Ubisoft Reviews

Reset
3.7
Ubisoft Cofondateur et Président-Directeur Général Yves Guillemot
Yves Guillemot

Pros
  • The work/life balance is fantastic (in 17 reviews)

• They provide a good and flexible work environment (in 20 reviews)

Cons
  • If you don't speak French, your pay scale is different (in 7 reviews)

• J'aimerai comprendre les objectifs principaux de la soci (in 6 reviews)

Senior Software Developer

Current Employee - Senior Software Developer in Montreal, QC (Canada)
    Current Employee - Senior Software Developer in Montreal, QC (Canada)

I have been working at Ubisoft full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Dynamic environment. Lots of opportunities.

Cons

Low salaries. Very hard to get a raise. Average annual raise is 1%, where a lot of peoples get 0%. To get noticed you basically have to invent teleportation of anti-gravity...

Advice to Management

Come back to reality. You are managing human, not life-less objects.

2. Very good place to ramp up

I worked at Ubisoft full-time

Pros

Salary benefit & benefitd, Very competitive environment. Awesome end of year and christmas party. Got to work with new technologies and patern. Very good place to learn and get achievement to put on your resume.

Cons

Base salary are a bit low. Like many other company, lazy worker can hide for year before getting fired. Very competitive environment.

Advice to Management

Sailing a big boat ain't easy and you are doing good. But sometime good is not enough. I'm sure you can do better.

3. Loved it.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at Ubisoft full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Great people, excellent culture - Very strong company pride & enthusiasm, supportive environment - Great perks (benefits, gym memberships and other discounts, etc.) - Fantastic working environment (home-y, open-concept, full kitchen, etc.)

Cons

- Comparatively low salary - Discrepancy between production and non-production employees (perceived importance + pay)

5. good company

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oakville, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oakville, ON (Canada)

I worked at Ubisoft (Less than a year)

Pros

You will know lots of talented artist. Perfect working environment. You could play games at anytime. People are friendly.

Cons

Average level salary. I think that is all, too many people want to apply for these jobs.

Advice to Management

It is hard to have a cooperation in different teams.

6. nice place to go out to pasture for a while.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Ubisoft full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Stable, good overall culture, little hierarchy

Cons

not much in the way of development. might lose your edge if you stay here too long.

Advice to Management

use us or lose us. lots of good brains being underused.

Just say "No," unless you're brand new to game industry!

Former Employee - Senior Narrative Designer in Montreal, QC (Canada)
    Former Employee - Senior Narrative Designer in Montreal, QC (Canada)

I worked at Ubisoft full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

* Well, their HR people are very nice and very skilled. They would need to be, given the employee churn at Ubi Montreal. * Devs on the teams I was on were generally friendly and helpful. * "Interprojects" concept is good -- when your project is shut down or (less likely) published, you are put in Interprojects department rather than let go, so you can be interviewed/considered for other projects. This is smarter than the way most companies handle employees who are temporarily without a project. * Free French lessons (a necessity if you want to smooth communications with your teammates).

Cons

* Taxes are incredibly high in Montreal. Between Canadian and Quebec taxes, you lose roughly 40%-50% of your salary to taxes. This is not an exaggeration. U.S. developers should ask for at least 40% more than they get in the U.S. so as not to take a step backward in salary! * French is absolutely the predominant language at Ubisoft Montreal (it's even worse at Ubi Quebec). In my 9 months with the company, I estimate that at least 75% of all conversations, maybe more, were in French. Some official meetings were conducted in French. At one formal teleconference with the Editorial Board over in Paris, they asked if the meeting could be conducted in French, even though they knew 6 of the 8 devs on our side of the monitor were primarily English-speaking. * Editorial Board in Paris has a stranglehold on every decision. They don't micromanage on a daily basis, but any decision made by team management can be overturned at any time by Editorial, regardless of cost to project or team. The project I began on had been in development for 2.5 years when Editorial suddenly told us we had to switch from first person to third person, we had to go from a linear game to an open world one, and oh by the way, we hate your protagonist, change him. Each of these was a massive shift that was suddenly dumped on the team. And then 1.5 months later they canceled the project, after these changes were well underway, with lots of crunch involved. Stupid management, amazing any decent products have ever come out of Ubisoft. * They have a lot of hoops to jump through in their production process, lots of "gates"/greenlight hurdles the team has to pause regular production to prepare for. Despite this semblance of accountability, all three projects I had contact with were way over their schedule and wallowing slowly toward completion. I believe only one of the three actually came out. * Without a doubt the most political game development company I've ever worked for (out of seven). Politics affect every decision and hindered every project. Ubisoft Montreal is the epitome of "it's not what you know, it's who you know." That maxim is what Ubi Montreal is all about. * Montreal is a very expensive city to live in, compared to large U.S. cities. Crappy little apartments are expensive and everything above that is too. * Commuting is very bad. The trains are good, the buses are really bad (at hitting their schedules). Don't bring a car if you move there. It would take me 45 minutes to go 4 miles, at 7PM. There can be massive traffic jams at any time of the day, on any major highway in the city, no rhyme or reason to it. * Drivers are awful; Montreal is the only place I have ever heard of that had to rescind right-on-red rules for cars because drivers were such a danger to pedestrians in crosswalks. Apparently pedestrian deaths have gone down but drivers aren't any better. Most drivers in Montreal seem to be in a hurry to reach the site of their next accident. ;)

