Uber Reviews

Updated August 27, 2014
Updated August 27, 2014

3.3

Travis Kalanick

Pros
  • Meeting great people, making money weekly and getting paid weekly (in 3 reviews)

• Really great work environment and great people (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Also, it's true that the Uber rating system is flawed (in 10 reviews)

• I mean being a bonified taxi driver does have it's cons like being a taxi driver picking up drunk people other than that (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Incredible company! The world's best job

Current Employee - Customer Support Representative  in  Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Customer Support Representative in Washington, DC

I have been working at Uber full-time for less than a year

Pros

I've been at Uber for about a month now as a customer service rep. There isn't a lot of info about this new role online, so hopefully this helps! Taking this job was one of the absolute best decisions I have ever made; I get to work from home 100% of the time, I pretty much get to make my own schedule, the work is enjoyable, and management rules!

You can really judge a company pretty heavily on how their leadership team asks, I have experienced nothing but positivity from my manager and from all of the senior people who work for corporate. Work-life balance is incredible. I finally have time to engage in my hobbies and spend time with my family. I am no longer exhausted from my daily commute when I get home! I can see myself with this company for a long time. Other perks include:

-Occasional Uber credits for free rides
    -Uber swag
    -Weekly paychecks/direct deposit!
    -A dream schedule! Wanna work nights? Work nights! Mornings? You've got it.

Cons

The pros certainly outweigh the cons in my opinion, but obviously this role might not be for everyone.
    -Benefits are terrible, mainly because they're through another company.
    -Salary is a bit low and everyone is issued the same rate.
    -No paid time off, paid holidays, or vacations. Again, one downside to being apart of a brand new team.
    -Everything is done remotely from trainings to timesheet. If you aren't tech savvy this is not the job for you.

Keep up the good work! Offer more opportunities for promotion/growth and please get better benefits for us :).

Driving around town.

Current Employee - Uber Driver  in  Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Uber Driver in Denver, CO

I have been working at Uber as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

Uber allows for flexibility and independence. Drivers offer great customer service and drive when they want. The requirements of the position are simple. Keep a clean and safe car, know your city and how to get around, be an excellent driver, offer your passengers water, communicate respectfully, use the app, etc. Keep up insurance, vehicle inspections and health inspections. It is fun to meet new people everyday. It's fun learning more about the city and all the cool places to experience.

Cons

Demand for Uber is greatest during the evening hours. Uber keeps adding various fees and adjusting the payment percentages. You can make a lot of money, but it is not consistent from one day to the next. There is no base pay to compensate for the drive time to and from pick up locations. We are supposed to deny tips by saying they are not required. There isn't a process for giving tips through the app.

Don't let expansion distract you from making the experience of working for Uber a great deal in itself. Firm up minimum fees per ride, offer base pay after X many rides, create a tip feature in the app for drivers who earn 5 stars, create more community events and organize more driver meetings. While flexibility is fantastic, it is actually consistency that will keep drivers driving. You want your drivers to say, why would I ever go back to X, I am an Uber Driver!

5 star rating is not fair to drivers

Current Employee - Uber Partner  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Uber Partner in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Uber part-time for less than a year

Pros

Picking own time, service upon requests, best smile.

Cons

5 star rating give a lot of headache to the drivers. Most passengers don't know that drivers have their lives and families behind them. After all give 5 stars to all Uber drivers, so they can keep their job and gain more experiences while they driving for Uber.

Many drivers are worried they will lose their job. Please reconsider about 5 star ratings. Passengers are passengers they don't care about drivers and their families behind them.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great company to work for!

I have been working at Uber

Pros

Cutting edge, disruptive, innovative, creative company.
    An awesome work culture.
    It's an exciting place to work. People at Uber are passionate, talented and creative. The Leadership is passionate and has vision, and they are very transparent. The company cares about employees and works hard to keep them engaged and happy. We work hard and play hard, get ready to hustle. Benefits are great!

