Udacity Reviews

Updated March 24, 2015
10 reviews filtered by
4.2
Sebastian Thrun

1. Amazing company with a mission to give people a chance to live a better life through education

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Udacity

Pros

Great coworkers
    Amazing benefits (100% covered insurance)
    Transparency - We always know what the leadership team is doing & thinking.
    All Hands Meetings once a week - great communication across teams
    Super Flexible schedule - as long as you get your work done, no one cares what time you get there
    The President is here every day and is very involved, he's always talking to various employees and getting feedback and ideas.

Cons

too many meetings (please reinforce no meeting thursdays)

Keep doing what you are doing!
    Promote internal mobility more

Company cares about empowering students

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Udacity full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The mission focus is excellent - the company really cares about providing the best education and experience for students. Office camaraderie is great, and provided meals mean everyone's hanging out together even when not working. Benefits/perks are generally very good.

Cons

The open floor plan and office fluorescent lighting makes for a somewhat subpar working environment. A culture of working anywhere with laptops mitigates this somewhat (couches, outside, from home, etc.)

While empowering individual contributors is a worthy goal, it needs to go hand-in-hand with a strong, well-communicated vision from leadership. The first part is there in spades, but sometimes that second part can feel like it's missing!

The most fulfilling educational environment I've ever worked in.

Current Employee - Course Director in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Course Director in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Udacity full-time (more than a year)

Pros

I've worked in education my entire adult life, but I've never found a place so adamantly and truly student-oriented as Udacity. Every single element of the company is structured toward improving the students' learning and experience. Udacity loves its students, and I don't mean just that they appreciate their students: they LOVE their students. They want the best for their students, they want to improve their students lives, they want to help their students reach their goals. There is a pervasive belief that if they create value for the student, profitability and other business concerns will follow. It's truly inspiring and fulfilling to be part of an organization that is so passionately and completely devoted to its students.

Aside from loving its students, Udacity loves its employees. We're encouraged to try new things, branch out, work together. The benefits and salary packages are incredible. There's ample reward and recognition for jobs well done. The office is a blast to be in. It's just a fantastic, fantastic place.

Cons

The only "problem" with working at Udacity is that things can move so far that it becomes easy to get lost. Of course, that's part of what makes the company enjoyable to work for: there's always something going on. It can certainly be overwhelming at times, though!

Keep doing exactly what you're doing.

inspired, Supported and Challenged

Current Employee - Project Manager in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Udacity (less than a year)

Pros

We are encouraged to act quickly when we see areas where we can contribute. If you fail, you communicate how it happened, what you learned, then move on and no one spends time making you feel guilty about it- failure is touted as crucial to innovation! Lunch is delivered at the same time each day, which contrasts in my experience to other companies, where you may or may not be eating at the same time as others. This means I get to talk to my coworkers, often times those who I don't work directly with on a day to day basis, and this has made me feel connected AND resulted in cross-team communication. Wellness is valued and you can use a stipend to pay for gym membership, a new bike, out of pocket medical expenses, etc.. This is by far the best place I have ever worked!

Cons

As in all startups, it's a fast-paced and quickly-changing company. It can be easy to get caught up in this and feel overwhelmed.

Students Third

Current Employee - Course Developer
    Current Employee - Course Developer

I have been working at Udacity full-time

Pros

Great benefits and flexible vacation policy. The opportunity to work with subject matter experts in various fields from top Silicon Valley companies and from universities. Some truly awesome colleagues.

Cons

Senior management has no long-term strategy: they overanalyze every single twitch in a metric instead of focusing on the big picture. The company has compromised its core value ("students first") several times in the pursuit of shipping fast. Questionable marketing strategy: many in the company seem deluded into thinking that Udacity is a big name in the education business. Extremely high turnover rate (especially among the truly awesome, hurting the business badly) and barebones engineering support. Little opportunity for career advancement.

Stop obsessing over metrics so much and focus on product quality. Invest in marketing: Udacity as a brand is almost unheard of outside of your SV bubble. Stop focusing on shipping fast: it kills student trust in our product. (Ever do a Google search on nanodegrees? Most of the comments you find are pretty bad.)

Stressful, but that's the price of changing the world

Current Employee - Course Developer in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Course Developer in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Udacity full-time (more than a year)

Pros

It's awesome to be touching so many lives in a positive way. It's great to get to be continuously learning. The people are the smartest and hardest working I've ever met. The office culture is fantastic. Catered lunch and snacks are epic.

Cons

Very tight release schedule. Often working on classes outside of expertise, which is a great opportunity to learn new stuff, but can also be overwhelming. The product suffers from feature creep coming from management. No more dogs in the office.

So many pivots my head is spinning. I have so many questions that I feel like I can't get a straight answer to. What are we making, is it working, what's the future of the company look like, are the things we're promising to students legit?

Loved working with the Course Manager team

Former Intern - Course Manager in Mountain View, CA
    Former Intern - Course Manager in Mountain View, CA

I worked at Udacity as an intern

Pros

I worked as a Course Manager intern here in Summer 2014. Friendly people, great office, lovely food, fun Fridays-- and I was getting paid to take their classes and learn stuff! Overall I had a great time.

Cons

Weren't any real cons, other than having to work weekend shifts sometimes.

Fast-paced and fun, with an emphasis on doing what's best for students

I worked at Udacity

Pros

The people are fun, the problem (online education) is interesting and has a lot of space for the company to keep expanding.

Cons

The company is still finding its footing a little bit in terms of what market it is going to serve. I think they have a good game plan going forward, but when I was there it was sometimes hard to keep up with all the changes.

Keep up the good work

Past its prime...

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

I worked at Udacity full-time

Pros

Great office perks. My coworkers were generally great people to be around. A pretty good place for a fresh college graduate before moving on to greener pastures with real career development.

Cons

Can never seem to fathom a reasonable market strategy. Incredible egos in management who pay fealty to their career first, but are highly, highly inexperienced. Shady growth hacking techniques as pointed out by some of our customers. Almost no effort made to measure student learning or outcomes. Very little in the way of career growth, unless you aspire to management.

I feel bad for the numerous inexperienced employees who try so hard to deliver value to the users, but simply cannot do them justice.

Open your eyes to the amount of talent that is leaking from the company. Exhibit mentorship and career guidance for your more junior employees, as protege/mentee relationships are vital to high retention.

Rethink the user experience. I understand the need to make customers aware of your products, but by taking measures to disenchant the user base, you are doing yourself a disservice. In Silicon Valley, the size of your user base is everything. It is one of the primary metrics that signal valuation to your investors.

Empowering company truly trying to change the world, on its way to figuring it out

Current Employee - Engineering & Product in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Engineering & Product in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Udacity full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Leader in an important, empowering space, feels exciting to blaze a trail that matters and feels like a major opportunity
    More independence than any company I've been at (5 other Silicon Valley companies)
    Nice, passionate people who are committed to impact and demand a lot of leadership to get us there
    No barriers/politics/etc. to getting things done
    Transparency across all levels, even exec mailing list is company-public

Cons

Not enough engineering to get all the important things done
    CEO is out of office a lot
    Internal processes are still being figured out (company is 3 years old)