USO

Sloan D. Gibson

Internship

Former Employee - Intern in Arlington, VA
    Former Employee - Intern in Arlington, VA

I worked at USO as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

The people that work in the Arlington office are all very nice and more than willing to help out with any questions the interns have. I worked closely with my boss and learned a ton about non-profit organizations. The job is very rewarding and everyone works towards a great cause!

Cons

The internship is unpaid and sometimes I felt like I could have challenged myself with harder work, but other than that it was a great experience

Don't look behind the curtain!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

I worked at USO full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The mission is noble and the staff and volunteers that are not management do a great job delivering goodness to the troops. The staff and volunteers truly have their hearts in the job and want to give everything they can to the troops.

Cons

The executives and management are the worst ever. The senior staff needs a complete overhaul starting with Development and HR since they have the worst management in the company. The staff works as hard as they can with the managers tying their hands behind their backs. The Development team was completely dysfunctional the entire time I worked there and no one at the top was interested in resolving the problems that was obvious to all. Those of us in other departments hated working with HR because of its ineffectiveness and incompetence. The core values are only on paper and not practiced by management.

The USO needs an overhaul in leadership. Take a look at how many good employees have been lost and stop making excuses for why they left. Don't listen to the rhetoric of "better opportunities" because employees wouldn't be looking for opportunities if they were satisfied with the one they had. Employees don't leave their job, they leave their manager and most of the people who have left did so because their manager mistreated them. It would serve the USO much better to hold the management (from top down) accountable for their actions, decisions, and behaviors.

Good

Current Employee - Specialist in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Specialist in Arlington, VA

I have been working at USO full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great employee benefits--30 PTO/Sick days right away

Cons

SVP's can be disconnected from what is going on within their departments

Fun job; messed up management

Former Employee - Multimedia Manager in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Multimedia Manager in Boston, MA

I worked at USO full-time (less than an year)

Pros

This job was creative, eclectic and a new challenge each day. There were only 3 employees with the rest volunteers. We worked together tightly and wore many hats. It was fun and challenging.

Cons

Management. It was a charter system with many layers. Each USO had a charter which fell under the main headquarters in DC. When they got into a heated dispute, the charter was "pulled" and all employees that local management hired were let go.

Very bad form.

Remember the employees several layers below, may have liked their jobs and would have stayed. Doing clean sweeps is bad form. We had no idea what was going on with management and the charter, we were just trying to do the best job we could.

Mission creep.

I have been working at USO

Pros

The best part of working for the US so we're serving our US military, retirees, and veterans.

Cons

The difficulty in working with the USO was the mission changed, from one of a service mentality to fundraising... raising money for the organization that in my opinion, was not put to the best use possible.

Don't live in an ivory tower, work with your supervisors, your managers and listen to those in the trenches before decisions are made.

Great mission, but disappointing management

I worked at USO full-time

Pros

The mission to support troops and their families is beyond rewarding. Those at centers (a.k.a. in the field) experience this first-hand on a daily basis and it's a motivation to keep doing good things. Fellow employees in the field (around the world) and some at the headquarters are great people to know and to work with. Some volunteers are true gems and it's amazing to see how many selfless servants donate their time day after day, year after year, through good times and crises.

Cons

- Toxic management and no truly anonymous/protective system to report issues/problems.
    - Too many middle managers
    - Field is understaffed
    - A culture of favoritism
    - Disconnect between headquarters and the field
    - Disconnect between Core Values and actually practicing them
    - Extremely poor internal communications
    - Ever increasing demands and decreasing resources to meet such demands
    - Ever increasing micromanagement
    - Extremely difficult and occasionally impossible to "do the right thing" for troops/families, even volunteers
    - Not enough compensation for field staff
    - Difficult to find work-life balance and meet job demands
    - Little training

Address toxicity; really look at middle managers between the HQ and the field. Treat those in the field better, and trust them to do their jobs and to "do the right thing" without so much micromanagement. Realize that the high turnover at the field-level is a problem that has been increasing due to how the staff is being treated (regardless of the reason folks state they are leaving; the mistreatment is at the core) and do something about it, because in the end, not only are you losing staff, but you're also losing the support of some of your once most loyal donors and volunteers. Understand that the best stewards of donor dollars are your field employees and learn from them. They are the most resourceful people on your staff.

Excellent experience and exposure

I worked at USO full-time

Pros

Wonderful mission, excellent clients, great resume builder

Cons

Little work-life balance, continuously juggling increasing needs with decreasing resources; disconnect with upper level management; salaries aren't commensurate with work load, for those "in the field".

Have nothing to add.

Positive workplace, but slow and not enough work to go around

Former Employee - Anonymous in Arlington, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous in Arlington, VA

I worked at USO

Pros

Great mission and work environment. Awesome work/life balance and supportive culture.

Cons

Toxic people aren't addressed properly; some supervisors don't delegate work down, so many employees are bored and underutilized. Tendency to keep information at the top and doesn't trickle down. No enough training.

Don't tolerate mediocrity and toxicity among employees; insist it more training for new employees

Ok place to work if you like a slow pace...

Current Employee - Manager in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Manager in Arlington, VA

I have been working at USO full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The missions is very rewarding. Benefits and work-life balance is great.

Cons

Employees at all levels are not held accountable, but especially at the director and higher levels. Improvement/change is slow. Meetings are a waste of time. In the meantime, you spend all your time like a hamster in wheel doing the same thing inefficiently over and over again.

Walk the talk. Hold people accountable. Don't string them along because you don't want turnover in your department. Be leaders and take a REAL interest in your employees, they will work harder and better if you do. Don't make promises you don't plan on keeping (or will forget you made).

Great mission, passionate staff, hard working employees. The field staff are amazing -- do so much with so little.

I have been working at USO full-time

Pros

You are proud of what you do and who you support.

Cons

Senior leadership lacks inspiration. They don't set the standard for the organization to follow, and they have adversely impacted the culture.

Fix the senior team once and for all.

USO Photos