Cons

It is still a start up but it is one of the best places I've ever worked for, and the resources are great.

Keep being transparent with employees
    Keep innovating

Great place to work!

Current Employee - Driver  in  Cleveland, OH
    Current Employee - Driver in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at Uber as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

Work when I want, make over $500 a week with less than 20 hours of work. Great for college students.

Cons

Customers rate you and sometimes rate wrong or unfairly. I wish there was a way to know in advance how many people I am picking up at one time.

Please add a tip option for the Cleveland, OH area

A fast-paced, motivating environment where everyone hustles

Current Employee - Community Operations Manager
    Current Employee - Community Operations Manager

I have been working at Uber full-time for less than a year

Pros

Everyone here is not only committed to the vision of the company, but they're committed to discovering that vision in cases where we're dealing with new territories or fresh projects for the business. The culture is experimental, empowering, and everyone in the room is smarter than you. If you see a gap or have an idea for how to optimize a process, you can act on your solution if you can justify why it's worth trying. Push back is always solicited and no one worries about stepping on toes -- it's all good, because we all know that the best idea wins. You're privy to a great deal of data and knowledge about what the company is up to, which creates a real sense of buy-in and ownership over what we're building.

Cons

As expected, it's a fast-paced environment. You feel like you're constantly behind, so you need to know how to channel that stress into motivation and productive energy. Work-life balance is tough, but it's because everyone loves the cool things they get to do so much that they don't want to stop doing them.

Keep doing what you're doing. Keep the culture transparent, keep the trust among the employees, keep empowering us to run with our ideas. Be more vocal about encouraging us to take time to focus on our health, wellness, and life outside of Uber every once in a while.

Driving doesn't get much more rewarding.

Current Employee - Driver  in  Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Driver in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at Uber as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

Freedom of schedule. Good pay. Great apps. Quick and regular pay schedules.

Cons

Very hot and cold in terms of work. Sometimes there are a lot of fares, others very few.

Keep improving user experience.

Uber is an outstanding company that values employees/contractors!

Current Employee - Community Support Representative  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Community Support Representative in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Uber full-time for less than a year

Pros

Flexible schedules for remote employees, great leadership, outstanding training and support, fun work environment

Cons

This position is temporary. This is a new position, so we must adapt to changes/updates quickly. It's a learning experience for everyone.

None at this time.

WAS considering working for Uber

Current Employee - Trained  in  Manhattan Beach, CA
    Current Employee - Trained in Manhattan Beach, CA

I have been working at Uber full-time for less than a year

Pros

Good idea but bad management & ownership

Cons

horrible treatment to employees. ..This company sounds very greedy!

to owners. .not management. fix your company or I'll start a better one & put you out of business. you can't even handle con remarks & listen to your employees. you're not going to last! looks like maybe you don't care about lasting.

Great work place at least at HQ. Different cities and driver might have a very different experience

Current Employee - Software Engineer  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Uber full-time for less than a year

Pros

I was surprised about the amount of smart to very smart people working here. The company culture makes it so everybody learns from each other, and at least for my software engineer position, it makes the job much more interesting. Compensation is not competitive for the bay, but people bet on the stocks, and if you believe in it, it is a game changer in comparison with higher salaries you could get somewhere else.
    My favorite part is that most people ( if not all ? ) are truly passionate about what they're doing here and we thrive with the belief that we're making a difference for people.
    Perks are better than what they sound like during the interview.

Cons

This company requires a LOT of work. I'm not talking about startup like, you will get emails at any time of day or night, week days and weekends. Some of them you will be expected to respond. It looks fine for most people because everybody is very involved in what they're doing, so most people don't seem to care, but I wouldn't be surprised if some burn out quickly.
    The company is also growing at a fast rate, which makes it difficult to know if things are still gonna be as good in the future ( so far so good though... )

Make sure to control our growth internally to pursue our external growth properly.

Worked for Uber? Contribute to the Community!