Uber Reviews

Reset
4.5
Uber CEO, Founder Travis Kalanick
Travis Kalanick

Pros
  • The environment is genuinely fast paced -- just look at how many cities we have launched in 2014 (in 18 reviews)

• Impactful work - you are literally changing the world (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance may be a deal breaker for some (in 47 reviews)

• Long hours; the office is growing very quickly (starts to lose the feel of being a small/scrappier company) (in 33 reviews)

1. Featured Review

Rocket Ship

Current Employee - Product Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Product Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Uber full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Super talented people are flocking to Uber from the Bay Area's top tech companies - Things move so much faster here than anywhere else I've worked - you'll be able to get much more done - Legitimately changing the world

Cons

- Long hours (but if they feel like work, you're doing something wrong)

Advice to Management

- Keep up the focus on making a great product, ignore the haters.

2. #Superpumped

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Uber

Pros

Working at Uber is exhilarating and rewarding. The company is full of the sharpest people I've met, people are #superpumped to go to work, and the management is communicative and inspiring. It's honestly so fun to come to work!

Cons

Although the work is worth it, the hours are super long!

Changing the World

Current Employee - Product Operations Specialist in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Product Operations Specialist in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Uber

Pros

Pros - Legitimately changing the world. In the last 3 months alone (i've been here 18), I've launched changes that allow any deaf person globally to have a new source of income. - Work doesn't feel like work (and if it does you're doing it wrong) - Amazing people. Seriously talented, influential, entrepreneurial yet casual people I love working with and consider my friends. - Right answer wins - Land of Opportunity. So many cool opportunities available as we grow. The right people find them and thrive here. - Unlimited leave and casual atmosphere

Cons

None I can think of

Advice to Management

- Keep the bar as high as it is and only hire more super talented people

A phenomenal team united behind an inspiring mission

Current Employee - Engineering Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Engineering Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Uber

Pros

+ Incredibly ambitious mission provides countless product opportunities and engineering challenges. + The engineering team is a melting pot that includes numerous veterans from top-tier technology companies, such as Apple, Google, and Facebook, and the culture borrows from the best aspects of each. + There's a pervasive habit of transparency and honest, often critical self-reflection, with an aim of always improving oneself and one's peers. Real change comes swiftly when there are problems. + Teams are organized to be small and autonomous so that every engineer can have an outsized impact. + Things move quickly and the team and business are growing rapidly. There's ample opportunity to make a dent and advance your career. + Enjoy the impact of working at a small, fast-moving startup with the reach and security of a multi-billion dollar industry giant.

Cons

- The growth of the team has times outpaced the growth of processes and support staff. Every so often you encounter a problem you'd expect a company of this size and impact to have solved. - The downsize of the fast-moving, autonomous teams is that coordinating across teams can be a challenge. - Headed in the right direction, but there's a long way to go in terms of workforce diversity.

Advice to Management

Keep up the culture of humility and self-reflection! Stop relying so heavily on personal networks and referrals to fuel the exponential growth of the engineering team.

6. Fantastic company with super strong growth potential

Current Employee - Senior Data Scientist in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Data Scientist in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Uber

Pros

- Great culture values (innovative, fierceness, hustling, superpumpedness, teamwork...) - Strong senior leadership, especially with a visionary and down-to-earth CEO - Data driven, facts-based operational process - Very fast-paced, strong bias towards action - Awesome people

Cons

- Multiple office buildings can cause some fragmentation

7. Bring it or go home.

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer

I have been working at Uber full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Uber is absolutely phenomenal. I was initially concerned about joining, simply due to a lot of the negativity surrounding the brand. Almost three months in and I can tell you unequivocally that Uber is *the* unicorn and if you want to work here, you better be too.

Cons

It's a massive startup, so just know what you're getting into.

Advice to Management

I can add nothing of value. This team is leading us to victory.

8. A Great Place to Work [July 2015]

Current Employee - Software Engineer
    Current Employee - Software Engineer

I have been working at Uber full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- there is an unlimited amount of cool stuff to do, yet there is also work-life balance, if you want it. - the antithesis of an "Office Space" culture. - feels like a startup, probably thanks to the tight-nit city teams, in a way that normal tech companies don't.

Cons

- none at the moment.

9. Love it!

I have been working at Uber full-time

Pros

Fast paced culture that promotes innovation. Smart and passionate coworkers. Nurtures employees and focuses on their development.

Cons

Frequent org changes as the company continues to grow.

Advice to Management

Maintain the current culture as the company continues to grow.

10. Reshaping the future

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Uber

Pros

- There are few other places where you get a chance to make such a huge impact on people's everyday lives. - Uber has an army of the smartest, most driven individuals giving their 100% towards the mission of reliable safe transportation. Success is not surprising, its the obvious outcome.

Cons

- When you're tackling the toughest problems in the world, don't expect it to be easy. Work at Uber is hard and requires a lot of focus. Stress is common but its the nature of the beast.

Advice to Management

Uber has never cared for the naysayers, keep it up.

11. found my happy place

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Uber full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

my engineering team has an excellent technical level. I'm learning a lot. We have great discussions. Lots to do too, and many opportunities to do super high-impact work. At a macro level, we are doing something important and valuable - taking cars off the roads, creating hundreds of thousands of jobs, enabling passengers with more transportation options.

Cons

uber is one of the most scrutinized companies in the world. it's also a very convenient villain, and misconceptions abound. Politicians get exposure by opposing uber, and some find there is more to gain by doing so than by serving the interest of their constituents. This can be frustrating. My internal (and informed!) view of uber is very different from what i can read about it.

Advice to Management

Don't do dinner with people who will misquote you the next day. make the brand more approachable. uber is no longer an exclusive service for the rich. help cities achieve better planning through our data science.

RSS Feed </> Embed