Uber Reviews in San Francisco, CA

Updated October 16, 2014
Updated October 16, 2014

Travis Kalanick

Pros
  • Get to meet new people especially cute girls (in 4 reviews)

• Flexible schedule, easy to start, dangerous and stressful job (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • I Don't Like The Rating System Cause i Cant Tell what people have rated me (in 15 reviews)

• Long hours make work life balance challenging (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

13 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

OK but needs a lot of improvement

Current Employee - Remote Customer Support Agent in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Remote Customer Support Agent in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Uber as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

You're a contractor but they pay you pretty good money for the type of work you're doing which is pretty much answering email from drivers and riders. You work fulltime hours and get paid weekly so it's good extra money. You are eligible for some medical benefits but it's not that great as you still have to pay for it. I chose to get my own insurance. The best part of this job is that you can work from home. It's supposed to be a 9 month contract with the option to extend. They do ask for feedback alot with surveys so that's good.

Cons

The constant change in policies and procedures is annoying. I understand that it's a start up but at some point you need to establish standards to follow. CSRs are constantly asking eachother on their chat room if what they're doing is correct because the company constantly changes things on you. So you may be doing something one way for awhile and then get counseled that it's wrong. One manager may tell you one thing, then another may tell you another. Every information disbursed is either via constant email updates, on their incomplete employee website or on various spreadsheets on Google docs are some off links at weebly. They do have video conferences, but that information is quickly forgotten. For an 18 Billion dollar company, there should be one platform for everything. Speaking of platform, their account tools is slow and buggy. They have no main phone line so alot of disgruntled drivers/riders who have to wait sometimes for weeks to hear anything back. Scheduling can be crazy depending on what region you are in. Some regions allow agents to choose their own schedules, while others expect you to work crazy hours. Managers get rotated through, so you can find yourself with a new manager every other month. CSRs in the first level are limited to what they are able to do, yet they are expected to maintain a quota of tickets per hour which is ridiculous considering you end up having to "escalate" an issue and then that counts against you even if you spent time working on a ticket. As for escalations, they have too many groups for different duties. For instance, you may have two different groups handling referral payments and regular payments (salary). In other words, it's disorganized! Transparency is not the best.

You need to open a call center period, or have something set up like how Ebay and Amazon do it. Decide what policies are going to stick and make that the standard. Put it up on the website for reference. Have a directory of phone numbers and contact information for your agents to share with drivers and riders. Email updates are fine but put all policy related issues on your website! Have a better metric system for measuring agent performance other than how many tickets they complete. The key is to keep the drivers and riders happy. What good is it if you just hurry up and close out a ticket just to meet your quota and you still have a POd driver/rider? Fix your software it's unreliable.

Smartest people you will meet

Former Employee - Senior Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Uber full-time (more than an year)

Pros

As a full time employee, the perks are great; competitive wage, monthly stipend, lots of drinking. It is a very fun and party-oriented culture.

Cons

In the operations side, there is a kool-aid like culture. Everyone thinks as a collective and rejects any outside thoughts without consideration. Fortunately, engineering is not like that but engineers don't make all the business decisions.

With rapid growth, there is starting to become cracks in communication between organizations. Patch those up and you will be golden.

Hypergrowth company maintaing start-up culture

I have been working at Uber full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Hardworking people working on very impactful stuff; still in its early days and the upside is tremendous; new headquarters is very nice and offers typical tech benefits

Cons

Hours are pretty bad which stems from the hardworking nature of management team; small growing pains as the company doesn't have some of the processes and resources required for a more mature company

Reward top performing employees; encourage people to take some time off and unwind/detach when not at work

Aggressive, and perhaps misdirected

Former Employee - Recruiting Specialist in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Recruiting Specialist in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Uber as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Compensation (albeit not great) and a relaxing work atmosphere add up to an attractive package, and there are nice perks like a stocked kitchen.

Cons

Talent development seems to be lacking as a result of young and inexperienced leadership. The internal culture is nascent at best and training is not much of a part of whatever communication structure they are promoting.

Evaluate. Prioritize. Organize. Communicate.
    Uber's purpose in its surrounding economy serves as an illustration of potential for socio-economic mobility, and so it would best serve the market it has attempted to dominate with a motivation other than money. Most people will start with Uber, if they can, but long-lasting success will depend on the pervasiveness of a transparent and informative culture openly embracing a dependency on computer automation.

