Ubisoft

Updated December 22, 2014
3.4

Ubisoft Cofondateur et Président-Directeur Général Yves Guillemot
Yves Guillemot

Pros
  • good work-life balance, and it is difficult to find others (in 17 reviews)

• Casual work environment; everything gets done over coffee (in 20 reviews)

Cons
  • If you don't speak French, your pay scale is different (in 7 reviews)

• de la haute direction prend des ann (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Whirlwind Tour de France

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Ubisoft as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

Anyone into gaming in the past few decades is probably already aware of Ubisoft.

Working at their studio in SF at some points felt like a "Big League" kind of experience - that said, UbiSF benefits from its relatively intimate office setting, and is merely blocks from the famed AT&T Park.

I miss the unlimited cans of "Talking Rain", the feeling of community, the thrill of overcoming a project's perceived limitations, and the flights of pure terror and invention during crunch time.

Cons

Does it need to be said that the timescales were short, and that the hours were long? The pay, though adequate, could have been somewhat better, considering the high pressure and rapidly approaching deadlines.

There needs to be a better formal training process for new employees, in terms of integrating the expectations of the various teams' leadership in a way that is comprehendible and communicable to the n00bs. It can be difficult to juggle the expectations and demands of the various leads on complex projects when the contract durations for new employees, as well as the development checkpoints, are so short. Many of the inefficiencies that I perceived during development could have been reduced or prevented by better, more comprehensive documentation, and hands-on training during the initial weeks of employment.

Cool place & neat people

I have been working at Ubisoft as an intern

Pros

Friendly people, close to cool stuff, neat office, fun games.

Cons

Long hours, no areas to relax/chill at work, rarely have free food, lackluster employee perks.

Fantastic community & workplace

I worked at Ubisoft full-time (more than an year)

Pros

People here are really your friends. I didn't meet anyone who wasn't willing to share their work, stories, or even jokes in the middle of a work day. Really pleasant place to work. That kind of environment makes you want to come back every day and not want to go home every now and then. Even if you don't speak French.

Note that my experience may only apply to my particular project and it may not be the same case to all other projects. In particular, the organization and management of the project I worked on was ordely and flexible. I did find that at times, it seemed like management was constantly making massive changes to the project in question that were definitely way too early to make assumptions on. I also found that at times, it seemed like there was no clear direction, but when it came down to crunch everything was spot on and it became immediately clear what had to be done.

The company offers tons of training courses, both online and in person. Free English or French classes during the Winter and Summer. Great personal gym and tons of medical/health consultation right in the Montreal Peck space.

There was also tons of after work events. Plenty of beer and barbecues to attend, water rafting, or amusement park stuff to go to.

Definitely always improving.

Cons

Regarding promotions and time-off policies, there is some weirdness there. I never understood how time-off worked. You could "dock" hours, but it never seemed like there was any official way to "dock" hours so you kind of just were responsible for being honest. Which is nice, but is questionable. I noted that there wasn't a whole lot of leg room regarding what your pay was and how you can stand out to get a promotion besides just becoming lead for a team.

Sometimes management, again at least on my team, became unresponsive and we fell behind more than once.

The PR department I feel is definitely lacking. The company is rediculously secretive apparently due to investors. Yet, everything gets leaked. New projects are constantly getting announced ahead of schedule unintentionally. Also, the PR fiasco with women as main characters was handled utterly poorly. Also Uplay does a lot of fantastic things for us developers, but Ubisoft makes no effort to explain that to consumers. They only see it as DRM, and it really isn't. There is way more to Uplay that makes it great, but Ubisoft itself doesn't acknowledge it. They don't address these kinds of issues for some reason dead on.

Management needs to stop making calls on project features and deadlines too soon. And also provide clearer guidelines for promotions, time off, and documentation regarding crunches.

Creative, yet organizationally challenged

I have been working at Ubisoft

Pros

Great products, passion for games, nice people, leaders who know console business and retail, ambitious and committed to long term success

Cons

Organizational structure operates at cross-purposes, willingness to throw good money after bad, so far unsuccessful in free-to-play, mobile. Loses talented young developers to competitors.

I observe overstaffing on the big bets and understaffing on areas where the company is falling behind. The inability to operate games as a service is a real concern.

Great work environment, tends to be be top heavy with management.

I have been working at Ubisoft

Pros

The company atmosphere is great. It's very casual, so as long as you get your work done, everyone's happy. Upper management in most departments is fantastic; they really try think of the team's best interest.

Cons

Although most managers are great, there are too many associate managers and lower positions dedicated to managing, rather than executing.

Try to pay closer attention to the beginning and end of a task and how efficient that process is. It could be multiple layers of unneeded management, or the need to invest more in advanced tool sets and technical support for those tools. Overall the efficiency and efficacy of the tasks that need to be completed would greatly benefit from this.

A good experience

I worked at Ubisoft

Pros

Fun and dynamic industry. A great place to meet a lot of talented and interesting professionals in the industry.

Cons

Wish people interacted with each other more within the company and training was more focused

Cool brands. Need to be French to move up. Local studio management doesn't invest in our growth or careers.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Ubisoft

Pros

Ubisoft is creative with new brands and reinventing old ones. Exciting time to work at Redstorm. Vacation time is generous. Perks are good. Nice office. Fun activities for the family. Great holiday party. Projects can be rewarding. Able to move abroad if you are talented.

Cons

Pay is very LOW compared to industry. Our best people leave for new positions because of pay and few career opportunities. The same people have been in management positions for 15 years due to seniority or favoritism and they are not good leaders. They ignore complaints against favorites and attack others.

Who runs Red Storm and makes decisions? Clear that up for us. Managers need to stop showing favoritism when promoting people or giving a raise because someone complains. It's unfair to everyone else. Deal with the problem producers, top managers and poor developers, instead of ignoring the complaints just because they are your best friend.

Manufacturing Coordinator

Former Employee - Manufacturing Coordinator in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Manufacturing Coordinator in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Ubisoft full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Autonomous decision making, fun games.

Cons

Not a great corporate culture. It's not all glitz and glam, for a video game company its not all fun and the environment isn't fun. It's an open work space with no cubicles but no one really talks to each other. They're strict on ins and outs and management doesn't communicate well with the overall team.

Get to know your team, talk to them at least.

Great place to learn

Former Employee - Campus Brand Ambassador in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Campus Brand Ambassador in Seattle, WA

I worked at Ubisoft part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Get to experience a little bit of everything from sales to marketing. Really hands on.

Cons

A bit cumbersome with the communication methods. Could definitely improve on expectations of roles of employees.

Great game comany

Current Employee - Director in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Director in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Ubisoft full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Studios all around the globe.
    One of the most innovative game publisher.
    Great story teller.
    Want to create great game and is not trying to milk our gamers
    A lot of autonomy in you day to day job
    Bottom up company where you can share your idea and see them come to life
    Great insurance and benefits

Cons

Not the largest game publisher
    No CTO to overview the technology decisions inside the company
    Salaries are ok, but they are not the best

Ubisoft Photos