UTI
www.uti.edu Phoenix, AZ 1000 to 5000 Employees

UTI Reviews

Updated Jul 10, 2014
UTI – Scottsdale – “Universal Technical Institute Corporate…”

UTI CEO Kimberly J. McWaters

Kimberly J. McWaters

Pros:
  • "If you value working on teams and collaborating with others, it's a great place to be"
    in 4 reviews
  • "Co-workers were like family; great work environment"
    in 4 reviews
Cons:
  • "Work/life balance does not exist"
    in 3 reviews
  • "Management has no clue about the real world of dealing with 17 and 18 year old young men"
    in 3 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

I love UTI, but I do not feel the upper management knows I exist.

ProsThe passion of the students, the dedication of the students and the commitment of the organization makes it a wonderful place to work.

ConsThe pay scale is low, and the benefits are horrible.

Advice to Senior ManagementAcknowledge the dedication of the people who work for you. I have never worked with more passionate, caring and hard working people who get no recognition. 15% of the employees do 90% of the work.

A great opportunity.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsProgressive thinking, great pay, fun work environment, good leadership and training, ethically sound, opportunity for advancement, recognition, open door policy.

ConsBalance goals more realistically, get all of the departments to work in better unison with admissions, offer more flexibility in scheduling and autonomy with schedule, eliminate mandatory event participation.

Advice to Senior ManagementReevalute the system.

Lots of hidden messages behind any direction received . It isn't what you know, but who you know.

ProsIf you have bad leaders, it reflects throughout the Campus. Numerous people have left the Company looking for a healthy work environment .

ConsHome Office completely out touch with what truly happens at this location. Wake up!! Total abuse of power by Leaders. When you have bad leadership the entire Campus pays the price!

Advice to Senior ManagementWake up!!

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

You can do better......... can't you?

Technical Support Analyst (Current Employee)

ProsGreat office Location. Campuses are nice and clean.

ConsRooms are not sound proof at all.

Unfair promotions. Seems people are either sleeping their way to the top or conning in-experienced managers into thinking they are worthy of a promotion.
    Lots of inappropriate behavior. Senior management is part of this problem.

Certain people get away with the same mistakes over and over and no one does anything about it.

I am giving career opportunities a low score because it depends on the network that person is in if you know what I mean.

Advice to Senior ManagementSomeone should take a closer look into what going on behind the scenes in IT.

Farfromgood

N/A (Former Employee)
    Corpus Christi, TX

ProsLarge global network of owned offices

ConsPoor management extremely fast to blame, extremely slow to aid

Not the ideal place to work at

Analyst (Former Employee)
    Long Beach, CA

ProsFriendly, some of the people are kind and humble

Consnot good team structure. They have no guidance as far as career path.

Great Place to Work?

Administration (Current Employee)

ProsYou learn how to survive in a very difficult Corporate Culture. The skills you learn during your experience at UTI will prepare you for anything.

ConsManagement never knows what is going on and tells the staff incorrect information so they are completing their work incorrectly then it shows up on your performance reviews. Cult-like environment and a total abuse of power by management. Home office has no idea what is going on in the campuses.

Advice to Senior ManagementHome office should be more aware of who and how leaders are running their campuses.

It's all about the Money!

Admissions Representative (Former Employee)
    Dallas, TX

ProsLoved not having to go into an office everyday. Loved helping students make career choices.

ConsNothing you did was enough. Always wanting you to do more and more. Management has no clue about the real world of dealing with 17 and 18 year old young men. Unrealistic expectations when it came to recruitment goals. "GOOD OL BOY" network still going on. If you don't like how things are going, don't say anything or you'll be kicked to the curb. Too many upper management! It's a joke!

Advice to Senior ManagementGet your head out and grab a clue as to how teenage boys want to be reached. The cost of an education at UTI, between 30k and 40k is ridiculous in this day and age!

It's a job

Norwood, MA

ProsI had a great supervisor
    They want to do the right thing

ConsToo many layers of management
    Too difficult and too much time to get things done
    Low pay
    As of Oct 2013 the health benefits are AWFUL

Advice to Senior ManagementActually listen to your people. HO management has these stupid phone meetings but penalizes people who speak the truth and offer good ideas to improve things. Top management has no clue what really goes on at the campus level.

Wonderful Employer! Great Company!

Admissions Representative (Former Employee)
    Phoenix, AZ

ProsExcellent management. Really listens to their team. Provided all the tools and training to be a successful Admissions Representative. Excellent promotion opportunities, great pay for hard work and results. Felt appreciated and justly compensated.

ConsHard work - but for the right person this can be a very fun and rewarding job. Only - and I mean *only* thing is I would have liked a few more vacation days.... Some other similar companies offer more vacation time.

Advice to Senior ManagementI know there are lots of ups and downs involved with education, financing, etc. so hang in there! I left to pursue a completely different career path and I truly miss this place! Could not ask for a better leader than Kim McWaters.

Worked for UTI? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at UTI reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for UTI CEO Kimberly J. McWaters. All 64 reviews posted anonymously by UTI employees.