Great work place at least at HQ. Different cities and driver might have a very different experience

I have been working at Uber full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I was surprised about the amount of smart to very smart people working here. The company culture makes it so everybody learns from each other, and at least for my software engineer position, it makes the job much more interesting. Compensation is not competitive for the bay, but people bet on the stocks, and if you believe in it, it is a game changer in comparison with higher salaries you could get somewhere else.
    My favorite part is that most people ( if not all ? ) are truly passionate about what they're doing here and we thrive with the belief that we're making a difference for people.
    Perks are better than what they sound like during the interview.

Cons

This company requires a LOT of work. I'm not talking about startup like, you will get emails at any time of day or night, week days and weekends. Some of them you will be expected to respond. It looks fine for most people because everybody is very involved in what they're doing, so most people don't seem to care, but I wouldn't be surprised if some burn out quickly.
    The company is also growing at a fast rate, which makes it difficult to know if things are still gonna be as good in the future ( so far so good though... )

Make sure to control our growth internally to pursue our external growth properly.

Uber is an outstanding company that values employees/contractors!

Current Employee - Community Support Representative in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Community Support Representative in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Uber full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Flexible schedules for remote employees, great leadership, outstanding training and support, fun work environment

Cons

This position is temporary. This is a new position, so we must adapt to changes/updates quickly. It's a learning experience for everyone.

None at this time.

Not all it's cracked up to be

Current Employee - Remote Community Success Representative in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Remote Community Success Representative in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Uber full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The only pro is that it's a work from home job that is non-phone and it pays better than most work from home jobs. I would add that the job is relatively easy, but that could also make the work mind numbing.

Cons

I feel that as far as the remote customer service team goes, those in leadership positions are flying by the seat of their pants. Ask two managers the same thing and you are likely to get two different answers. No consistency with scheduling or flexibility. Your experience with scheduling will depend on your manager. Some want you to be available when they say, regardless of your other obligations, while other managers have respect for work-life balance. In addition, there are way too many 12-hour shifts scheduled. This is unacceptable to me. 12-hour shifts should be reserved for those who volunteer and should be rewarded appropriately. If no-one steps up then figure something else out. Scheduling 12-hour shifts shows no regard to the employee.

For the remote customer service position, we were trained for two weeks, which is sufficient. However, after that you are pretty much left to the wolves. They say you are free to ask questions, but everyone is literally ghost once you end training. They have a chat system that is for the birds! During training it seems great. However, you will ask a question once you are on "the floor" and will get crickets. You will ping a manager for help and get crickets! Then when you look up, the manager has logged out of the chat system. Really?!! So then your only resort is to email a manager and their response is that email is not a good way to get help. How the heck am I supposed to get help when a manager is not around to chat or they ignore my chats?? I understand that not all managers are available 24-7 but the ones that are need to respond. And I shouldn't be chastised for seeking other resources. I'm not sure what I expected, the team leads (most of them, not all) seem rather robotic and boring. Seems like they may not like their jobs, this would explain no one going out of their way to help.

If you've been working low-paying jobs then you may put up with these issues, but this is really only a decent salary and I've made more than double what they in a previous career. But I can see how this might seem fantastic to those who have only made a minimum wage salary. My suggestion is to do Uber if you need to, but move on to greener pastures when it's time.

We are human and have lives outside of Uber. Figure out a way to make the schedule conducive to a healthy work-life balance. No one wants to work 12 hours on Thursday, Friday and Sunday. That's insane!! Lastly, please train your community managers to be community managers and not leave us hanging after training.

Growing company, fantastic work environment

I have been working at Uber full-time (less than an year)

Pros

It's not like Uber is some sort of charity, but we still feel like we're affecting the world with what we do here. In a city like San Francisco, where it was nearly impossible to find a taxi cab in the past, democratizing the transportation landscape is incredibly exciting and fulfilling. The great news is the work environment is also game-changing. Everyone is working hard, towards a purpose that goes past twice-monthly paychecks.

Cons

There are growing pains, absolutely. With a seemingly never-ending customer base that grows by the hour, keeping our systems up to date and working correctly is a challenge. When new initiatives are pushed through, the workload can be a bit taxing.

Keep hiring engineers. The teams you've created are working wonders, but there's a potential for people to get overworked. Otherwise, keep doing what you do. The culture is great, and clearly this is a service people are excited to use.

Love my coworkers

I have been working at Uber full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Very open community, transparency, still in development but have resources to do what we need

Cons

Growing extremely quickly so I hope we maintain the culture, openness

Uber doesn't know how run business.Those who in Uber need to train about ISO.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Uber part-time

Pros

Uber they just think only money.They don't care about the driver.Cuz this company back by millionaires.

Cons

Stay away this Company.I don't recommend this to a friend.

All managements need to be train,how to outlook also the relation of the driver and the passenger.