Uinta County School District #1

2 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
3.5
CEO

1. Well-behaved, if not overly academic kids.

Pros

Good salary for teacher; proximity to SLC; lots of good opportunities for extra pay (coaching, etc.)

Cons

Authoritative administration; plan on having some new, big initiative every year (and for that last big initiative to be thrown out the window)

2. Wish I Would Have Known Sooner

Former Employee - Teacher
    Former Employee - Teacher

I worked at Uinta County School District #1 full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good salary and benefits. The administration really tries to create programs that improve retention. I liked most of my co-workers and the student issues are not nearly those of working in a larger city district. Park City is nearby and so is SLC. If you love skiing, biking and hiking, this is one of the best places to be. The area is beautiful. Also my hours are routinely manageable and I didn't have to do crazy overtime like many of my colleagues

Cons

I really wish I would have known more about the LDS faith before I came. I am Christian and a regular church-goer so I didn't even think it would be an issue. However, their politics run the town -- big time. LDS are fairly well-meaning people, so it is really only a problem when you are a female and in a somewhat authoritative position. This district is extremely misogynistic. The women will all work hard to discount and discredit your opinions because it makes them uncomfortable to think that women could be in charge. I am an extremely capable and (was) confident person and this district has got me second-guessing every decision I make. Your male supervisors will act like you are a crazy whiner that blames everyone else. Do not come here if you are female and take your career seriously, you will not be happy.

Advice to Management

Look into actually enforcing your policies on fair treatment and discrimination and backing it up with administrators who are willing to see all the back-stabbing for what it is and do something about it. If not, you will not be able to hold on to any talented female employees for very long.

RSS Feed </> Embed