Uber

Updated Jul 8, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Travis Kalanick

Great work place at least at HQ. Different cities and driver might have a very different experience

Software Engineer (Current Employee)
    San Francisco, CA

ProsI was surprised about the amount of smart to very smart people working here. The company culture makes it so everybody learns from each other, and at least for my software engineer position, it makes the job much more interesting. Compensation is not competitive for the bay, but people bet on the stocks, and if you believe in it, it is a game changer in comparison with higher salaries you could get somewhere else.
    My favorite part is that most people ( if not all ? ) are truly passionate about what they're doing here and we thrive with the belief that we're making a difference for people.
    Perks are better than what they sound like during the interview.

ConsThis company requires a LOT of work. I'm not talking about startup like, you will get emails at any time of day or night, week days and weekends. Some of them you will be expected to respond. It looks fine for most people because everybody is very involved in what they're doing, so most people don't seem to care, but I wouldn't be surprised if some burn out quickly.
    The company is also growing at a fast rate, which makes it difficult to know if things are still gonna be as good in the future ( so far so good though... )

Advice to Senior ManagementMake sure to control our growth internally to pursue our external growth properly.

Love the work you do.

Community Operations Manager (Current Employee)
    Washington, DC

ProsWork with smart people in a challenging, fast paced, and fun environment - working here is life changing.

The people I work with are now some of my closest friends. They are without a doubt some of the most passionate, brilliant, hard working individuals I have had a privilege to know. On top of they are people that I truly care about and feel truly care about me - everyone is rooting for one another to succeed.

I could not imagine a company that has inspired me to learn more, be better, and push harder. I feel ownership over the work that I do and the growth that I see in the company. Everyday is a new experience, a new problem to solve, or a new question to answer.

The work/life balance is challenging, but people have fun and have a sense of humor. People share interests, spend time together outside of the office, and celebrate hard work. We're obsessed with Uber - it's a requirement.

ConsAs much a pro as it is a con - there is a degree of uncertainty in working here. The company is changing fast and if you're not ready for it, you can get whiplash.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep it up! We have a transparent and open culture, it's unlike any other place in the world.

perfect opportunity for extra income!

UberX Driver (Current Employee)
    Cleveland, OH

Pros-Virtually all the passengers I've had as a driver have been pleasant and great to talk to, and none of them have earned less than 5 stars in my book.
    -Pay is great. I have the car already, I have the free time, and I get 40 MPG highway, so it is a nice way to earn extra cash.
    -I get a great feeling of satisfaction from being a top driver for the best transportation service around.
    -Set own hours.

Cons-The car I use is the first new vehicle I've ever owned, and I'm probably putting extra wear and tear on it by driving the rough Cleveland streets.
    -The app has crashed on me a couple of times when trying to accept a ride request, which caused me to lose out, and who knows what happened to the driver.
    -Have to carry two phones when driving for Uber, whereas Lyft uses the same app for drivers and riders. The app also does not show a picture of the car (like Lyft does), and when a person chooses a specific business for pickup, it just shows me the address, which I may not be familiar with.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet a driver app for Android running soon please.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Best job I've ever had

UberX Driver (Current Employee)
    Atlanta, GA

ProsWork your own hours, all riders are happy as the Uber brand is such a comfort to those who have been let down by other taxi services, comfort of driving your own vehicle, meet interesting people, find out great places to go in your own city you never knew about, love the accountability by the star rating system, incredibly fun to see the company grow and just can't mention enough how excited everyone who gets into my vehicle is to have the opportunity to use Uber in Atlanta!! Love it!!!

Consmine is on me as my vehicle is not efficient on gas ... as for Uber, can't really think of any unless there was a category for luxury SUV's that was around the UberBlack status

Advice to Senior ManagementI would like to see Uber get another option to ride share by having UberRideShare along UberX, UberBlack & UberSUV. That way the rider could get his/her vehicle home. I have been an Uber driver for over 4 months and have yet to use it as I always drive my vehicle out. In addition, I wonder if there was a way to partner up with the new braves stadium opening to maybe be a sponsor of a parking lot which would have a waiting area for Uber drivers when they leave the game. Same goes for new Falcons stadium.

Growing company, fantastic work environment

Software Engineer (Current Employee)
    San Francisco, CA

ProsIt's not like Uber is some sort of charity, but we still feel like we're affecting the world with what we do here. In a city like San Francisco, where it was nearly impossible to find a taxi cab in the past, democratizing the transportation landscape is incredibly exciting and fulfilling. The great news is the work environment is also game-changing. Everyone is working hard, towards a purpose that goes past twice-monthly paychecks.

ConsThere are growing pains, absolutely. With a seemingly never-ending customer base that grows by the hour, keeping our systems up to date and working correctly is a challenge. When new initiatives are pushed through, the workload can be a bit taxing.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep hiring engineers. The teams you've created are working wonders, but there's a potential for people to get overworked. Otherwise, keep doing what you do. The culture is great, and clearly this is a service people are excited to use.

Uber is a great startup company. Uber gives an opportunity to those unemployed or looking for additional income.

Uber Partner (Current Employee)
    Chicago, IL

ProsYou are your own boss.

ConsCar depreciation. The more a driver works the more miles add up on his vehicle.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement communicates very well. The drivers know exactly what is expected.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Exciting, Fast-Paced & Full of Opportunities

General Manager (Current Employee)

Pros1. Opportunity to build a brand
    2. Global Culture leading to a lot of learning
    3. Best of minds working together

Cons1. Lots of work but then a start up demands one

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep innovating & taking the company to the vision.

Love my coworkers

San Francisco, CA

ProsVery open community, transparency, still in development but have resources to do what we need

ConsGrowing extremely quickly so I hope we maintain the culture, openness

Uber driver

Uber Driver (Current Employee)

ProsGreat hours

Great customers most of the time

ConsNone

I like working for Uber

Advice to Senior ManagementAbility to see ratings for the day worked

Uber takes care of it's employees

Community Manager (Current Employee)
    Chicago, IL

ProsWork never feels like work. You get to shape your own successes and watch the impact directly. Managers and colleagues feel more like family. The company takes care of you.

ConsIt's not a 9-5. Work bleeds into your night and weekends.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work.

Worked for Uber? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Uber reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Uber CEO Travis Kalanick. All 45 reviews posted anonymously by Uber employees.