Ubisoft Reviews

Reset
3.6
Ubisoft Cofondateur et Président-Directeur Général Yves Guillemot
Yves Guillemot

Pros
  • The work/life balance is fantastic (in 17 reviews)

• They provide a good and flexible work environment (in 20 reviews)

Cons
  • If you don't speak French, your pay scale is different (in 7 reviews)

• J'aimerai comprendre les objectifs principaux de la soci (in 6 reviews)

1. Internship Review

Former Employee - Intern Programmer in Pune (India)
    Former Employee - Intern Programmer in Pune (India)

I worked at Ubisoft

Pros

Open, interactive work environment A chance to work on different technologies and consoles A great learning experience

Cons

Top management can be rigid Manager might not always review your work Sometimes no legitimate instructions are given

Advice to Management

Carry out a regular, periodic review for temporary interns as well Let the expectations of the managers be known to their interns

2. Project Manager

I have been working at Ubisoft

Pros

Excellent work atmosphere, management leaves a lot of autonomy to employees, ver hands on

Cons

Not much to sa about it

3. Abusive managers - Passionate teams

Former Employee - Project Manager in Paris (France)
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Paris (France)

I worked at Ubisoft (More than a year)

Pros

Most employees are really passionate about what they do and good too, super good vibe. Lot of fun during lunchbreak LAN parties or afterwork parties. Made amazing friends there.

Cons

This company is about using the "video game" cool factor to suck any drop of energy of yourself for the minimum possible salary. They hire people only on short term contract to keep the pressure super high ( don't complain or you ll loose your job) Teams are overworked, managers promises bonuses that never come at the end, extra hours are promised to be paid yet never show up and as soon as you raise concerns about all this you are in a very dire position. - Almost ended up to go to court with them. Most of "producers" are just there because they have been sticking long enough, so called "super star" creative directors tend to be super dicks more than anything else.... Go there to put the name on your resumé and leave ASAP

Advice to Management

Stop exploiting your staff

5. Not much room for growth if you are looking to join SF based IT department

I worked at Ubisoft full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

flexible work hours casual work attire

Cons

Not much room for growth if you are looking to join SF based IT department.

Advice to Management

Provide growth opportunities for local market workers

6. Ubisoft :D

Current Employee - Senior Test Engineer in Pune (India)
    Current Employee - Senior Test Engineer in Pune (India)

I have been working at Ubisoft full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Best work environemt Good for people who are intrested in making their career into gaming

Cons

The salary is the only issue

7. nice place to go out to pasture for a while.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Ubisoft full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Stable, good overall culture, little hierarchy

Cons

not much in the way of development. might lose your edge if you stay here too long.

Advice to Management

use us or lose us. lots of good brains being underused.

8. good company

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oakville, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oakville, ON (Canada)

I worked at Ubisoft (Less than a year)

Pros

You will know lots of talented artist. Perfect working environment. You could play games at anytime. People are friendly.

Cons

Average level salary. I think that is all, too many people want to apply for these jobs.

Advice to Management

It is hard to have a cooperation in different teams.

9. Trainee Game Tester

I have been working at Ubisoft

Pros

A very nice working environment. All employees are very helpful and courteous. Office is well kept and tidy. Balanced working hours. Over time properly compensated for. Not a monotonous job.

Cons

Didn't find any cons as such, nothing worth specifying.

10. Just say "No," unless you're brand new to game industry!

Former Employee - Senior Narrative Designer in Montreal, QC (Canada)
    Former Employee - Senior Narrative Designer in Montreal, QC (Canada)

I worked at Ubisoft full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

* Well, their HR people are very nice and very skilled. They would need to be, given the employee churn at Ubi Montreal. * Devs on the teams I was on were generally friendly and helpful. * "Interprojects" concept is good -- when your project is shut down or (less likely) published, you are put in Interprojects department rather than let go, so you can be interviewed/considered for other projects. This is smarter than the way most companies handle employees who are temporarily without a project. * Free French lessons (a necessity if you want to smooth communications with your teammates).

Cons

* Taxes are incredibly high in Montreal. Between Canadian and Quebec taxes, you lose roughly 40%-50% of your salary to taxes. This is not an exaggeration. U.S. developers should ask for at least 40% more than they get in the U.S. so as not to take a step backward in salary! * French is absolutely the predominant language at Ubisoft Montreal (it's even worse at Ubi Quebec). In my 9 months with the company, I estimate that at least 75% of all conversations, maybe more, were in French. Some official meetings were conducted in French. At one formal teleconference with the Editorial Board over in Paris, they asked if the meeting could be conducted in French, even though they knew 6 of the 8 devs on our side of the monitor were primarily English-speaking. * Editorial Board in Paris has a stranglehold on every decision. They don't micromanage on a daily basis, but any decision made by team management can be overturned at any time by Editorial, regardless of cost to project or team. The project I began on had been in development for 2.5 years when Editorial suddenly told us we had to switch from first person to third person, we had to go from a linear game to an open world one, and oh by the way, we hate your protagonist, change him. Each of these was a massive shift that was suddenly dumped on the team. And then 1.5 months later they canceled the project, after these changes were well underway, with lots of crunch involved. Stupid management, amazing any decent products have ever come out of Ubisoft. * They have a lot of hoops to jump through in their production process, lots of "gates"/greenlight hurdles the team has to pause regular production to prepare for. Despite this semblance of accountability, all three projects I had contact with were way over their schedule and wallowing slowly toward completion. I believe only one of the three actually came out. * Without a doubt the most political game development company I've ever worked for (out of seven). Politics affect every decision and hindered every project. Ubisoft Montreal is the epitome of "it's not what you know, it's who you know." That maxim is what Ubi Montreal is all about. * Montreal is a very expensive city to live in, compared to large U.S. cities. Crappy little apartments are expensive and everything above that is too. * Commuting is very bad. The trains are good, the buses are really bad (at hitting their schedules). Don't bring a car if you move there. It would take me 45 minutes to go 4 miles, at 7PM. There can be massive traffic jams at any time of the day, on any major highway in the city, no rhyme or reason to it. * Drivers are awful; Montreal is the only place I have ever heard of that had to rescind right-on-red rules for cars because drivers were such a danger to pedestrians in crosswalks. Apparently pedestrian deaths have gone down but drivers aren't any better. Most drivers in Montreal seem to be in a hurry to reach the site of their next accident. ;)

Advice to Management

* Disband the Editorial Board in Paris. Put adults in charge of your projects and let them do their jobs.

11. Une bonne rampe de lancement

Current Employee - Chef De Groupe
    Current Employee - Chef De Groupe

I have been working at Ubisoft full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Beaucoup d'autonomie donnée même à des personnes très junior Un cadre de travail agréable, des collègues sympa Une industrie fun

Cons

Si vous êtes très bon vous allez rapidement atteindre un plafond les équipes dirigeantes étant très jeunes ca se bouscule déjà au niveau intermédiaire et le top management est constitué de potes ou de personnes de la famille En France des salaires de misère même pour des postes de management. Si vous travaillez à l'EMEA oubliez votre vie de famille les horaires sont faits pour vous faire finir à 19h et attendre que des personnes de San Francisco arrive au boulot pour discuter ... ils ne sont jamais à l'heure donc vous finirez à 20h...

Advice to Management

Mettez en place une vrai stratégie RH de détection des hauts profils et faite le ménage au siège et ailleurs pour permettre à de nouveaux profils de prendre le relais Mettez en place de vrais grilles de salaires basées sur des études et fidéliser les gens

RSS Feed </> Embed