UTStarcom

UTStarcom President & CEO Jack Lu

Jack Lu

Never ending Layoffs

ProsGood Tools, Good local team

ConsOver extended themselves in early 2000's and had nothing but product line sales and layoffs since.

Team in US was not respected and software developed in US was taken to create competing products in China including overall framework and individual features with no corresponding return of features

Management switched from a highly respectable Hong Lu to been counters concerned only with the stock price and not with product integrity and company productivity

Rather than leveraging two teams working on the same types of products they let them run independently resulting in neither product being a success.

Advice to Senior ManagementYour work is all in China now, might as well keep it that way.

Many missed opportunities.

Software Designer (Former Employee)
Chicago, IL

I worked at UTStarcom full-time for more than 3 years

ProsIt paid well, but was very frustrating, in that direction changed dramatically every few months.

ConsDifferent branches of the company often worked against each other.
No one criticized the company, or critiqued our performance. This was not openly discouraged by management, but it was also never, ever done.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more honest with employees.

Unsophisticated, not market-savvy, willing to cut corners

Vice President (Former Employee)

I worked at UTStarcom full-time for more than 3 years

ProsSome truly bright technical people who want to do the right thing. The video technology is truly unique and compelling.

Cons"Strategy" doesn't last longer than one quarter. Always chasing the buck, regardless of what it takes. The original founders are like Rasputin - they just won't go away.

Not satisfing

Senior Director (Current Employee)
Fremont, CA

I have been working at UTStarcom

ProsGood location hard working lower management.

ConsChineese management. Lies and deception

Advice to Senior ManagementCompany will shutdown if continued this way.

Very technically challenging and fast paced environment !

Team Lead (Former Employee)
Chicago, IL

Pros1. Regular Brainstorming sessions
2. No politics
3. Employee friendly
4. Accesible Management

Cons1. average Salary
2. Hard hit by recession

Frustrating

Senior Director (Current Employee)

I have been working at UTStarcom

ProsDecent pay, normal hours for type of business
Nice building
Decent benifits
Some good technology

ConsTotal lack of competance of management. Just look at how they ran the company into the ground. Could not decide what type of business they truely wanted to be in.
Did not utilize their aquisitions. Paid a lot of money and then squandered them away.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet your head out of the sand. Stop listining to people that only have a political agenda.

OK

I worked at UTStarcom

ProsMostly good people that I worked with

ConsShady upper management when I was there

Advice to Senior ManagementHope it is going better with different CEO

"interesting" while it lasted

Alameda, CA

I worked at UTStarcom

Pros* It was a consistent pay check

* Interesting core technologies

* Worked with some very nice people and explored two new cultures

ConsOn my first day, as I was being given the tour of buildings, I noticed a sign posted on an office that read "IRS Visitors". I wondered why the IRS would have a designated office. They were still occupying that office, when I left a few years later.

Only focused on the markets in China and India.

Advice to Senior ManagementFor the US team - Enjoy your parachutes

For the China team - Enjoy your flight back home and good luck

Run if you have any common sense..............

the Puppet Show (Former Employee)
Alameda, CA

I worked at UTStarcom

ProsOverall, the people at UTStarcom are great to work with from the U.S., India, China, Mexico, South America and Europe (excluding Senior Management). The pay and benefits are good compared to other companies in the same industry. If you are working for a good manager; it's a good place to work. However, if you have a BAD manager it could really suck......

ConsSenior Leadership (CEO,COO, CFO) put too much trust in senior management (Sr. VP, VP,etc..) to make personnel decisions and strategy during this tight economy. These are the same senior managers (Sr. VP, VP, etc.) who in most cases travel 80% of the time to meetings, outings, etc. on the company dime and the remaining 20% of the time working from home or attending to vacation.

So, how can they make an informed decision on personnel reductions; if they really don't know their own staff members within their organization and physically show up in the office.

In my opinion, the overall strategy is to off-shore all operations to China and India for pennies; while the Senior Leadership team cash in on stock and bonuses $$$$$$.......

I've seen very competent, educated and qualified employees being part of reduction in force because senior management is protecting and fostering personal relationships with selective employees; instead of making informed decisions for the best interest of the organization.

At the end of the day; if you out shine your senior management, you are consider a threat and would be terminated (Reduction in Force) or transfered out... However, if you are a person to take orders and never challenge or question management, this is the place for you to work and perhaps retire........

Advice to Senior ManagementYou really need to evaluate your HR team skill set and the frequent promotions handed out to a very selective group of individuals who are part of the good old boys network!! The ultimate question, "How can you sleep at night?" . Honestly, working in this organization is like a Soap Opera or being trapped in a love triangle between Sr. Management, HR, and the good old boy mafia...

Company in a death spiral near impossible to pull out of.

Product Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at UTStarcom

ProsInitially, there seemed to be a chance the UTStarcom could have been very successful, but that went away quickly.

ConsThe downside was that there was no vision with UTStarcom. There was no strategy except for the company to go from one flimsy venture to another. They let great products and great people go to waste. They did not recognize the bad leaders that led the company astray, as long as those people were able to toady up to the upper management and talk a good talk. And they did not recognize the leaders and the teams that delivered and brought success.

The management had too much hemming and hawing and despite their promises to improve the way things are done, they did no such thing. And UTStarcom never got out of being a China company. Working at UTStarcom, it was clear that the shots were being called from China.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement needs to get some balls. Instead of getting into just cutting people, take the talent, invest in the company, and look forward. Take a risk in a product line and make a concerted, long term strategy to succeed. IPTV is supposed to be the future of the company. I would not necessarily agree that it is the correct place to take the stand, but if you are going to take the stand, go all out. There are a LOT of problems with usability. Get some competent people who can address usability and if necessary, redo the whole interface. Address the other problems in the same way without worrying about the short term. Get all resources going on this. There's no use in having one foot in and one foot out.

Worked for UTStarcom? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at UTStarcom reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for UTStarcom CEO Jack Lu. All 27 reviews posted anonymously by UTStarcom employees.