Advice to Management

* Disband the Editorial Board in Paris. Put adults in charge of your projects and let them do their jobs.

8. Production Manager

I have been working at Ubisoft (More than 5 years)

Pros

Very open to personal ideas to improve processes and pipelines. Offer opportunities to grow.

Cons

Managers are former experts and therefore generally not very skilled in management techniques.

Project Manager

Current Employee - Project Manager in Montreal, QC (Canada)
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Montreal, QC (Canada)

I have been working at Ubisoft full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The usual pros of the games industry. - No suit and ties - Many people who are passionate about making games. - A good amount of great creative minds. - Flexible hours (with core hours) - Company healthcare, dental and retirement plan

Cons

- Like many already mentioned, if you do not speak French then expect never to rise beyond a specific level and jump many more hoops than your French speaking colleagues have to as well as your salary might end up in the lower area. This is even more painfully true in the Montreal office. - Your career may be blocked by the fact you do not speak French as well. - Many managers are promoted experts without the training in management or leading other people which turns out to be a dangerous approach in general, not only for Ubisoft. Some of them do know better but don't apply their knowledge, which is even more sad. - It happens too often that you try to dodge red tape and have to avoid stepping into someone's turf to get things done. Decisions often are made at a higher level and your are meant to apply them without a dialogue and prior conversation of sense or non-sense. - At times you are made to get things done without the necessary support or manpower. - Communication in the company has been very bottom to top with a lack of information flow from the top to the bottom while this is slowly changing, sadly too slow and as it seems only as a necessary evil. - Payment in Ubisoft is low not only compared to other industries which seems to be a common issue. Possibly because the games industry similar to the film industry always has enthusiasts willing to work for low payment only to be part of it. But even compared to the games industry Ubisoft seems to push the average bar low. - If you want to evolve and improve most the time you are on your own. While Ubisoft offers (internal) courses it is up to you to find your path. If you want to switch position or grow into another field then be prepared to experience a serious lack of support. There is no clear career path, no career coach, low (sometimes no) support from the HR. The summary: If you don't make it happen, then no one will (even help).

Advice to Management

- Don't send your managers to be trained and then forget to make sure that the principles are applied. Knowledge is good, actions are better. - As an international company it would possibly be a good idea to get rid of the French elitism thinking in some parts of the company.Equality is one of the big points most games companies hail to. Equality does not stop at gender, age and religion though. Announcing that the company language is officially English does not remove the wine glass ceiling. - Live by the same rules you expect those below you to live by. If you demand them to follow a specific process then don't be the first who tries to cut the chase. You lose credibility and the trust of your employees.

10. A place to stay.

Current Employee - Level Artist in Quebec, QC (Canada)
    Current Employee - Level Artist in Quebec, QC (Canada)

I have been working at Ubisoft full-time

Pros

security is the key word at Ubisoft. As every french company Ubisoft take care and will keep you until the end of time.

Cons

To face the too big amount of employees all the salaries are really low. The team are mainly too young or unexperimented even the older guys who just reproduce what they have done on the previous project. The sentence you can heard everyday when something become hard is "that will be enough for the game".

Advice to Management

Money is mandatory for a company to survive but did we want to survive or to live and really make the history of the video game industry ? I think I already know the answer.

Don't unless you're starting out

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Montreal, QC (Canada)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Montreal, QC (Canada)

I worked at Ubisoft full-time

Pros

The people I worked with were fun and talented. Tons of restaurants around Ubisoft Montreal. Great job security. Beer on Fridays.

Cons

Tech sharing and management is a disaster. As a programmer, prepare to spend a lot of time integrating and merging features from other projects. The management is completely full of itself and convinced that Ubisoft makes the best games in the industry. There is very little looking into what other companies are doing. Very little innovation, most games apply the same 'game loop' of open up an area, do the quests in that area, go to new area, rinse and repeat. You will be expected to do a LOT of overtime with almost zero compensation. If you work 400 hours of overtime, you're lucky if you get 40 hours in vacation. Someone who leaves Ubisoft for a year and then comes back will almost always have a better position/salary then if they had stayed at Ubisoft.

Advice to Management

Go F yourselves.

RSS Feed </> Embed