Uhlig

Updated October 18, 2014
1.9

Mark A. Uhlig

Controlling, Boring, and Office Space-Like

Former Employee - Software Developer I (Coldfusion)
    Former Employee - Software Developer I (Coldfusion)

I worked at Uhlig full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The people who work here are nice and helpful, company is growing, building looks nice, HR is really good

Cons

Us vs Them mentality, management wants to control every aspect of your time there, IT department is horrendous, feels right out of the move Office Space. The turnover rate for engineers is ~50%, this is a huge red flag!

Work Life Balance is really bad, time off is extremely confusing. Management needs to trust its workers better. I took a pay cut just to get out of there.

Avoid this company

I have been working at Uhlig part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Some employees are neat to work with.

Cons

Management treats employees like children. Poor pay. Medical and dental plans are among the worst. Employees must take turns cleaning the breakroom. Poor morale in many departments. Terrible culture when compared to other companies. No annual reviews, so no annual raises. Company seems to be a "dog and pony show" when compared to other companies who seem to value their employees.

OK experience

Former Employee - Controller
    Former Employee - Controller

I worked at Uhlig full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Growing Company, Relatively new office

Cons

No career path, a lot of rules, treat you like elementary school kids, have to ask to go to lunch, strict 8:30 - 5:30 work hours

Give employees more decision making abilities and freedom.

Good for a starter job out of college to get experience.

I worked at Uhlig full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

My co-workers were the best, it was the main reason I stayed for as long as I did.

Cons

I worked at this company for 5 years, and saw two raises in my time here. I will preface this with the fact that you had no idea when you would get a raise; as there is no annual review process in place. There is no incentive for going above and beyond in your job - "it all pays the same" was a phrase I heard in the office quite often.

The personal time off allotted per employee is rather low. You get 10 personal days, after 5 years of service you get 15 days. It takes 10 years of service to get the max of 20 days. Your personal days are for everything: sick, vacation, personal, etc. Six holidays per calendar year are paid. In addition to the six you get the choice of one floating holiday: you can choose between Black Friday, Christmas Eve or New Years. Your floating holiday's usage is contingent upon your departments coverage. No bonuses are offered.

If you are sick and need to call in, you have to do the following: call your direct manager, call HR and leave a voicemail, inform one employee in your department that you will be out, and upon your return fill out an electronic form you will have to submit to get paid. To say the least - the time off policy was overly complicated! I felt like they made it strategically complicated to discourage you from calling in. The company was also strict when the weather was bad. They would send out company-wide emails the day before an anticipated snowstorm to let you know that they expected you to do your best to be there on time the following day. Many of my co-workers felt these emails were insensitive, when they should have clearly focused on our safety.

No room for growth in your job depending on the department you are in. Flexible schedules are not offered.

In order to retain quality people, you have to treat them right and communicate information. Too often the employees I worked with felt like management kept secrets to maintain a heirachy of perceived power.

Offer flexible work schedules to your employees, 8:30 - 5:30 doesn't work for everyone. Recognize employees who are doing a great job for you, not just through the "Process Improvement Model" submissions. To be honest, more often than not my co-workers felt underappreciated, and that no one in management cared. You can't tell your employees how great a company is doing, when there are no raises or bonuses seen.

Offer competitive pay. Put a system in place for annual reviews, and communicate to your employees when reviews will happen - not having a system in place leds to "hearsay" and a rumor mill work environment.

There should be an open door policy for employees when questions arise, the company needs to work on open and honest communication. Not much transparency currently here.

Employees need feedback on the jobs they do.

Streamline your timeoff policy.

Focus on what matters! Working in a pristine building is not the first thing your employees care about. Making your employees feel appreciated is what will make and keep your company growing. If your employees aren't vested in your company there is a reason.

Terrible Culture, very strick / boring.

Current Employee - N/A
    Current Employee - N/A

I have been working at Uhlig full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Nothing comes to mind except they provide you with a check.

Cons

All managers / execs. Lots of gossip, unprofessional. The culture and leaders will kill this place. Young hires will instantly look for better work environment after a few days to weeks.

Do not recommend.

I worked at Uhlig

Pros

Nice building and location. Easily accessible.

Cons

They have a saying: "There is no such thing as bad weather, only bad planning."
    Due to constant "shake ups" and shuffling within departments, some employees do not end up performing the job they were hired for. Upper management does not trust their adult employees to do the job they pay them to.

No bonuses, no scheduled annual reviews. PTO policies and procedures are complicated. Benefits are sub par. Working hours are NOT flexible. Employee departments have break room duty, which includes taking the trash out and making sure the chairs are aligned as to not touch the tables.

There is a complete lack of culture. One of very few perks given includes a 15 minute ice cream break, that employees must take in shifts, every other week, during the summer...

Product is antiquated. With a unsuccessful attempt at a mobile App.

Many employees would sacrifice pay to enjoy being at work, even a little bit. Trust that in your four step interview process, including the final executive panel, you hired a smart, capable person who wants to be successful at their job. The culture is stifling and not conducive to teamwork, innovation, creativity or happiness.

Good job, not career material

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lenexa, KS
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lenexa, KS

I worked at Uhlig full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Enjoy the people there, majority of people are in a great mood everyday and always willing to help if you have questions or concerns.

Cons

The company was very strict, felt like I was not trusted to do my job

More options schedule wise would have been nice as opposed to the set 8:30-5:30.

Sales

Former Employee - Sales in Overland Park, KS
    Former Employee - Sales in Overland Park, KS

I worked at Uhlig full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Nice building, Quality location, Easy commute, New vending machines. Base salary is comparable to other Sales positions within other companies.

Cons

Micro-Managing, Let your Sales Department SELL and quit restricting your employees. Trying to sell an outdated product is hard enough - reward those who put in the time & effort. Not a true sales environment - eyes upon you at all times, no mingling, sharing ideas with others. Unrealistic quotas to meet. Sales pay is completely reversed - base pay is average while bonuses & commission aren't high enough to entice you to sell.

Stop treating your employees like children - You lost a lot of good, young, quality talent due to the fact that Upper Management was out of touch with their employees. Those quality people have gone on to be very successful at other companies.

Great Company

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lenexa, KS
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lenexa, KS

I have been working at Uhlig

Pros

Growing and very innovative company

Cons

Time off policies could be much simpler

Treated like children.

Current Employee - Proofreader in Lenexa, KS
    Current Employee - Proofreader in Lenexa, KS

I have been working at Uhlig

Pros

I only had to work two weeks out of the month.

Cons

Extremely controlled environment. Could not use Internet to look up information. We had to use dictionaries. We couldn't talk to each other without getting looks or talked to. The supervisors sat high up on desks so that they could keep an eye on everyone to make sure we were working every second. We were told there were cameras watching us also which creeped me out. Overall, it felt like we were in jail and that we couldn't be trusted. It very much felt like a "them vs. us" atmosphere.

Treat your employees as adults and pay them what they're worth. If you're going to pay for all those background checks and extensive interviewing, trust that the people you hire are going to do a good job without you having to watch them every second.