpose.

Current Employee - Communications in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Communications in Arlington, VA

I have been working at USO full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great culture!! Purpose-driven colleagues. Great location in the middle of Arlington, and a brand everyone respects. With many jobs you might be in a rush to get home from work so you can take off the branded polo shirt before you go to happy hour but not at the USO. It's almost like a badge of honor in the D.C. area. More than a few times service members have offered to buy me a drink or have said "thank you" because of those three letters on my shirt or cap. When you leave work every day, you feel like you helped change someones life for the better. The health benefits are great. So good, in fact, that even my wife who works for a healthcare company doesn't have better coverage. lol. True story. She makes like three times my salary and she's on my PPO. haha.

Cons

Arlington is expensive, and being a 501c3 non-profit the USO isn't breaking the bank with super high salaries and they shouldn't be expected to. That would only decrease their GuideStar ratings. They also have not been very keen on the idea of working remote, so you might have to live out of town and commute in, which is doable here with Metro. Fortunately if you do have to take metro the USO gives you a monthly metro stipend as one of the benefits, so your commute should be free. In my experience the only other "con" I've seen has been the limitation of personal and professional growth.

Advice to Management

Open up more remote positions. Also, education reimbursement benefits should not be subject to departmental budgets. If it's a benefit being offered by HR as part of the Compensation and Benefits package then it should be available upon request and should come out of the HR budget. Enrolling in school could be a spontaneous decision for a lot of people, and they shouldn't be penalized because the department didn't plan for it a year beforehand.

8. Best Job Ever

I have been working at USO

Pros

Taking care of America's Troops and their families daily - it doesn't get any better!

Cons

Opportunities for upward mobility are limited.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing.

9. My experience at the USO was rewarding

Former Employee - Programs Manager in Arlington, VA
    Former Employee - Programs Manager in Arlington, VA

I worked at USO full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great atmosphere, Employee espirit de corps events, company outings, online self development, people with the same passion to serve the troops, metro allowance or free garage parking, holiday events, travel (if applicable to your position), fair performance review process, great vacation policy- 30 days a year.

Cons

Minimal advancement opportunities. Turnover in certain departments. Really I do not have too many cons based on my personal experiences. Everyone's experience is not the same.

Advice to Management

Create ways for employees to grow professionally, even if that leads to a position outside the organization

10. Its a great organization to work for, that has an incredible mission.

I have been working at USO full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Its a great organization to work with that has an incredible mission. Its a job that I want to go to everyday and I appreciate and respect my co-workers and peers. The scope of programs that we are able to bring out to the military communities are the best part of the job, and it makes you want to do even more. Benefits are competitive, and while be slightly less than a for-profit organization there is a healthy compensation package that is offered to staff.

Cons

There are some communication challenges within the corporate leadership and upper regional leadership. Budgets are small and unfortunately there are high overhead costs that could be mitigated better. There has also been an increase of micromanagement within the last year, which has had a negative impact to morale and leadership confidence.

Advice to Management

I would suggest to have more information shared throughout the organization, less micro managing, and an increase in transparency. There is a tendency to be focused on particular groups without apparent forethought to global or individual area applications.

5 years and still loving it

I have been working at USO full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Almost every single coworker WANTS to be here, and BELIEVES in the mission. This makes all the difference. When you work with people who care about the same things you do (like being there for our troops and their families), it doesn't matter what department you're in, you're going to work hard collaborating on this common goal. When entertainment goes to send out the tours to the middle east, literally 40 or so people from all different departments offer to help carry boxes through the building to load up the trucks. Then entertainment makes homemade cookies to thank everybody. It's that kind of a workplace. It's fun working with people from literally all over the world. It's always something new, and that makes the humdrum things more interesting because it's always mixed with the exciting. Then ultimately the best reward is to read the stories and emails of the troops the USO has touched. To know you've had a small part in making that happen is the best feeling! Also, 30 days of PTO a year is a pretty sweet reward too (who needs sick days anyway, I use all of them for vacation)!

Cons

Innovation can be difficult when there are multiple layers of higher ups to get through to get an idea approved. While I say that almost every single coworker believes in the mission and wants to be here, when you do encounter those rare few who don't want to work hard it's incredibly frustrating because then you have to overcompensate.

Advice to Management

Invite lower level positions to meetings and to submit their ideas, not just people with VP in their title. Lower level positions are the ones interacting with the field every single day, so they're the ones who are going to know what the actual implementation of any ideas will be like.

RSS Feed </> Embed