Ubisoft

Ubisoft Reviews

Updated Jul 30, 2014

Ubisoft Cofondateur et Président-Directeur Général Yves Guillemot

Yves Guillemot

Pros
  • good work-life balance, and it is difficult to find others (in 17 reviews)

• Casual work environment; everything gets done over coffee (in 20 reviews)

Cons
  • If you don't speak French, your pay scale is different (in 7 reviews)

• Not many career opportunities unless you are a skilled programmer (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

North American office has lots of good people

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThere are some great people in the North American office, many of whom have strong backgrounds in game industry marketing. There is a good balance of experience and fresh ideas.

Has weathered the economic storm relatively well and hasn't had to lay off employees. Ubisoft prioritizes keeping its talent and does what it can to avoid layoffs.

The upper management in North America does their best to foster good company culture and new ideas despite what seems like a frustrating lack of room to grow for those upper executives.

ConsThere is some tension between North American and EMEA operations.

As the company grows larger, they are becoming more risk averse and rely on sequels.
    Anyone who isn't French probably doesn't have a great chance of reaching the highest levels in the company.

Seemingly somewhat stingy with compensation.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep supporting your employees well and allow them to take some risks to keep Ubisoft at the forefront of the industry.

Great Foot in the door to gaming, but not a viable long term employer

Creative Department/IT (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsGreat people, decent office, excellent networking opportunities, some professional development money for training, International offices, great games being produced

ConsMiddle management heavy, low pay compared to equivalent companies in area, very hard to increase salary beyond yearly minimal bumps and weak bonus, not a progressive technology culture, very much an old boy system of promotions based on friendships. No perks beyond a free can of soda on every floor and a yearly meeting that sucks. Its def not Google or Yahoo...

Advice to Senior ManagementKick your middle managers in the ass and insist on creating an enviornment of creativity & progressive thinking instead of they keeping employees down to secure their cushy jobs. I saw several talented people leave due to low salaries & being fed up with overpaid managers attempting to keep them down. Hire more diverse demographics, there's like one African American in the whole sf office.

SF Studio - PD review

ProsFlexible hours, good people, fun corporate culture

ConsStrict Stage Gate process which slows down the production and discourage developers.

Advice to Senior ManagementTrust employees, hire good developers, encourage innovation.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGood products to promote for the most part

ConsCorporate structure is too fragmented

Loved it...until I got fired for not being trained by my supervisors properly.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsGot to work on a great title, good collaboration and support among immediate contracted teammates, learned a lot about what goes into producing a AAA title. Various people I met around the office were friendly.

ConsI was a contractor hired to create additional downloadable content. I succeeded two rounds of interviews/tests to be one of the few hired yet was terminated two months after starting because, as the producer said, "We have an idea of how fast you should be in two months and you didn't achieve that." This was a gig that involved proprietary software that you can't learn in school--it was being developed as we were being trained on it. I put in solid 40 hour weeks, furiously taking notes on my tasks, dealing with constant bugs in the system that created more work and lost it on multiple occasions. My supervisors were in regular rotation, dealing with their own chaos and deadlines in the building next door. One would tell me I was doing something wrong, I'd fix the problem and the other would tell me I should have done it the way the first supervisor had told me to avoid. I was given no warnings or advice on how to improve my performance and better contribute to the team. I quit my job for this seven month opportunity and found myself escorted like a criminal to the street two months later, one of the most humiliating experiences of my life.

Advice to Senior ManagementMy conscience is clear. I worked hard, learned from my mistakes and took part in a unique project. But I can't help feeling like I was set up to fail, management playing a numbers game where their plan all along was to keep hiring and firing people every few months until they found whatever they were seeking. I was never given any documents on proper operating procedure, as all the complex information was given verbally and later attempts at clarification were often delayed as they dealt with their own tasks, preventing me from completing mine. Maybe I should have been tested on more skills than the ones that were a fraction of the overall job? Maybe management should have been more involved (and patient--I was just starting to get a handle on things in that second month) in my learning the ropes? Because I was thrilled for the chance to work at Ubisoft and now I'm left feeling like the hero you finally get to meet is actually pretty cruel.

Account Manager

Account Manager (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsWork from home
    Good benefits
    Good product line

ConsVery political
    Unreasonable expectations
    Very French culture

Advice to Senior ManagementAllow your AM's to do what they do best and stop micro managing.

Ubisoft is just like any big publisher has very limited growth

Game Developer (Former Employee) Cary, NC

ProsSome good titles
    Great team work

ConsToo much beuracracy
    Titles get pushed

Advice to Senior ManagementValue your devs

One of the best places in the Bay Area to work.

Marketing (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

Proswork/life balance is fantastic and emphasized.

ConsHQ is in Paris, France.

Laid back and positive environment, but compensation is not competitive

Senior Sales Manager (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsPeople are nice and everyone gets along. Locations is perfect for people that live in San Francisco in SOMA.

ConsAll major decisions are made in Paris and senior management does not know strategic objectives.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay a fair wage and there will be less turnover from employees

stuck in a role and pay stinks

Producer (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsIt's a French company so a lot of the mentality is French - lots of time off, free food, and a guaranteed paycheck as long as you don't mess up egregiously. Also, you get to play games at work (duh), the office is in a great location near ATT Park, you definitely get the wow factor when you bring people through the building. It seems like a fun place to work and most of the time it is.

ConsManagement puts you in a prescribed role and keeps you there. Some of the employees are nice and cool but a lot of them fall into the gamer geek category - no social skills, bad skin, you know the type. Pay is much less than at other companies, because they figure you really want to work in video games you are willing to take a pay cut.

Worked for Ubisoft? Contribute to the Community!