UTHealth Houston Reviews

Updated August 27, 2014

3.2

UTHealth Houston President ad interim Giuseppe N. Colasurdo
Giuseppe N. Colasurdo

Pros
  • Very good benefits, nice people to work with, pay always on time (in 7 reviews)

• Great institution, great benefits, great collaborative environment (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • I was a casual employee so no benefits, low pay (in 3 reviews)

• inefficient and low salary for mid level employees (in 2 reviews)

More Highlights

Great environment!

I have been working at UTHealth Houston

Pros

It's a great place to work. Amazing research happens here and there's collaboration between different institutions at the Texas Med Center.

Cons

The benefits are great but the compensation could be much better.

Good, bad, and ugly

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I worked at UTHealth Houston full-time for more than a year

Pros

-Work was truly cutting edge
    -Benefits were decent, standard for a state job
    -People I worked with were generally nice

Cons

-My boss was incredibly unethical, moody and incompetent. One minute he was laughing and joking around, the next he was cussing me out. Some of the things that occurred there were the most unethical things I have ever seen. This was a major contributing factor to my departure.
    -Pay was too low. This was also a major contributing factor to my departure.
    -The bus system was not efficient at all. Logistics in general here were a major issue. Parking was horrible as well.
    -Training was non-existent. I was expected to figure exceedingly complex things out on my own and any failure was met with a severe tongue lashing.
    -Perceived lack of funding held up critical work, which then got "scooped" by another institution. Actually, the funding was there, but my boss didn't want to spend it on doing the project.
    -Food was expensive and not very good.
    -I was on call 24/7/365, and was told I could not go more than a couple hundred miles from Houston. Without on call compensation.

Be careful who you hire to manage people.

Great Experience but alot of work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I have been working at UTHealth Houston full-time for more than a year

Pros

You get to work with some of the best doctors in their field. There is a very diverse workforce and the institution as a whole employs personnel with years of experience and who are resourceful.

Cons

A majority of the administrative support or clerical positions in research operations are dual or even triple assignments. Most have a very large workload that is usually spread out amongst departments for the same position at a pharma company or CRO.

Support the staff by being flexible and understanding and to find room in budgets to add more assistant/entry level positions to ease the workload of coordinators and research administrators.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

It is still growing rapidly

Current Employee - Predoctoral Research Fellow  in  Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Predoctoral Research Fellow in Houston, TX

I have been working at UTHealth Houston as an intern for less than a year

Pros

It's growing rapidly and have many positions open. It's more like a research institute and people focus on experiments, evaluation results and publications.

Cons

Sometimes the coordination or communication might be slow because many employees are new here. I guess it will be better in the coming future.

I'm also new here so not quite clear about this topic.

Plenty of opportunity for advancement.

I have been working at UTHealth Houston

Pros

Location, salary, benefits, food, prestige.

Cons

Supervisory Napoleonic Complexes, high turnover rate.

Please heed employees' pleas when describing working conditions under current management. Turnover rate is high.

Not a place for career growth

Former Employee - Statistician  in  Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Statistician in Houston, TX

I worked at UTHealth Houston full-time for less than a year

Pros

Free medical benefit, 15 days holiday time off, 13 sick days off and at least 12 vacation days per year.

Cons

Routine work everyday. There is no place for promotion or learn new skills. Low base salary.

Great learning environment....a lot of program development and advancement is need.

Current Employee - Safety  in  Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Safety in Houston, TX

I have been working at UTHealth Houston full-time for less than a year

Pros

Benefits are a plus. State of Texas job. 8 to 5 job. Tuition reimbursement is offered.

Cons

Safety is a challenging topic to preach in an academic and research institution. Money always seems to be an issue for everything. 0-3% raises annually if that. No advancement in positions. Once a specialist always a specialist.

Interact with your staff more so you are in the loop. Decisions should not take months or need a supporting thesis.

Safety Specialist

Current Employee - Safety Specialist  in  Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Safety Specialist in Houston, TX

I have been working at UTHealth Houston full-time for more than a year

Pros

Laid-back atmosphere; Relaxed work environment; Great peer group of employees; Reimbursement for tuition and professional certifications; Great work to life ratio

Cons

Limited salary potential; Virtually no chance of advancement or cross-training; Bonuses are rare and of little value; High turnover rate; Ask for a high wage in your interview because you won't get a salary increase!

I would advise management to allow for cross-training of specialties. Employees are only responsible for a small portion of the safety role. Also, I think management should provide more competitive salary ranges. I found out why I was told that the average person in my position only stays for 1-3 years. I could deal with my dissatisfaction if I felt that I was being paid what I am worth.

Diverse but fractured environment

Current Employee - Postdoctoral Research Fellow  in  Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Postdoctoral Research Fellow in Houston, TX

I have been working at UTHealth Houston full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good benefits, lots of support from the training departments, great location, many opportunities to learn from other insitutions.

Cons

No social environment, very limited collaboration within the university, poor retention benefits, lack of ameneties (not even free coffee), more focused on staff retention than research talent retention.

Add some things to the work location that will keep the talent interested in staying at work for longer periods of time.

High risk to your professional growth.

Former Employee - Senior, Talent Acquisition Specialist  in  Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Senior, Talent Acquisition Specialist in Houston, TX

I worked at UTHealth Houston full-time for less than a year

Pros

The people are very friendly. Great benefits. Well organized.

Cons

High turn-over rate, especially for veterans. Quick to fire without warning or putting personnel on a professional growth plan. The organization's management isn't serious about keeping those they hire.

Learn who your people really are. Spend time with your employees, getting to know them, giving feedback and warnings of possible termination. Put them on a plan to strengthen their skills and keep them on your employment rolls.

Worked for UTHealth Houston? Contribute to the Community!