Ubisoft

Ubisoft Chairman, President, and CEO Yves Guillemot

Yves Guillemot

25 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Ubisoft Montreal: Good people, good projects, respectful management

Technical Director (Current Employee)

I have been working at Ubisoft full-time for more than 8 years

Pros- Management is respectful of the employees. Great work-life balance.

- Editorial really wants to make good products. Willing to take difficult decisions to increase chances of product success.

- Can speak to pretty much anyone at any level, no walls based on title.

- There is a very positive and friendly culture at the studio and this obviously boosts motivation.

- Access to an onsite clinic 5 days a week and access to VPN account to work remotely when life situations or sickness do not allow to go to the office.

Cons- Obvious bad decisions taken on the creative side rarely challenged, often only corrected late in production, causing waste of time and money that could have been better spent.

- Excessive team fragmentation can lead to lack of innovation and lack of proactive action as people simply focus on their direct tasks without knowing where we are heading as a team.

- There is a complete incoherence in planning methods among managers on the same project, making the true cost of the project and of the decisions taken impossible to track. Managers who are former programmers tend to be the only good ones, in general.

- The company should expand in the simulation field, but doesn't seem to realize how well positioned we are to do so nor anticipate how big that industry will get. Valve and Crytek will beat us to it and only then we'll try to play catch up.

Advice to Senior ManagementIntegrate the editorial on the projects, but also ask them to evaluate cost impact of decisions, not only creative ones. Do not lose the great work environment and the respect you have for your employees. Ask your project closers to make a global plan to force all projects to use our planning tool properly, nothing must be left untracked anymore. Expand in the VR/simulation field (medical, flight, military, etc.).

Nice

Software Engineer (Former Employee)

I worked at Ubisoft full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThe ambiance is very nice and you are making games ! You should feel lucky because not every can do that

ConsThe competition because everyone wants to be at the top, so everyone works hard and you can feel the pressure

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Political Mine Field

Designer (Former Employee)
Montreal, QC (Canada)

I worked at Ubisoft full-time for less than a year

ProsCasual work environment; everything gets done over coffee
I met some very talented, interesting people here
Good opportunities for enhancing your current skill set with training

ConsBullying and inside jokes happen on a regular basis on the production teams
Are you anglophone? Think twice about whether or not you can handle being made fun of every day in French while you are present.
Bringing a new skill set to the team? Stroke egos, don't make anyone feel stupid; lots of fragile egos here; do someone else's job better and faster than they can do it, and you will no longer have a job
The worst politics I have ever experienced at a job; completely unnavigable unless you speak French

Advice to Senior ManagementMaybe you want to try scheduling the delivery of your product? Your "organic" approach doesn't work and frustrates everyone

Stop going for coffee and start scheduling

Great people, limited upwards possibilities

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Ubisoft full-time for more than 3 years

ProsIncredibly creative colleagues, great annual / launch / community parties, some good projects if you happen to be in them, flex time (depending on job), gym and related classes. The surrounding neighborhood in the Mile-End is also a plus.

ConsNot much chance of promotion unless you're a good friend of someone, and overtime is often too much at certain periods.

Advice to Senior ManagementAdvice to top executive management: implement 360 reviews of management at all levels by all employees, not just the ones that those managers feel "are the most appropriate to interview". You'll likely reduce overall turnover of actual hard-to-get talent.

meh

Senior Character Artist (Former Employee)

Proscool people - great project

Conspoor pay - bonus to laugh at
senior don;'t stay

Advice to Senior Managementdon't be so cheap with your employees

International Product Manager Assistant - Ubisoft Montréal

Assistant International Product Manager (Former Employee)
Montreal, QC (Canada)

I worked at Ubisoft as an intern for more than a year

ProsGreat team, great atmosphere
Very nice location
International environment
Opportunities for personal development

ConsBeing a marketing guy in a development team made of technical and creative profiles is not always an easy task. You need to prove everyday that you're legitimate

Welcome to the Machine

Generalist Programmer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Ubisoft full-time for more than 3 years

ProsUnparalleled job security: They'll always have a spot on a project for you, even if takes weeks of waiting for said spot to open up. In the games industry, this is an undeniable advantage.

Adaptive work balance: Ubisoft doesn't care whether you want to only do your regular week or want to go all in on crunch time. Everyone is valued equally, regardless of whether they work 80 hours a week or 40. The effort you invest is reasonably returned in your end of project bonus.

ConsUnwarranted job security: In a tremendous validation of the Peter Principle, some key leads and managers clearly don't have the competence to hold their position but are firmly anchored there without any chance of relieving them.

Needs of the many: While you'll always find a spot on some project, it might very well be a project you don't care about, but has a high need for your position.

Progression is slow: Compared to other companies, the salary curve is on the low side, and the only way to beat the curve is not through talent but through networking and being friends with the right people.

Good workplace - Unfair compensation

Senior Programmer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Ubisoft full-time for more than 5 years

Pros- you can work on great games
- you can work with really talented people
- you can be given great autonomy and have a say on content

Cons- if you're not on a successful brand, forget about bonuses
- if you don't negotiate your salary, you'll be underpaid
- studio is now so big, merit is not sufficient for career advancement, you need to network

Advice to Senior Management- find a solution for the unfairness of bonuses

Understand that each project is a different company, then choose wisely

Montreal, QC (Canada)

I have been working at Ubisoft full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat games, teams full of motivation
The more you show, the more high management trust you and let you focus on how you can excel with your skills
Team management opened to new tech possibilities, as they enjoyed employee feedback transparency as well
No employee blaming, just decisions made to move forward

ConsSometimes, you have to do someone else job, sometimes you don't
Bad tasks planning, wrong decisions taken
Agile is often misunderstood

Advice to Senior ManagementListen more carefully to your prod, even if they did not realize themselves they have hesitations on what they're currently saying.

Prepare your artistic skills and be ready to apply them in a total chaos!

Project and Account Manager (Current Employee)
Montreal, QC (Canada)

I have been working at Ubisoft full-time for less than a year

ProsYou get to meet there some interesting people, with good level of education and culture
You learn a lot about difficult relations at work, about politics...
Nice gym for the employees in the building for free
Private clinic for the employees in the building
You can play games at work
A lot of freedom
Medical insurance as of first day of work
Can work form home

ConsProbation period 6 months - too lot
The company is a mess, total chaos, lack of documentation, structure, always changing...
Too much of politics, people trying to cover up their asses by showing some excessive "devotion" to the company
Too much of show offs
Many people are backstabbers, they talk behind your back
Retarded management who waste their time on stupid things that they consider important
Waste of time on meetings
As a manager, you do more of useless talking, roleplaying (a role of a devoted employee), stupid meetings, ass licking....
You don't get evaluated based on your performance and the work but rather on your relationship with certain colleagues
To succeed, you must get accepted by your colleagues (of the same level) and to do it you have to play their stupid games and pretend you like it
Overall very disappointed with the company
Underpaid! They think that because they make you the favour of letting you work for a big gaming company they can pay you less.
In reality, you have no time to take advantage of their gym and other things. So I would prefer of not having all these services in exchange of a better wage and better structure
Would never go back there again

Advice to Senior ManagementDownsize the management and simplify the structure!

Worked for Ubisoft? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Ubisoft reviews and ratings in Montreal, QC — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Ubisoft CEO Yves Guillemot. All 25 reviews posted anonymously by Ubisoft employees.