UTI

Updated November 12, 2014
3.2

UTI CEO Kimberly J. McWaters
Kimberly J. McWaters

Pros
  • People at MMI are treated well and promotions ate based on merit and hard work (in 5 reviews)

• UTI treated its employees fairly and provided a nice work-life balance (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance does not exist (in 3 reviews)

• Management has no clue about the real world of dealing with 17 and 18 year old young men (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Good culture

I worked at UTI full-time

Pros

Worked at UTI 5+ years and had a very positive experience. There was a lot of opportunity for advancement and they truly care about a good work life balance. Work is challenging but satisfying.

Cons

UTI needs to continue to emphasize that they are all working towards the same goal and different teams and departments need to work better and more closely with each other to achieve them.

Great company, values

Former Employee - Admissions Representative in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Admissions Representative in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at UTI full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Culture, benefits, salary, people, giving back to community

Cons

Poor marketing and change of management

Look to see how the people in the front lines feel about management changes before doing so

Just OK

I worked at UTI full-time

Pros

Great to help the students

Cons

They need need better upper management

Universal Technical Institute Massachusetts

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I have been working at UTI full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I've been working at Universal Technical Institute for 5 years. Most employees are looking out for the best interest of UTI students and do all they can to contribute to their success.

Cons

Quantity is now the company focus not quality. The workload is unheard of and impossible to complete do to no direction, policies that change from day to day, passive leadership, horrible staff to student ratio, no training, and employees treated like robots. There is a Band-Aid approach to everything so the employees deal with a lot of negative feedback from students and parents. It is encouraged to discredit and scheme against your fellow employees to get ahead and to be the eyes and ears for Management. The more you cultivate these negative practices the closer you get with Management. Doesn't matter how much you over preform, how knowledgeable you are, or how many student/family positive feedback you get, if you are not “in the club” you will be discredited, shown no favor and shunned. Even if you are in the “club” you will not advance as there is no room for growth.

Get to know at least a little bit of what goes on in your campuses. There are managers conducting themselves in a way that is not in lined with the company's values or any company's values for that matter. Make sure leaders have the maturity, experience and credentials to carry out their job so that their conduct does not present a liability for your company. Management and upper level employees take the focus away from the student/family experience as well as any hope for a somewhat positive employee work-environment/experience. The focus is on negative office politics/practices, creating unnecessary policies, and placing blame/scapegoating the very employees who are implementing the policies/practices management and upper level employees put in place. Also please leave your offices for just a few minutes and actually speak to a student or parent and know how confusing, redundant, time consuming and burdensome it is to to get through administrative processes.

Great People

Current Employee - Director
    Current Employee - Director

I have been working at UTI full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Culture, People and fair pay.

Cons

Not much upward mobility within most areas.

Perform more skip-levels.

UTI was one of the best company's I have worked for in my professional life

I worked at UTI full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

UTI treated its employees fairly and provided a nice work-life balance. They delivered on their education and has a proven track record while also being recognized by their Accrediting Body (ACCSC) as a school of excellence designation in 2014. maintaining the high. The greatest part of UTI was the people.

Cons

There are not a lot of upward mobility unless willing to relocate to other campuses across the UTI network.

Culture Shock

I worked at UTI full-time

Pros

Staff was kind and down to earth

Cons

lack of consistent leadership and maturity

Soulless corporate entity.

Current Employee - Instructor
    Current Employee - Instructor

I have been working at UTI full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Paid snow days, the great students that are willing to learn and make their lives better. Access to shop equpment.

Cons

Benefits, benefits, and.... benefits! They have lost so many employees because of this reason alone in the last year than any other reason.

Fix your benefits and stop micromanaging!

Fun while it lasted

Former Employee - Admissions Representative
    Former Employee - Admissions Representative

I worked at UTI full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Cares about it's employees. Invests in the campus.

Cons

lead flow could be better

Excellent School

I worked at UTI full-time

Pros

The education your students get at UTI enables them to move into and excellent and promising career. The camaraderie is awesome as an employee and the pay and benefits are good.

Cons

Just like any admissions position... enrollments rule. When I was there, my Campus Director was more concerned about how many people I enrolled whether or not they started or completed the program. My retention rate was 98%. I usually hit my enrollment goal but when they drastically changed the lead policy I was let go.

When evaluating your reps, consider the bottom line and quality of enrollments, not just the number of students you get signed up. Enrollments don't put any beans on the table and last time I checked... UTI is a for-profit.

UTI Photos