Udacity Reviews

3.9
Sebastian Thrun

A Gem of a Place to Work

I have been working at Udacity

Pros

Talented and engaging people trying to provide free pathways and more affordable paths to promising careers. Leadership team is open, transparent, and ambitious. Success is celebrated on teams and across the company. Everyone is motivated by the success of students, and we continually improve courses, career resources, and the learning experience overall.

Cons

Curriculum design is tough, and it can be hard to design for students at scale. I enjoyed that challenge. Sometimes I didn't have enough resources, such as other subject matter experts, content knowledge, or agreed upon vision for a course, to be as effective as I'd like to be. If you live in the San Francisco, the commute wears you down.

Advice to Management

Continue to develop opportunities for people to grow and take on more roles or responsibilities at the company. Carve out learning time for professional growth aligned to employee goals and company goals. Develop more strategies to keep course development on track. More transparency in course development for all parties is better. Stay Udacious.

2. Who's in charge?

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Udacity full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Awesome vacation policy, nice people, tons of perks (lunch, dinner, snacks, booze). Exciting place to work.

Cons

No management and what little structure is there is poor. More interested in promoting internally then finding someone with experience to lead. No clear job growth which can be good or bad.

Advice to Management

Hire project mangers so that new features can be executed well. Value actual student feedback instead of going on a whim. And don't just name thing a student first because you like the idea.

Stay away - toxic environment

I worked at Udacity full-time

Pros

Udacity's mission (to make tech education for accessible) is really exciting and there's a huge market for the type of offering Udacity hopes to provide.

Cons

I've worked for several tech companies at this point, and Udacity is the worst environment I've encountered. Unfortunately Udacity is a horribly toxic environment to work in. Many leaders at the company are young and not qualified for their roles, and are focused on defending their status as opposed to doing what's right for the company and their teams. This ultimately leads to a shockingly political and negative environment.

Advice to Management

Focus on hiring a leadership team that's more qualified to lead Udacity's mission. Stop making drastic changes based on gut feelings and start paying more attention to target user feedback and needs.

Udacity is fast-moving and really cares about students' success

I have been working at Udacity full-time (More than a year)

Pros

People come to work at Udacity because we really care about students' success in a new model of education. We're learning about learning by doing. As the graduates of our Nanodegrees are starting to get jobs, the payoff is already happening. What could be more awesome!

Cons

This is a startup. We work overtime (but on cool projects and are well fed). Sometimes we are stressed to our limits, but we don't break, we reflect and come up with a better plan, again and again.

Advice to Management

Keep it going!

CEO

I have been working at Udacity full-time

Pros

Flat Management Structure, room to grow, intelligent workers who engage with their product

Cons

product is older and not up to date, lacks relevant certification

Advice to Management

Engage more with the outside world, and focus on the customer when creating the product

Company cares about empowering students

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Udacity full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The mission focus is excellent - the company really cares about providing the best education and experience for students. Office camaraderie is great, and provided meals mean everyone's hanging out together even when not working. Benefits/perks are generally very good.

Cons

The open floor plan and office fluorescent lighting makes for a somewhat subpar working environment. A culture of working anywhere with laptops mitigates this somewhat (couches, outside, from home, etc.)

Advice to Management

While empowering individual contributors is a worthy goal, it needs to go hand-in-hand with a strong, well-communicated vision from leadership. The first part is there in spades, but sometimes that second part can feel like it's missing!

Amazing company with a mission to give people a chance to live a better life through education

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Udacity

Pros

Great coworkers Amazing benefits (100% covered insurance) Transparency - We always know what the leadership team is doing & thinking. All Hands Meetings once a week - great communication across teams Super Flexible schedule - as long as you get your work done, no one cares what time you get there The President is here every day and is very involved, he's always talking to various employees and getting feedback and ideas.

Cons

too many meetings (please reinforce no meeting thursdays)

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing! Promote internal mobility more

The most fulfilling educational environment I've ever worked in.

Current Employee - Course Director in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Course Director in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Udacity full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I've worked in education my entire adult life, but I've never found a place so adamantly and truly student-oriented as Udacity. Every single element of the company is structured toward improving the students' learning and experience. Udacity loves its students, and I don't mean just that they appreciate their students: they LOVE their students. They want the best for their students, they want to improve their students lives, they want to help their students reach their goals. There is a pervasive belief that if they create value for the student, profitability and other business concerns will follow. It's truly inspiring and fulfilling to be part of an organization that is so passionately and completely devoted to its students. Aside from loving its students, Udacity loves its employees. We're encouraged to try new things, branch out, work together. The benefits and salary packages are incredible. There's ample reward and recognition for jobs well done. The office is a blast to be in. It's just a fantastic, fantastic place.

Cons

The only "problem" with working at Udacity is that things can move so far that it becomes easy to get lost. Of course, that's part of what makes the company enjoyable to work for: there's always something going on. It can certainly be overwhelming at times, though!

Advice to Management

Keep doing exactly what you're doing.

inspired, Supported and Challenged

Current Employee - Project Manager in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Udacity (Less than a year)

Pros

We are encouraged to act quickly when we see areas where we can contribute. If you fail, you communicate how it happened, what you learned, then move on and no one spends time making you feel guilty about it- failure is touted as crucial to innovation! Lunch is delivered at the same time each day, which contrasts in my experience to other companies, where you may or may not be eating at the same time as others. This means I get to talk to my coworkers, often times those who I don't work directly with on a day to day basis, and this has made me feel connected AND resulted in cross-team communication. Wellness is valued and you can use a stipend to pay for gym membership, a new bike, out of pocket medical expenses, etc.. This is by far the best place I have ever worked!

Cons

As in all startups, it's a fast-paced and quickly-changing company. It can be easy to get caught up in this and feel overwhelmed.

Stressful, but that's the price of changing the world

I have been working at Udacity full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It's awesome to be touching so many lives in a positive way. It's great to get to be continuously learning. The people are the smartest and hardest working I've ever met. The office culture is fantastic. Catered lunch and snacks are epic.

Cons

Very tight release schedule. Often working on classes outside of expertise, which is a great opportunity to learn new stuff, but can also be overwhelming. The product suffers from feature creep coming from management. No more dogs in the office.

Advice to Management

So many pivots my head is spinning. I have so many questions that I feel like I can't get a straight answer to. What are we making, is it working, what's the future of the company look like, are the things we're promising to students legit?

RSS Feed </> Embed