UT Southwestern Medical Center Reviews

1. World-renowned medical center

Current Employee - Staff RN
    Current Employee - Staff RN

I have been working at UT Southwestern Medical Center

Pros

Teaching hospital, excellent nurses, complex cases, busy, great benefits

Cons

Teaching hospital, staffing, busy, parking, size

Keep listening to the staff that takes care of patients day in and day out.

2. Web Developer

Current Employee - Web Developer in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Web Developer in Dallas, TX

I have been working at UT Southwestern Medical Center

Pros

1. Good work life balance. The workload is definitely not high. And I can always go home early.(latest time is 6pm)
    2. good management, great chance to learn new technologies.

Cons

Low salary just 23 per hour
    no benefits like medical care or 401k
    parking is terrible. almost 10 mins walk to office from the parking lot.

I don't have any advice

3. Run from UT Imaging!

I have been working at UT Southwestern Medical Center full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Wonderful coworkers. Good Benefits.

Cons

Worst managers ever. Rule by intimidation. No concern for employees! Extremely short staffed and over scheduled. Constant change.

5. Stressful environment

Former Employee - Anonymous in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous in Dallas, TX

I worked at UT Southwestern Medical Center full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Terrific insurance benefits as its a state institution.

Cons

A constant barrage of ridicule day in and day out. Compliments always felt like they were given because they " had" to. Supervisors take direction from managers so if they're told by managers to punish or to compliment- they do. They are not by themselves free to make a decision.They have not earned honest respect from any of my former peers. As my peers shared many times: " you just learn to play their game". Rather sad.

Don't be so concerned about the processes that are created. Take stock in your employees and value their opinions. Put patient care and your employees happiness first and their wont be such a high turn over with consistent low morale.

6. Learning Experience

I have been working at UT Southwestern Medical Center full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Leadership development available. Work environment is filled with learning and growth.

Cons

politics
    large campus
    old buildings
    silos
    communication

7. Good job

Former Employee - Physical
    Former Employee - Physical

I worked at UT Southwestern Medical Center part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits/pension and free healthcare for employees.

Cons

Job became boring after a while. A lot of silly systems/policies/management interference.

Frustrating and depressing.

Former Employee - Operations Staff
    Former Employee - Operations Staff

I worked at UT Southwestern Medical Center full-time

Pros

Sense of pride being part of an organization whose institutions and healthcare provider / research programs are world famous. Good benefits. A lot of great people truly trying to do a good job, who would really succeed elsewhere.

Cons

Very hierarchical, political, bureaucratic organization. Too many promotions seem to be based simply on seniority or favoritism vs due to merit which leads to too many unskilled, unqualified and uninterested managers just biding their time for the next UTSW financial milestone or outside offer. Inconsistent direction for tasks and/or goals. Chaotic, fear-based environment. Too many HR programs are rolled out constantly with little to no thought about other corporate deadlines, causing the running joke "you will enjoy working here if it kills you". Hyper conservative in some departments. Technology is outdated and not user-friendly, even with the advent of PeopleSoft. Many of the facilities are run down and depressing / have zero energetic vibe. OK compensation until you are promoted, whereby the general rule is to cap your raise at 10% max - for many people this is not equitable or fair. You have to come in from the outside to receive the market rate for the position if you are not within 10% at your current salary. Difficult to take a one hour break away from campus due to the amount of time it takes to get to your car (in certain buildings) so you can feel held hostage - unfortunately, those buildings are the buildings that are old and drab inside and out, so it is especially depressing when you can not get away for days on end.

To Senior Leadership: Encourage staff to be truthful about issues, without fear of being the messenger for relaying a problem they are trying to repair or for which they are seeking your support or guidance. Managers should be encouraged to find ways to clear the way for staff to do their jobs (many just shrug and say "it's not going to change..."). Managers should have a sense that they will be supported without being dressed down (whether publicly or privately), even when an idea they have presented may not or does not succeed, and they should receive immediate feedback either way. Operating with the idea that all people should be treated exactly the same inadvertently leads to demoralized staff; it is the lazy way to manage large populations and is actually counter-productive.. Senior leaders need to step in and give their direct reports better guidance and sometimes, unfortunately, require subordinates to co-operate and adhere to policies and practices. Office culture in some organizations is too uptight / leadership takes themselves too seriously - encourage people to be human and encourage managers to be approachable. It is one thing to maintain a decorum of professionalism; another to completely lose sense of humor. Frequent meetings behind closed doors and conversations held at a whisper or simply turned off in front of your staff, creates an environment of paranoia. Bottom line: Take an honest look at your upper management's style before concluding all issues are due to ops level staff just being lazy or incompetent. Emphasize the things staff CAN do, and be creative about providing positive environments - spend less time focusing so hard and announcing the things staff can NOT do - there is way too much negative reinforcement.

9. good employer......................

I have been working at UT Southwestern Medical Center

Pros

benefits are very good.............5 words 5 words

Cons

the campus around is homeless

almost good enough.................

I stepped into a toxic environment when I started my position and ended up resigning from my position

Former Employee - Finance Manager in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Finance Manager in Dallas, TX

I worked at UT Southwestern Medical Center full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Great benefits and stable organization

Cons

Although UT Southwestern Medical Center has a great reputation from a medical standpoint, the business side is poor

Be more selective with people that you hire and promote to upper-level management that actually know how to manage people

Claims Analyst

I have been working at UT Southwestern Medical Center full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Very Laid back enviroment, plenty of people to talk to and flexible schedule

Cons

We have to pay for our parking, we only get paid once a month and retirement is 7 percent of check instead of the 4 most employers hace

None. I think management is great.

UT Southwestern Medical Center Photos