Ubisoft

Ubisoft Reviews in Canada

Updated Jul 30, 2014

Ubisoft Cofondateur et Président-Directeur Général Yves Guillemot

Yves Guillemot

Pros
  • good work-life balance, and it is difficult to find others (in 17 reviews)

• Casual work environment; everything gets done over coffee (in 20 reviews)

Cons
  • If you don't speak French, your pay scale is different (in 7 reviews)

• Not many career opportunities unless you are a skilled programmer (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights
40 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

pretty cool place :)

3D Animator (Current Employee) Montreal, QC (Canada)

Prosworking in the video game industry is quite fun, lots of awesome people, working with friends, cool hours, very cool salary, and big AAA projects

Consstressfull, bad organisation due to too many people on projects, only AAA...

nice

Sys Administrative (Former Employee) Montreal, QC (Canada)

Prosreat company to work for

Conslow pay, old building, mile end

Opportunity if you are willing to put in the hard work

Programmer (Current Employee) Quebec, QC (Canada)

ProsMany interesting projects where there's opportunity to grow if you're willing to put the effort. Most team members are fun and the working environment is great. Crunch period are usually under control. Not a stressful place to be working overall.

ConsLow raises
    Not much control over which project you'll be assigned next

Advice to Senior ManagementMore investment in sending employees to conferences would help bring new ideas to the studio.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Progression

Systems Administrator (Former Employee) Montreal, QC (Canada)

ProsGreat and talented People.
    It is quite easy to move inside the company.
    Working for IT, more often than not, our advice was taken into account when a decision needed to be made.

ConsPolitics is very complicated. Like nothing I've seen in any other big business I've worked it.
    High level decision is always taken overseas in France. And Sometimes we don't always understand how they think.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue your programs where you ask questions to your employees like in ExpressY
    But after years, I haven't seen many things change because of it.

All shades of grey

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Montreal, QC (Canada)

Pros- Great culture and community
    - Many talented people
    - Successful titles
    - As safe as it gets in game industry

Cons- Not good at recognising talent
    - Unclear political decisions
    - Not good at sharing knowledge/experience

Advice to Senior Management- Please tell people why you are making such and such decision, it will make huge difference in motivation especially if you are basing your decisions on fair play and common goals
    - Be careful who and why you promote - senior developers will not respect someone only because he/she is their manager
    - Ask senior developers their opinion on major decisions in project, and DO take it into consideration

Nice

Software Engineer (Former Employee) Montreal, QC (Canada)

ProsThe ambiance is very nice and you are making games ! You should feel lucky because not every can do that

ConsThe competition because everyone wants to be at the top, so everyone works hard and you can feel the pressure

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Political Mine Field

Designer (Former Employee) Montreal, QC (Canada)

ProsCasual work environment; everything gets done over coffee
    I met some very talented, interesting people here
    Good opportunities for enhancing your current skill set with training

ConsBullying and inside jokes happen on a regular basis on the production teams
    Are you anglophone? Think twice about whether or not you can handle being made fun of every day in French while you are present.
    Bringing a new skill set to the team? Stroke egos, don't make anyone feel stupid; lots of fragile egos here; do someone else's job better and faster than they can do it, and you will no longer have a job
    The worst politics I have ever experienced at a job; completely unnavigable unless you speak French

Advice to Senior ManagementMaybe you want to try scheduling the delivery of your product? Your "organic" approach doesn't work and frustrates everyone

Stop going for coffee and start scheduling

Ubisoft Montreal: Good people, good projects, respectful management

Technical Director (Current Employee) Montreal, QC (Canada)

Pros- Management is respectful of the employees. Great work-life balance.

- Editorial really wants to make good products. Willing to take difficult decisions to increase chances of product success.

- Can speak to pretty much anyone at any level, no walls based on title.

- There is a very positive and friendly culture at the studio and this obviously boosts motivation.

- Access to an onsite clinic 5 days a week and access to VPN account to work remotely when life situations or sickness do not allow to go to the office.

Cons- Obvious bad decisions taken on the creative side rarely challenged, often only corrected late in production, causing waste of time and money that could have been better spent.

- Excessive team fragmentation can lead to lack of innovation and lack of proactive action as people simply focus on their direct tasks without knowing where we are heading as a team.

- There is a complete incoherence in planning methods among managers on the same project, making the true cost of the project and of the decisions taken impossible to track. Managers who are former programmers tend to be the only good ones, in general.

- The company should expand in the simulation field, but doesn't seem to realize how well positioned we are to do so nor anticipate how big that industry will get. Valve and Crytek will beat us to it and only then we'll try to play catch up.

Advice to Senior ManagementIntegrate the editorial on the projects, but also ask them to evaluate cost impact of decisions, not only creative ones. Do not lose the great work environment and the respect you have for your employees. Ask your project closers to make a global plan to force all projects to use our planning tool properly, nothing must be left untracked anymore. Expand in the VR/simulation field (medical, flight, military, etc.).

a non production employee which means no future in this company

Prosgood work-life balance, and it is difficult to find others

Consunderpaid, a non-production employee means marginal group

A great studio to make games

Sound Designer (Current Employee) Toronto, ON (Canada)

ProsUbisfot Toronto has very talented people, an understanding management is a young studio and it feels in the vibe. Inventive and collaboration is important part of the culture.

ConsAs part of a way bigger multinational corporation, there are decisions that can impact the project you're involved and that don't depend in your personal or team's performance, but it comes with the territory.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep listening the talented people that give Ubisoft the best and more productive years of their life, even when they could seem frustrated, they want to make the studio the crown jewel of the company.

Worked for Ubisoft? Contribute to the Community!