Ubisoft

Updated December 18, 2014
3.4

Ubisoft Cofondateur et Président-Directeur Général Yves Guillemot
Yves Guillemot

Pros
  • good work-life balance, and it is difficult to find others (in 17 reviews)

• Casual work environment; everything gets done over coffee (in 20 reviews)

Cons
  • If you don't speak French, your pay scale is different (in 7 reviews)

• de la haute direction prend des ann (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Great Culture!

I have been working at Ubisoft full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Ubisoft has a great culture and an amazing work/life balance.

Cons

They can be a bit stingy with compensation.

Phenomenal place to grow and create

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Ubisoft full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Exceptional autonomy to grow and drive the business as you see fit. I think what a lot of the people leaving negative comments about the company don't realize is compared to other big multinational companies, there is significantly less politics than they think, at least in North America. The culture is entrepreneurial which makes for interesting and engaging work. Nothing is really out of bounds so long as it makes sense/has a good payout. Management is highly protective of its workers and go to great lengths, even if it isn't immediately clear to the average worker, to protect their jobs. To me the culture is a nice balance between big company structure and small company freedom. Compensation, if you can make it past the first year or two and prove yourself, improves dramatically.

The people are really a lot of fun and good to work with. Those that are not are usually not there long.

Cons

I don't disagree with some of the other comments listed. Upperward growth past a "director" level on the commercial side is difficult as there is just nowhere to go. Senior team members rarely move out of the company.

While the 'shoot from the hip' style is mostly fun, there is a lot of room for improvement around the discipline of the business. Several top managers have grown from inside the organization and so have no understanding of different business techniques or strategies beyond what they themselves have implemented. Further, some mid to top level managers struggle with managing people and have had neither the necessary training nor the role modeling they need to be truly effective leaders. Training is not a part of the culture, as another reviewer pointed out and this clearly needs to be addressed as an necessity to retain top talent.

All that said, guess what, every company has a litany of issues it needs to address. Ubi is no exception. Despite these issues, it is a phenomenal place and industry to work in with more upside than down. Grain of salt for the disgruntled reviewers who have left and want to leave a swath of destruction behind them.

Focus more overtly on career paths for your top people. Address the thinking that you must be French to be a senior leader globally. Focus on traing in a way that you never have, go all in. Take specific time out of the week to focus solely on the strategies and people and bring them to life. See the forest for the trees and try to stay out of the minutiae as much as possible.

A Great Group of People in a Laid-back Environment

I have been working at Ubisoft full-time (more than an year)

Pros

- intelligent, hard-working, friendly people
    - laid-back company culture
    - good location with lots of good restaurants

Cons

- compensation not competitive
    - not many perks (free soda, trail mix)
    - too much bureaucracy to get things done

North American office has lots of good people

I worked at Ubisoft full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

There are some great people in the North American office, many of whom have strong backgrounds in game industry marketing. There is a good balance of experience and fresh ideas.

Has weathered the economic storm relatively well and hasn't had to lay off employees. Ubisoft prioritizes keeping its talent and does what it can to avoid layoffs.

The upper management in North America does their best to foster good company culture and new ideas despite what seems like a frustrating lack of room to grow for those upper executives.

Cons

There is some tension between North American and EMEA operations.

As the company grows larger, they are becoming more risk averse and rely on sequels.
    Anyone who isn't French probably doesn't have a great chance of reaching the highest levels in the company.

Seemingly somewhat stingy with compensation.

Keep supporting your employees well and allow them to take some risks to keep Ubisoft at the forefront of the industry.

SF Studio - PD review

I have been working at Ubisoft

Pros

Flexible hours, good people, fun corporate culture

Cons

Strict Stage Gate process which slows down the production and discourage developers.

Trust employees, hire good developers, encourage innovation.

Great Foot in the door to gaming, but not a viable long term employer

Former Employee - Creative Department/IT in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Creative Department/IT in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Ubisoft full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great people, decent office, excellent networking opportunities, some professional development money for training, International offices, great games being produced

Cons

Middle management heavy, low pay compared to equivalent companies in area, very hard to increase salary beyond yearly minimal bumps and weak bonus, not a progressive technology culture, very much an old boy system of promotions based on friendships. No perks beyond a free can of soda on every floor and a yearly meeting that sucks. Its def not Google or Yahoo...

Kick your middle managers in the ass and insist on creating an enviornment of creativity & progressive thinking instead of they keeping employees down to secure their cushy jobs. I saw several talented people leave due to low salaries & being fed up with overpaid managers attempting to keep them down. Hire more diverse demographics, there's like one African American in the whole sf office.

I worked at Ubisoft

Pros

Good products to promote for the most part

Cons

Corporate structure is too fragmented

Loved it...until I got fired for not being trained by my supervisors properly.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Ubisoft as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Got to work on a great title, good collaboration and support among immediate contracted teammates, learned a lot about what goes into producing a AAA title. Various people I met around the office were friendly.

Cons

I was a contractor hired to create additional downloadable content. I succeeded two rounds of interviews/tests to be one of the few hired yet was terminated two months after starting because, as the producer said, "We have an idea of how fast you should be in two months and you didn't achieve that." This was a gig that involved proprietary software that you can't learn in school--it was being developed as we were being trained on it. I put in solid 40 hour weeks, furiously taking notes on my tasks, dealing with constant bugs in the system that created more work and lost it on multiple occasions. My supervisors were in regular rotation, dealing with their own chaos and deadlines in the building next door. One would tell me I was doing something wrong, I'd fix the problem and the other would tell me I should have done it the way the first supervisor had told me to avoid. I was given no warnings or advice on how to improve my performance and better contribute to the team. I quit my job for this seven month opportunity and found myself escorted like a criminal to the street two months later, one of the most humiliating experiences of my life.

My conscience is clear. I worked hard, learned from my mistakes and took part in a unique project. But I can't help feeling like I was set up to fail, management playing a numbers game where their plan all along was to keep hiring and firing people every few months until they found whatever they were seeking. I was never given any documents on proper operating procedure, as all the complex information was given verbally and later attempts at clarification were often delayed as they dealt with their own tasks, preventing me from completing mine. Maybe I should have been tested on more skills than the ones that were a fraction of the overall job? Maybe management should have been more involved (and patient--I was just starting to get a handle on things in that second month) in my learning the ropes? Because I was thrilled for the chance to work at Ubisoft and now I'm left feeling like the hero you finally get to meet is actually pretty cruel.

Account Manager

Former Employee - Account Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Account Manager in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Ubisoft full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Work from home
    Good benefits
    Good product line

Cons

Very political
    Unreasonable expectations
    Very French culture

Allow your AM's to do what they do best and stop micro managing.

Ubisoft is just like any big publisher has very limited growth

Former Employee - Game Developer in Cary, NC
    Former Employee - Game Developer in Cary, NC

I worked at Ubisoft full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Some good titles
    Great team work

Cons

Too much beuracracy
    Titles get pushed