Uber

Updated March 3, 2015
3.4

Uber CEO, Founder Travis Kalanick
Travis Kalanick

Pros
  • Uber brings in a culture that allows for innovation and fast paced development (in 18 reviews)

• Impactful work - you are literally changing the world (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Not getting bored means you have to take care of your own work/life balance (in 47 reviews)

• Long hours though you will hardly notice as the work is very exciting (in 33 reviews)

More Highlights

Great startup

I have been working at Uber

Pros

passion, opportunites, creativity, thinking, ideas

Cons

complexity, procedure, no, no, no

keep your faith! we will win!

Not so great for drivers

I worked at Uber

Pros

The ability to work when you want, and actually meet cool people in your neighborhood.

Cons

They keep lowering their rates, and now its at the point where you have to drive 16 hours just to make decent money. They also make their bonus offers to drivers way too far out of reach. They send you the bonus offer and you have the instant reflex of laughing at the email, and deleting it.

Treat your drivers better, like Lyft.

Good part-time gig with flexible hours.

Former Freelancer - Driver in San Jose, CA
    Former Freelancer - Driver in San Jose, CA

I worked at Uber

Pros

-set your own hours
    -good pay during rush hour and friday/saturday nights.
    -opportunity to meet interesting people and make connections.

Cons

-rate cuts to compete with Lyft
    -they consider drivers independent contractors instead of employees
    -the partner website is not as good as it used to be

Management needs to consider the drivers as employees instead of independent contractors. Also stop cutting prices to compete with Lyft or else the quality of drivers will decrease.

They fool you with their laid back company culture after you're hired.

Former Contractor - Community Support Representative in Atlanta, GA
    Former Contractor - Community Support Representative in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Uber as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

The pay was great. I was started at $15.00 hourly, but I heard from some people who were hired after me that the starting pay was reduced to $12.00 hourly. Another perk is there is no phone number, so all interaction with clients and drivers was via e mail.

Cons

Ineffective management, lack of consistency regarding company policies, lack of work due to over scheduling, and technical issues that impacted productivity were ignored.

Train your managers better! Don't just hire someone and throw them into the job head first. My manager was someone who was a CSR prior to being promoted to a manager and he was dumb as a box of rocks! My teammates and I used to have to hound him to get help and most times there was still no resolution for the issue(s). All he knew how to do was pressure us to have high productivity but had no real clue how to help us do that when needed.

Flexible hours and decent pay.

Former Freelancer - Uber Driver in Athens, GA
    Former Freelancer - Uber Driver in Athens, GA

I worked at Uber

Pros

You make your own hours and make 80% of fares and get to meet lots of people.

Cons

You may have to deal with obnoxious customers, but for the most part many of the customers are very pleasant.

Beware of UBER

Former Freelancer - Uber Driver
    Former Freelancer - Uber Driver

I worked at Uber (less than a year)

Pros

none what so ever except paying uber to work for them

Cons

was a uber driver from July 14 to Jan 15. Somewhere during that time in Dec 14 i became aware that I was possibly infected with TB from a passenger. I was clean in Jan/Feb of 14 based on my chest xrays. I notified UBER in Dec 14 about my TB infection and asked them to notify all the people who rode with me. There is pin drop silence from UBER until this point. Another thing I noticed UBER drivers do not carry commercial insurance on their personal cars while transporting passengers, god forbid you are in a accident you are on your own. UBER will stand behind you as far as they can. Obnoxious kids in UBER office. My suggestion for the sake of your own health and your family's well being stay away from uber or lyft or sidecar. By the way I had a great rating from passengers. About 85% were great customers and the rest 15% were customers from hell, the kind of people who should not be in anyone's car.
    I had a woman customer cutting her nails in my car and leaving it for me to cleanup.
    I can tell a few horror stories from a time when a women in somerville was slamming my car doors and calling me a terrorist.. Stay away from uber. Lyft or Sidecar these are taxi companies without safety or insurance regulations. You have been warned by a person who was there as for my TB since I was a partner and not an employee I have no workers comp insurance or unemployment. I was deactivated in UBER parlance, which means i was terminated. You can visit my Facebook page. I was based in Boston ma.

make sure uber drivers have workers compensation and unemployment

Drivers Are Slaves

Former Freelancer - Uber Driver in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Freelancer - Uber Driver in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Uber

Pros

You make your own hours. Which you can do with MANY other gigs. Just put the time into looking for them. This is not a good one.

Cons

Everything. You earn less than minimum wage when you calculate gas, etc. plus you're driving your own car into the ground. Not to mention you are letting unpredictable strangers into your personal property and space. A lot of pressure to please the customer even though the company enforces no tips. The pressure comes from fear of being poorly rated rather than working towards a reward. I stopped driving for them after a few weeks. Any other intelligent person would do the same. Don't let this company turn you and your car into a slave for them to continue to grow richer on.

Stop telling people to not tip. Add a tip option to your app. People will be more inclined to give great service when working for a reward rather than out of fear. Raise fares to a acceptable level. You don't have to be 40%+ cheaper than taxis in order to be competitive. Stop being manipulative and trying to confuse your drivers with "gauranteed hourly wages" and lines like "more customers = more money". If someone if driving every minute of the hour... Which will happen with "more customers"... Neither your rates nor minimum hourly wage is enough for a fair payout when your gas and car deprication is factored in.

Be careful of 5 star reviews of UBER they are more than likely bogus reviews.

Current Freelancer - Uber Driver in Orlando, FL
    Current Freelancer - Uber Driver in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Uber

Pros

Can work when you want if you want

Cons

When they open a market they suck in drivers with high fares like $1.50 to $3.00 per mile and you try it and make great money. Then when they have the market operating for several months they drop the rates and you make no money. Many areas went from $1.50 to 75 cents a mile.

You will eventually run out of drivers as they figure out they are losing money.

Very good

Current Freelancer - Driver in Miami, FL
    Current Freelancer - Driver in Miami, FL

I have been working at Uber

Pros

If you lost any job you can do uber

Cons

Be with strange people every day

We are supposed to be subcontractors but they continue to tell customers not to tip us. They keep lowering our fare.

Current Employee - Uber Driver in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Uber Driver in Tampa, FL

I have been working at Uber full-time (less than a year)

Pros

You can work when you want to. They are prompt to pay us on thursday. They answer emails sometimes the same day I send them.

Cons

The only way for us to contact anyone is by email. Customers can't even contact no one only by email. No way to advance at company.

Let customers tip with there credit cards like lyft does. Open up a phone or two and talk to customers and employees.

Uber Photos

Use Uber to get around town safely, quickly, and efficiently.
Uber can be used anytime, anywhere, in over 200 major cities around the world.

+ Add Photo