UW Medicine

UW Medicine Reviews

Updated Jul 28, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Pros
  • State employees have great benefits but don't seem to care about the organization they work for (in 11 reviews)

• Steady secure employer with good benefits (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • low pay, terrible CEO just got fired (in 4 reviews)

• Upper management is pretty hard core (in 2 reviews)

More Highlights

Good to pay your rent

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsEasy to work, simple stuff, not challenging

ConsBoring, sometime doing a lot of repeat work

Such high hopes, but sadly disappointed

Patient Services Specialist (Former Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsGreat benefits offered, exciting work environments, and a leader in healthcare.

ConsTraining not sufficient, not ideal to travel to daily (took 4 hours daily for commute via Metro), advancement not easy to come by, and after you separate from employment they say it will take 6-8 weeks for your final benefits check to be processed and received (this was a lie as well, it took 10 weeks).

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to the needs of your employees. For goodness sakes they are the ones doing the tasks and most likely know what will be the best workflow to benefit the teams.

Very little room to grow

Lab Assistant (Former Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsEasy to get the job.

ConsSupervisor is not clear, and leave little room for students to grow.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A unique and exciting place to work in IT

Senior Computer Specialist (Current Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsI've never been board working with in the IT field at UW Medicine, there are always new and strange opportunities to expand my knowledge of systems and network administration. Other than salary they offer great benefits.

ConsIt is not the most competitive financial compensation place to work. There has been only one salary increase for pro staff employees since 2008 and that was in 2013.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up with financial compensation and more frequent salary increases or more IT staff will leave.

Difficult culture

Director (Current Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsState employees have great benefits but don't seem to care about the organization they work for. The location in Seattle is good. Many people work here and don't leave.

ConsLeaders and staff put their own personal interests ahead of the organization's well-being. This results in a very challenging and disappointing culture, which is often surprisingly hostile.

The environment lacks teamwork and communication is quite poor.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt would be helpful to support the mission of the organization and put this ahead of your career ambitions.

Great place with plenty of learning opportunities and career advancement

Manager (Current Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsDiversity at workplace and decent benefits are two things, UWMC is well Known for..
    Because of research in UWMC, you are always part of the cutting edge technology in all departments.
    What is not to like; at the end of your shift, you will always feel better that your day made someone and their family feel better.

ConsSometimes, you feel that there is no sense of urgency.

Top notch medical providers and great patient population, but horrible administration

Analyst (Former Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsThe patients you serve, doctors, nurses and staff who truly care about 'Patient's First." The history of the facilities. The contact with some extremely intelligent people who provide innovative and responsive medical care.

ConsThe administration who are so far removed from patient contact they could care less except for their status, salary and power. No personal growth opportunity. Expect 50 to 60 hours of work for 40 hours salary. (Administration does not manage the physicians or nurses btw). Administration does very little work except for holding meetings and reading email. Departments are compartmentalized and territorial.

Advice to Senior ManagementNext time the University needs to tighten its budget, why not have all the administrators that earn over $80K take a 10% salary cut, rather than squeeze it out of the workforce who are doing the work and demonstrating that "Patients are First".

Academic Setting Trauma 1 hospital

Nurse Practitioner (Current Employee) Seattle, WA

Prosgreat place to learn how to practice

Conslow pay, terrible CEO just got fired.

Advice to Senior ManagementWork collaboratively with the unions

UW ITS is great! Fair pay, great benefits, and accountability.

Senior Computer Specialist (Current Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsWithin ITS, your pay is based on your skill set and experience. I am paid appropriately for my level of experience. Also offers a pension type retirement plan. Not as good as older pension plans, but it is a monthly retirement check for the future.

ConsLarge scale, departmentalized IT group. You must work with many people to complete tasks. That said, most people I collaborate with are well qualified.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake lessons from the managers and directors that focus on employee development and team satisfaction. My director/manager is focused on helping me grow in my career. This helps the employee and the organization. The director/manager of Ancillary and Clinical Support Systems is doing an excellent job.

Contact Center Representative (Current Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsBenefits and compensation good on boarding and new hire training

ConsManagement style, unrealistic expecations good

Worked for UW Medicine? Contribute to the Community!