Uamc Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
3.3
James T. Timmons

1. I love this company great to work for if your not afraid to do your part! Lazy people need not apply!

Current Employee - Senior Processor in Clearwater, FL
    Current Employee - Senior Processor in Clearwater, FL

I have been working at Uamc full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Family like environment, beautiful office environment, when I got hired I felt like royalty. Every team has different feelings and expectations but I love my team, my manager is awesome, my teammates are awesome. Lot of training, huge pipeline so your always busy which is good you learn a lot. They have a lot of fun activities and lunches here and there and great coffee stations :)

Cons

Don't come to this job if you do not know how to process or think you will have an easy job this is only meant for someone who comes to work, no playing, no time to not pay attention our pipelines are huge I have over 50 loans I am working on now. If you get behind it will swallow you. Long hours but it isn't always. I also feel accountability with LO's or LPAs not doing there part is not enough.

Advice to Management

as you let us know you should constantly let the LPAs and the LOs understand our position of APAs in 30 days they get attitudes and give us hard time when we need something.. Otherwise I think Doug has it together along with the other managers I have more good to say then bad this company I hope to be with for a very long time :)

2. Underwriter

Current Employee - DE Underwriter in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - DE Underwriter in Tampa, FL

I have been working at Uamc full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Lots and lots and lots of overtime, and great food. Lots of food. Other departments try to make the workday fun.

Cons

Too much overtime,mandatory weekends;day after thanksgiving is a workday; arrogant, condescending management; not helpful, or friendly; no feedback throughout the year. No worklife balance;insuffiecient time off to recuperate. Sick days warrant a third degree & illegal questions. Micromanaged to death. No eating ice or carrots at your desk since it is too loud. No conversations with coworkers allowed. Can't take the alotted amount of breaks. Department mgr very inexperienced & does not know how to handle the staff. Promises made at time of hire are not kept. Company is making billions in profits, but not shared with the employees.

Advice to Management

Set reasonable service level agreements; understand that family, and needs of small children, elderly parents, will come first. Mandatory weekends merit some kind of bonus other than a $20.00 gift card or jeans day.

3. Lots of business, hectic work schedule

Former Employee - Loan Officer in Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Loan Officer in Tampa, FL

I worked at Uamc full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Plenty of business, so you're never starving
    -Base salary plus commissions, rare for loan officers
    -Company is large and growing, not struggling
    -Some of the managers are very knowledgeable and helpful (Julie/Shaun/Seth/Lisa)
    -New sales director in Tampa (Steve) seems to be making some great changes
    -Excellent group of high quality LOs, very professional people
    -Pricing flexibility, they do not lose deals
    -Excellent promotions like special financing rates
    -Amazing underwriting and management that will fight for your loans

Cons

-Communities are not in the city, often 1hr+ away which means a LOT of driving
    -Nearly always working 7 days a week, weekends are the busiest
    -Upper management makes it clear you do not matter
    -Fear/intimidation are used more than motivation and leadership
    -Need to close about 8 loans/month on average to make $100k
    -Low compensation on self-generated business

Advice to Management

The fear/intimidation culture seems to be carried down from the highest levels of management. This will never be an effective way to run an organization and is probably one of the only things holding back this otherwise excellent company.

5. Archaic management style

I have been working at Uamc

Pros

Only recommend if getting started in the industry or need something short term. Advancement opportunities are rare and work load will result in eventual burnout.

Cons

Very long hours with a huge pipeline to manage. Compensation is based on a metric designed to lower the LO's commission and boost corporate profits. This metric is often out your control depending on the HLA's and your territory. Typical day resulted in 10- 12 hours in office. Typically spent another 2-3 hours at home fielding phone calls and emails. Usually spent 4-6 hours a day working weekends. Compensation for this industry as a loan officer is very low considering the work load. Micro-management is typical. No praise is given for effort. If you are ever contacted by senior management it is to belittle your efforts and give a wrist slap. High turnover is typical. Company culture is focused on bottom line and profits with no regard to employee satisfaction.

6. Customer service is the only priority

Former Employee - Senior Loan Processor in Tempe, AZ
    Former Employee - Senior Loan Processor in Tempe, AZ

I worked at Uamc full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Extensive training with the changes in the industry

Cons

Giving your all is often not good enough

Advice to Management

Understanding that family should be their employees number one priority

7. Underwriter

I worked at Uamc full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Family/Team Atmosphere
    Management Support
    Effective Communications of Changes

Cons

Long Hours - especially at month end

Be Warned!!!!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Clearwater, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Clearwater, FL

I have been working at Uamc full-time (More than a year)

Pros

This is the mortgage company for the builder, Lennar; well established; been around for a long time; benefits are okay; competitive salary.

Cons

Managament needs to be re-vamped. Most likely, this will not happen due to long-working relationships between various members of management. Nepotism may also be rampant. Processors & Underwriters are over-worked due to unrealistic expectations. Operation Managers are rude & abrasive with no discipline for talking down to their co-workers. Management in underwriting is devisive, not confidential, unsupportive & constantly gossips to her friends & sets workers against each other. Working 24/7 to manage your pipleline is the norm; people work until past 9 pm daily & sometimes to the wee hours of the morning!!!! A weekend off is rare. Recognition for doing a good job or working 16 hr work day or giving up you weekend is also rare & when it does occur, it's for close colleages of the VP or the other managers. Email communication always include Sr Management & are mostly to slap you on the wrist or embarrass you.

Advice to Management

Think carefully about the people you appoint as managers & treat your employees fairly by creating a work-life balance. When your employees bend over backwards, reward them appropriately.

Very hectic and lots of pressure.

Former Employee - Mortgage Loan Processor in Clearwater, FL
    Former Employee - Mortgage Loan Processor in Clearwater, FL

I worked at Uamc

Pros

It all depends on if management likes you or not. If they do you are treated decent. If they don't your life is miserable

Cons

Some of the upper management were good but the ones at the top were rude, non-caring and used a lot of foul language. Could make you feel very small and inferior. One very good manager at the top. Overall, operated much like a sweat shop. High turnover.

Advice to Management

Tell the VP to retire or start treating people like human beings and not dogs. You catch more flies with honey than vinegar.

Great experience to grow in position

Former Employee - Home Loan Advisor in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Home Loan Advisor in Houston, TX

I worked at Uamc

Pros

Given a lot of latitude to make own decisions. Very ethical company. Pay is very fair.

Cons

Required to be on call 24/7. Can lead to burnout. Very stressful work environment.

Advice to Management

Spend time in field with HLA's to understand what their work climate is.

11. Better than most

Former Employee - Loan Processor in Tempe, AZ
    Former Employee - Loan Processor in Tempe, AZ

I worked at Uamc

Pros

Bonus structure was good, along with lots of overtime available
    Friendly work environment, coworkers were generally very easy to get along with

Cons

Micro management!! Daily status meetings on file got to be a bit ridiculous
    The amount of loans they made each person carry required lots of overtime, so balancing personal/work life was hard
    Underwriters could be less than friendly to deal with
    Promotions were very slow moving

Advice to Management

Work to promote from within more
    Recongize hard workers more