UT Medical Group

Be The First To
Add Photos

UT Medical Group President & CEO Dr. J. Lacey Smith

Dr. J. Lacey Smith

Good company with great benefits

Physician Assistant (Current Employee) Memphis, TN

ProsLots of benefits, PTO, vacation, sick days and retirement. Great environment for learning with great teachers

ConsMissed opportunities for CMEs and advancement. Long hours need to earn comp time.

Advice to Senior ManagementReward employees with good customer service skills and allow them to train other new employees

Overall it was a positive experience. The staff was supportive and always helpful.

ProsPay is average for position

ConsIt is difficult to move up in your position and get a pay increase more than 2-3% each year.

UT Medical Group once was a great place to work, but not any more.

Information Technology (Former Employee) Memphis, TN

ProsBenefits, work-life balance, time-off practices

ConsCompany values, room for advancement, communication

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of consultants that are bleeding you dry

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

No room for professional growth.

ProsClosed on all major holidays.

ConsLowest end of the pay scale, no raises, poor management.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake some management courses.

Good company to work for, but will hold you back

Moa (Current Employee) Memphis, TN

ProsGood benefits and all holidays off with pay

ConsCompany does not promote employees

Advice to Senior ManagementManagers should fully understand the jobs of the employees they manage

Hated to leave

Licensed Practical Nurse (Former Employee) Germantown, TN

ProsExcellent coworkers and unit management, staffing, time off, importance of family life, appreciation of staff, salary increase,

Consonly one con/complaint so far, 1 nurse manager completely incompatible.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't be quick to look down your nose. If it worked well before don't try to change it

Not the worst employer, but definitely not the best, either.

Data Warehouse Analyst (Current Employee) Memphis, TN

ProsBenefits are pretty good, and should get a bit better when they start a 401k later in the year (currently, you can contribute to a 403b). Office space is ok, but if you're not on the exec. floor, be prepared for your internet access to be limited. Work/life mix is really good for most positions.
    If you're working at the corporate office in midtown Memphis, you'll be able to park in a garage - you'll be thankful in the middle of a midsouth summer.

ConsPay is a bit on the low side, not bad, but I could make about 8-10% more at a different company. My supervisor is, while not a "horrible boss", difficult to work with. More of an "annoying boss", really. Also, has a tendency to micro-manage and keep employees under her thumb.
    A little behind the times from a technology standpoint. If you are in a position where you need to be connected, be prepared to carry a Blackberry around in addition to whatever cell phone you may use personally.

Advice to Senior ManagementBring pay rates up a bit to match industry-wide standards. Allow employees to work from home when possible.

It could and should be a great place to work but the politics are insane!

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Knoxville, TN

ProsIt is the only teaching facility in the area and the up to date medical care is great the doctors are top notch.

ConsPolitics and the good old boy and network are in full swing at this facility, it's all about who you know not about the job you do.

Overall, nice place to work.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Memphis, TN

ProsThe benefits are great. Very pleased with vacation and sick leave. A great organization to gain multi-specialty experience. Most of the physicians are very professional and easy to work with.

ConsNew hires must negotiate the best salary possible as raises are rarely given, if at all. The pay grades do not equate to compensation. Top executives are a very small clique of people who are out of touch with the physicians and employees and are not respected by the staff mostly due to their lack of maturity or qualifications to serve in top management roles. Several great employees have passed through the organization without their talents ever being recognized or utilized.

Advice to Senior ManagementAllow current employees the opportunity to contribute their talents and experience to the organization. Respectfully listen to the employees and physicians. Provide an anonymous method for employees and physicians to make constructive suggestions. Need to improve patient satisfaction. The scores are terrible and are largely ignored by upper management.

had to deal with incompetent office supervisors, but coworkers were hard-working and doctors great to work for.

Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) Memphis, TN

ProsGood place to gain a few years work experience, good place to learn, but too few pay raises over the years and little to no promotion. Some of the best doctors around to work for and you deal with a needy population. Mission statement is good.

ConsOver 2 decades of work, only received 7-8 pay raises and paid an average of $10 thousand less than comparable jobs in the same market. Little to no promotion and several bad-to-incompetent office managers. Even with this seniority, was laid off with 2 hours notice. (I did receive a severance package, but felt that I deserved more notice). Pension company contributions being cut over a period of time probably to 0.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you are going to lay off people, should pay attention to seniority and could find a new position somewhere in the organization.

Worked for UT Medical Group? Contribute to the Community!