UTC Fire & Security Reviews

61 reviews filtered by
2.2
UTC Fire & Security Chairman and CEO Louis R. ChĂȘnevert
Louis R. ChĂȘnevert

Pros
  • Good people, good salary, good benefits (in 4 reviews)

• As part of United Technologies Fire & Security, the pay and benefits were fairly decent (in 2 reviews)

Cons
  • If you ARE a manager, be prepared to choke on tons of unnecessary red tape (in 3 reviews)

• This awful management style will hurt them severely in the long run when all the long term employees start to retire (in 2 reviews)

1. Great Company to work for

I worked at UTC Fire & Security

Pros

I absolutely enjoyed my 4 years at this wonderful company. I have a no complains. Management and employees are really working together toward a common goal

Cons

There is nothing really wrong with UTC, I would definitely recommend this company for employment

Great Company, Continue a great job

2. Need to train management not to be so bias.

Former Employee - National Payment Center Coordinator in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - National Payment Center Coordinator in Charlotte, NC

I worked at UTC Fire & Security

Pros

Free food most of the time.

Cons

Manager favoritism. Fighting in the team. No team players. No positive people there.

Management needs more training and should be fired if you so extreme favoritism.

Communication is broken

Current Employee - Marketing Manager
    Current Employee - Marketing Manager

I have been working at UTC Fire & Security full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great education reimbursement package. If you are an employee take advantage of it, go back to school.

Cons

Non-existent communication between upper level management and the rest of the organization. Their strategy changes very often having confused employees and very upset customers.
    The benefits are not so great with the exception of the education reimbursement. Salary levels and raises were almost never reviewed.

5. Dysfunctional at the business unit I was with

Former Employee - Field Sales in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Field Sales in Atlanta, GA

I worked at UTC Fire & Security full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The Pay was excellent and consistent

Cons

Total Lack of Cohesion of Management

Listen to your customers

6. Good local people to work with - corporate management does not understand what it takes to support local operations.

Current Employee - Staff Management in Pittsfield, ME
    Current Employee - Staff Management in Pittsfield, ME

I have been working at UTC Fire & Security full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great work ethic, quality conscious and dedicated employees, solid market position for the products manufactured made for a stable demand throughout the year.

Cons

Corporate management not in tune with the needs of a production environment. Unrealistic performance expectations that exceed current capabilities or capacities with no plans to expand either one. Extremely political environment at the senior management level.

At the local level, nothing further to add. At the corporate level, they need to listen to what their local management is telling them and park their egos long enough to understand the implications of what is being proposed.

Not able to keep up with the professional competition in this advanced technological job market.

Former Contractor - Software Engineer in Costa Mesa, CA
    Former Contractor - Software Engineer in Costa Mesa, CA

I worked at UTC Fire & Security as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

Great flexibility.
    Choose what hours you want to work.
    Very little stress and low employee turnover rate.
    Not micromanaged, given responsibility to complete projects and tasks on your own.

Cons

First off the company I worked for is a small less than 100 person company that became a part of UTC Fire and Security around 3 years ago when they were bought out. Ever since becoming a part of UTC, this little company has had no power whatsoever to hire new employees. The position I originally applied for was a full time perm position. However, I had to take a contractor position because the line of communication between corporate was non-existent. I assumed after a few months I would be hired full time if my performance was up to par. After many conversations with management at this small branch, I quickly began to realize they had no power whatsoever in any decision making process. There is also no on site HR which makes getting anything processed a pain. Salaries are very low and are not competitive with the MMR for a technology company in Southern California. This company is still stuck in 2000-2003 thinking it's location is in the Midwest and that the average home price is 200k instead of 600k+. I would say most Senior Developers(10+ years experience) get paid in between 50-80k which is basically minimum wage is Southern California. All UTC corporate is currently doing is making cutbacks and not doing anything to grow their current businesses. This awful management style will hurt them severely in the long run when all the long term employees start to retire. They won't be able to attract new employees to work for them because they can't keep up with the competition salary wise in this advanced job market. UTC is getting too large for it's own good and it is only going to continue to hurt the smaller companies that corporate won't lift one finger for. All UTC execs care about is dollar signs and profitability. Well I hate to break it to you UTC, but it is the employees that make that stock price go up and if all of your former employees are leaving to work for actual worthy DOW 30 companies well we will see how well those layoffs and contractor positions help you in the long run. As a millennial I expect a lot from a company with such prestige as UTC. I am disappointed at how overrated they really are. I don't see myself ever working for this company again when there are so many better choices out there.

Hire new employees to grow the business.
    Keep salaries competitive and actually look up MMR statistics.
    Learn how to correctly manage and communicate with the smaller businesses UTC owns.

8. Services Division Sold

I worked at UTC Fire & Security full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Great Leadership, good communication vehicles to workforce.

Cons

The Sale. Slow to integrate the Services Businesses into the UTC mainstream.

9. Good before Changes

Former Employee - Human Resources in Ashland, MA
    Former Employee - Human Resources in Ashland, MA

I worked at UTC Fire & Security full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Had great leadership in the location where I worked. Flexibility in the location was key to overall satisfaction. I had a great leader who provided me with wonderful career guidance, coaching and mentorship.

Cons

Many layoffs over a relatively short duration of time. UTCFS was still so young when compared to overall UTC which meant many of the long-standing practices were missing. Several acquisitions are what comprised UTCFS and it created a disjointed organization.

10. Strong sub-divisions, continual upper level re-organization

Former Employee - Applications Support in Farmington, CT
    Former Employee - Applications Support in Farmington, CT

I worked at UTC Fire & Security full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Good ethics culture, Very process oriented, Strive for continual improvement. Strong team atmosphere

Cons

Work stability in flux because of continual re-organizations

More investment in longer term employees

11. The Best company

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I worked at UTC Fire & Security as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

Best ethical values in this company

Cons

You will give have the best time here

UTC Fire & Security Photos